Keeping the 360 a bit longer?Not buying the One right away

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I love Microsoft. I love buying products first. But I got this 360 (current gen, not the new E3 one) less than 3 years ago. It is prepared to last a bit longer.

Like Microsoft did the the 360 (Arcade, Core, Pro, Elite, and slim) I except them to release an updated 2nd generation Xbox One hopefully in E3 2015 or earlier. I don't use the Xbox much, and I expect it to play next generation games. It might not be as good, but it is good enough and I can wait for the 2nd generation One.

Anyone else with me? Or will you all buy One's now? Or buy a PS4? Vote in the poll.

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I'll likely get a 1st gen one, but I dunno about being lined up for it outside a store or preordering.

My main issue is backwards compatibility, and I was disappointed that neither the Xbox or PS had it. However, with that rumor of a backwards compatibility attachment coming out for the Xbox One, that has me interested.

And really, for me, the backwards compatibility is a huge thing. I have a toddler, and awhile back, he amused himself by forcibly prying open the drive on my 360 over and over again. Now the drive only opens every other time. :(

agentTREIZE

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Wait a little bit and see how people like their system first. A lot of times, the 1st version of a release for a device has a lot of issues with them.

JonnieLasVegas

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I agree with all the posts here. I'm waiting, both for a price drop & to make sure all the 1st run kinks are ironed out. That being said, I really hope to buy both the One & the PS4, eventually.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I may wait a few months.

I'm not necessarily waiting for a price drop. But sometimes there are some cool bundle deals that come up. Like if there's a Halo 5 Edition or something.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Not buying one. For me, it offers hardly any functionality over my Xbox 360 teamed up with media center. I'm trying to get away from cable boxes. I don't want to have to use one just to watch tv.

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Will wait for a little bit at least if I can. My 360 is OLD. I bought it in 2007. Because of RRoD I am on my fourth console. Have had this console since the end of 2008. For this reason I think I'll wait until bugs are found and worked out on the Xbox One before I purchase.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I think that this box has the greatest chance of been reliable, I would imagine they have learnt the $1billion lesson. My issue is the price. Bit high for me, day one editions are still available in the U.K. so not worried.

heelo

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm not paying $500, so I'm just waiting for a price drop. Even if it takes a couple years.

This is a ridiculous approach, and here's why:

Four years ago I returned to The States after being abroad for a few years. The first thing I did was buy a 50" plasma TV for $2000. And every year, without fail, I saw the price of my TV drop ~$300. Today I think you can get my set for about $800.
Every time I saw the price drop I'd talk to my friend about it in terms of "if only we'd waited we could have saved..." And every time he'd correctly point out that in exchange for not waiting we were able to enjoy our awesome TVs during that time.

Same goes for these next-gen consoles. Assuming that you can reasonably afford it, its generally silly to wait for a price drop in order to get the console "cheaper.". You're not saving money as much as you're exchanging the inability to play the console for 12-18 months for a $100 price break. To me, that doesn't seem like good value.

There are caveats, of course:
- If you're holding off because none of the launch it near-launch titles interest you, and you think that a price drop will roughly coincide with the titles you're interested in, that makes a lot of sense, since the console will be inherently less valuable to you during that period.
- If you think a significant price drop might be right around the corner, that's fine. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a $50-100 drop next spring to get closer to or match the PS4. MS probably figures they'll sell out their initial holiday inventory no matter what, and by delaying a responsive price drop to after the holidays they can pocket an extra $200-500M in revenue (assuming they have 4-5M consoles available for the holidays). That would go a long way towards offsetting their losses / razor margins selling the device at a lower price down the road, while also allowing them to be priced at parity (or near parity) when the market becomes more price-sensitive.

TrophyNostalgia

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
I will definitely get the Xbox One. Maybe two years after release... (I'll get the second generation) The non backwards-capability of the Xbox One definitely killed it for me. I have a later generation 60 GB Xbox 360 that is still chugging away, but it has a few issues and it's memory is beyond full. I think I'd rather buy the latest generation Xbox 360 for about $300 and spend my time on all the 360 games I still have that I haven't even touched (still on Assassin's Creed one, I know... I'm a bit behind). But by waiting I've saved so much money, Assassin's Creed II will be free in a few days and the 360 is still going perfectly strong for me in terms of value. Additionally considering I still don't have an HD TV (like I said I'm a bit behind) the new console will probably do nothing for me, as I doubt component cables will even be part of it. So for now this outdated techie will play the waiting game, and enjoy all the current goodness I have. For now I will just get a new 360, and enjoy its durability for quite a bit longer.

Res215dg

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I will be receiving my Xbox One on launch Day along with 2 games

Despite just having picked up the Halo 4 Edition of Xbox 360 last fall for $400- but that console is way too sexy to be put away, so naturally it will be sitting along side the Xbox One:eek:rly:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I use my 360 almost every day, **IF** I can (I'm married with 2 wonderful kids so time is not always there). Right now, I have plans on holding on to my 360 for a while longer (3rd one, RROD problems). I still find a great value in my system and no question I get my money worth on the games that I play. With GTA5 coming out in September and all the DLC's coming for it, it will keep me busy for 100's of hours. Nevermind a few more scheduled games (COD:Ghosts) that will keep my 360 active for longer.

I will get a X1 and a PS4 (esp if Naughty Dog releases a PS4 title), So far, I will but, I want to wait till we see more games for the system. I would prefer to get the next gen games, so if some tiles hit both systems and they are upgraded for next gen (not just converts), I might get one of the systems sooner.

Only thing I worry about is, once I play a few X1 games, seeing next gen graphics, I will not have any more interest in my 360 (compare a modern 360 game with a PC game on Ultra settings, and you'll see my point).

Come on Rockstar, release GTA5 on the X1 and PS4, and no question, I will be getting one on release day :)

Raylz

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Will be getting launch x1s to see it for myself not worried about the bugs and will have my dead rising 3 ready to kill next Gen zombies

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Giving it 2-3 years. Want to keep playing my Xbox 360 (if I can get it in my room now I have a 16:9 widescreen monitor being delivered to me), may jump at the One though in a couple of years for streaming games.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Lots of folks said they were going to wait, but not many voted.

I pre-ordered and paid through Amazon. I can't wait to pick up my CoD: Ghosts from GameStop.

misstyrion

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm waiting to buy the One, only because my 360 is only a year old, and considering it is still undetermined whether or not the One can play old games. Well, that's the deal breaker. I figured I will buy the One when they have more games that I would play, because the only reason I want to get it is for the new game Destiny, but I can still get it for 360 so there is no rush for me.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb