Just saw a split in the rubber - would MS replace this?

LucyLovely

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
How long have you had your band? I'm just curious. I have had mine since November with no problems, just wondering when I should expect this to happen if it is a known defect!

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Are people standing on these things? Mine sits on a desk, gets put on for the gym, cleaned, back on then back onto a desk when I get home. It's treated with respect and i have no signs of anything breaking (so far).

I'd just like to know... .

LarsCor

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Some people just wear it 24/7, even during sleep.

I had the split after about 4 months (wearing it 24/7, even during sleep), and before that I also could not imagine how this thing would split, and what the heck people were doing with their bands to get it split. Until, of course, my own device broke. I saw it coming for quite some time, after noticing white stripes at both sides of the screen, that were a little pointy/rough. After a while, that was the exact spot the tear appeared.

anon(5327127)

May 25, 2011
Visit site
100% the correct size for you?

I had the Band 1 for a year without issue and had that on over many nights and during the days etc. No issue but being kind to the Band 2

Husky44

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
My new one is in the mail. I've had it since Feb. No signs of cracking (I was watching for it), then got back from my run last Monday, and cracked from one side to the other. I wear mine 24/7 except for charging. I wear a large, fit snug to my arm. Not too big for me. I really wish I knew when/why mine cracked. It wasn't, then it just was...

anon(2523636)

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I was initially sceptical about the splitting issue assuming it to be overuse in some way. I've had mine for 6 months and take excellent care of it, and don't partake in any overly vigorous exercise, and it was all looking good....until Saturday. I woke up on Saturday morning (I sleep with it on for sleep monitoring and alarm) and there were 2 splits, about 1cm from the screen on the rubber on each side (pretty much as the picture above). There really does appear to be an issue at that point - the strap certainly took no trauma, both in its 6 month life, and especially that night. I have shipped it back with a warranty support call, I have made it clear that this was not user caused damage - it will be interesting to see if they replace it or ship it back - if they don't replace I will definitely be escalating.

Husky44

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
You shouldn't have any trouble. MS has done a great job of turning their support /customer service around. After I mine back, I got a "cancelled" status online. I was really ticked! I chatted with customer service. It turns out at the serial # was incorrect... They had to cancel to back the bad # out. Customer service rep said they'd track it for me. I got my replacement today.

bcraig94

May 25, 2014
Visit site
My band split in the exact same place as well! With the amount of people on this forum complaining about this issue it must be a pretty common problem.

andrewstuart

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
My band split in the same place after 3 months with no abuse, just using it how it should be used. JB HiFi replaced with no questions asked, they didn't even check the returned band. After every activity (work out, soccer/ football) I clean the band as recommended, I treat it with kid gloves. Hopefully (but is a concern) it doesn't happen again but my guess is they will all break with use (yikes)!

zei20t

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Sydney, Australia, store changed it no questions asked. the replacement (with new warranty) feels slightly different, the band is made from stiffer rubber or something.

anyway, happy i have a new one with 12 months warranty!

insight3fl

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Got mine in November. Just went to put it on and torn open band on right side. Rubber looks like it is very thin there. Set up replacement ticket to send back. I too did not think mine was going to be a problem. I wear mine pretty much 24 / 7 Been careful with the sunscreen as I know it wreaks havoc on synthetic plastic / rubber materials. Anyone have any problem with mail replacement? I know the store will do it but mine is 100 miles away

tweedie

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Got mine on 1st of March and after 2 months of light use wearing it 24/7, yesterday, I got the dreaded split as well. Thankfully argos will do me a refund.

Not sure whether I would be getting another one to be honest, because by the sounds of it, it is a common problem and just after 2 months of use, it must be a design fault. it fitted me perfectly and don't want to be stuck with a broken strap if I was out of warranty period. Shame cos its a great little device. WP_20160503_10_07_30_Rich.jpg

zei20t

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
apparently they are aware of the issue and changed the band's band material.

my new one feels different to the old one............

LarsCor

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Yeah I thought so as well. But might be just that I got used to a well worn Band, and the new one is just stiff and all. Time will tell, after three months we should know more :)

anon(2523636)

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Got my replacement today, and unlike previous times when I had my Band 1 warranty replaced, it appears to be a new boxed one. When I had my Band 1 replaced I got a plain brown repackage box, this time it is a pristine retail box.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss