Konami confirms MGS5 720p on Xbox One and 1080p on PS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I don't think the two games play any similarly though. Sure, the setting is "ancient <insert empire>" and both have gore, sure, but that's pretty much as far as the similarities go with actual gameplay. Well, both are more or less hack n slash, but they are still very, very different. I think GoWs have always looked boring as hell, like all games that are similar to that. Ryse then again interested me a lot more from the first trailer.

Given, I've never played any GoW personally, but I did check several different videos sometime last year when I was trying to figure out what all the fuss was about, the game didn't really appeal to me.

Can you expand on what you feel these differences are? I played Ryse on a friend's box and it seemed conceptually similar to GoW. The art styling was different, but actual gameplay was not very different.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Can you expand on what you feel these differences are? I played Ryse on a friend's box and it seemed conceptually similar to GoW. The art styling was different, but actual gameplay was not very different.

I dunno, Ryse feels almost more like a 3rd person shooter (obviously it isnt) but its sort of much slower and I guess realistic whereas in GoW you take on 20 mobs with your weapons that reach 20 yards with some weird magical effects. GoW feels much more like the "usual" hack n slash game. Hell, even DR3 feels closer to GoW to me than Ryse, even if the hisrorical settings might have more similarities with Ryse.. but then again, do they? Ancient greek and rome really arnt the same setting, GoW is way more mythological, where Ryse is more of a.. fictional history I guess :p

I'm not saying GoW is bad, just that I find them very different. If both were X1 titles, I wouldnt even consider GoW from what I've seen, but Ryse I would buy all over again :p

Perhaps as an analogy I could say that both ARMA and Titanfall are FPS games, much like GoW and Ryse are both 3rd person hack n slash games, but outside guns, shooting people and the perspective, ARMA and Titanfall are very different games that have a totally different target audience. And with this example too, I don't care for ARMA (out of experience) but Titanfall I'm buying ASAP :p

Last edited:

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone explain why some developers can make 1080p games on Xbox one while others cannot?

My theory is that many find better balance at higher other graphical details, but lower res. Probably all of em could do 1080p, but they dont find it the best end result. I don't mind this, Ryse is a good example, but yeah, it looks meh in the headlines :p

minus365

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone explain why some developers can make 1080p games on Xbox one while others cannot?

Same concern here. If Xbox1 is capable of running Forza5 1080p/60fps, then the power is there, but i's not utilized to certain extent by developers, mainly for cross-platform games. OK, it may be due to bit more complicated architecture as well as the eSRAM, which is new thing for everyone, not only for MS Devs, but also for other game developers who are working on games for the Xbox1 platform.

I believe, there will be improvements in the near future and we will get to standard 1080p/60fps when neccessary, but that seems to take bit more time than we all would expect. MS needs to work hard on new Devkits and put it as no.1 priority, as that is the major issue which needs to be addressed first.

I agree with Coreldan, more pixels doesn't mean it will look better.. Probably it will be extra opposite. PS4 has mostly all games 1080p, but they have problem to maintain steady framerates. Just look at AC4 for PS4 and compare to Xbox one. There is poor ligthing and high distance detail is simply bad looking on PS4. I can see "fog" in many PS4 that are masking the level od details that needs to be rendered to whole screen, so it saves bit of resources to guarantee higher resolution, etc..

None the less, I wouldn't be so critical as all the panic seems interpreting Xbox1 games looks ****e side-by-side PS4, which simply is not true.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand why you are so worried over it? There can be only one console in the first place of units sold. That doesn't mean second place is far behind and it really isn't, consider how few markets it's actually available in. Xbox One is doing amazing, it's just that PS4 is doing a bit better. So what?

Perhaps you really need to get yourself the PS4, as much as I love my own Xbox One but it gets sore tiresome to read people like you needing to justify their purchase at every turn. I recommend you get yourself a gaming PC though since you care about units sold and power way too much for your own good :p

Xbox One outsold PS4 in the US in December, does this mean Xbox One wins now? :p There's a lot of factors in play when looking at units sold on a monthly basis. That said, it's no secret PS4 currently sells more, the price alone would do that.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
We can sit here and argue all day about PS4 vs X1 but the thing is they appeal to different crowds of people. The PS4 is a gaming console only, while the X1 is not.

Some people think the features on X1 are useless to them and that's fine but to a family man the X1 is far superior. My wife would have never agreed to a a PS4 but the list of features on the X1 made it an easier choice.

My point is if some people want a be all end all gaming console get the steam machine, I mean PS4.

The OP is saying MSFT will lose developers because of bad press and X1 will miss out on next-gen games but as an X1 user I don't think that really affects me as gaming is not the main objective of my X1. Entertainment is, and if I can't have Metal Gear Solid that's fine by me because I can just say X BOX GO TO TV and watch something to entertain me.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I got an Xbox One because I already have a much better console than a PS4 - a gaming PC. If I want bleeding edge graphics, I get a PC game. I don't care enough about PS4 exclusives and graphics on the PS4 AND Xbox are decidedly worse than what I get on my PC.

However, Xbox One has more intriguing features and future possibilities. PS4 is just another inferior PC.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I got an Xbox One because I already have a much better console than a PS4 - a gaming PC. If I want bleeding edge graphics, I get a PC game. I don't care enough about PS4 exclusives and graphics on the PS4 AND Xbox are decidedly worse than what I get on my PC.

However, Xbox One has more intriguing features and future possibilities. PS4 is just another inferior PC.

Amen. Brother. Preach on.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

I'd say it's a few things. For starters, Microsoft provided their eSRAM to try to make up for the speed differences between their own DDR3 and Sony's GDDR5, which is a lot faster. However, developers haven't quite figured out how best to use that small, super-fast RAM to their best advantage. So, that means they aren't pushing the given hardware to its full potential. A good comparison would be Forza vs. Battlefield. Forza released solely on the Xbox One, so Turn 10 could put 100% of its time towards developing for Microsoft's console. Battlefield came from EA, who had to focus on developing for 4 consoles and the PC.

After that, there's the simple fact that not all games are made graphically equal. Turn 10 actually cut back on details (particularly changing the crowd from 3-D to 2-D) on Forza 5, so that likely helped in getting it to 1080p and 60 FPS. Even then, Battlefield and Call of Duty are not graphically equal. Battlefield has to account for a lot more physics and environmental changes, since their maps are so destructible and dynamic. The best way to say it is that it's a lot easier to produce 1080p textures for Frogger than Halo.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

That's all fairly true, and it's why I would take a One over a PS4 myself (have a PC and don't care for Sony's exclusives), but that doesn't mean it's irrelevant that Microsoft's done a poor job with its console. Not everyone wants to play games on a PC--many want to be in the living room, maybe playing with a sibling online. Microsoft just didn't do a great job building a gaming console, sadly. Now, they've put themselves in a position to improve upon it (by freeing up GPU space taken by the OS and Kinect), but the current state of the console is that it's inferior to the competition, when considering internals.

When we're talking about a time where board members want to cut the Xbox division loose, it's important for Microsoft to show that the Xbox is a viable product for them. While the Halo and Forza fans will be there in droves, having Microsoft's console lose out badly among third-party gamers (the Battlefield and CoD folks) means that the console will not sell as well, won't make as much money, and is more likely to be sold off.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I prefer being on the less popular option honestly. I dont feel crippled at all by the things you described. This thing only costs $500. I dont know how anyone can expect crazy specs when my cell phone costs more, my GPU(s) in my computer cost more, my mobo/processor cost more, my student loan payments costs more. While $500 is not a little bit of money, its not a lot either.

Consoles are the quick easy and cheaper way of gaming. And i fully expect Xbox 2 to be released in 2017 or 2018, followed by xbox 3 in 2021. We are not going to see another 10 year console cycle IMHO.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Anti-MS articles sure are a dime a dozen and quick to make it to the headlines. Yet when Battlefield on PS4 had frame rate drops galore, those articles were few and far between. Shocker.

MS has loads of cloud servers available for developers to use to offload some of the processing needs of their games. I wonder why they're not using it? Maybe they don't know how yet?

In regards to looks for me as a gamer, 1080p is a want, but not a necessity. So much more goes into making a good game. A good example is Skyrim. While it had inferior graphics, distance rendering, and scaling when it was released during the swan song of the last gen consoles, it was one of the best games I played during that 7 or 8 year span.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I really don't care... I chose the Xbox for many reasons I did not choose the ps4... This was my first Xbox and I was/still a ps3 owner last Gen.. I still may get a ps4, but I love that the Xbox is the center of the living room. I eally don't game much anymore and that trend may continue, but I don't have to change a channel to play... It is on. My games and media right there..

I am buying into the Microsoft vision and even installed windows on my multi-monitored bad grass xps 8300. Man o man, why did I wait? This one experience may just be super amazing... Now I still love winows 7 and left a few of my babies in the server closet back as the personal benefits and even the slight performance u grades are not enough to test for their much needed operations...

With all the nice things I have, 720 has been far from an issue for my computer and console gaming needs... I am just possibly, maybe considering upping the resolution to a seemingly bigger and better beast that rarely use... Now computers are different, you always beer max red, jk, maybe not :p😎

Last edited:

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
The thing is that you are also looking for those bad news instead of just enjoying the device. Nothing in this thread is something that makes me go "damn, it's a shame my Xbox One is <insert something here>".

At the same time not everything can be improved anymore. They can't change the GPU, they can't change the RAM. Not anymore. Perhaps unfortunate that PS4 managed to bump their specs so late into the development cycle that bumped it ahead of the Xbox One, at the same time there's the Kinect, while awesome, obviously takes away some computing power. The games will, no doubt, improve over time and devs learn to take use of the ESRAM, but this is largely out of Microsoft's hands at this point. At the same time the games run and look and play great, so the only time any of this bothers me is when I come to read these whiny threads :p

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I prefer being on the less popular option honestly. I dont feel crippled at all by the things you described. This thing only costs $500. I dont know how anyone can expect crazy specs when my cell phone costs more, my GPU(s) in my computer cost more, my mobo/processor cost more, my student loan payments costs more. While $500 is not a little bit of money, its not a lot either.

Consoles are the quick easy and cheaper way of gaming. And i fully expect Xbox 2 to be released in 2017 or 2018, followed by xbox 3 in 2021. We are not going to see another 10 year console cycle IMHO.

In some way I hope you are wrong.. I think one of the best things about consoles are that the lifecycles are so long. At the very least the new Xbox should run previous gen games and accept previous gen peripherals, otherwise it ends up terribly expensive.

One reason I switched from PC gaming to console gaming after a 10 year pause from consoles was that I don't have to play the endless game of tag to make sure the new games run on my PC. I also got tired of bad optimization cos of the endless amount of possible HW combinations, also got tired of playing on a computer desk and using a keyboard :p I don't know how they managed to pull off GTA V on last gen HW seeing how old and dated it was, but if that is anything to go by in this console gen, let's go for those 8 years again! :D

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
In some way I hope you are wrong.. I think one of the best things about consoles are that the lifecycles are so long. At the very least the new Xbox should run previous gen games and accept previous gen peripherals, otherwise it ends up terribly expensive.

One reason I switched from PC gaming to console gaming after a 10 year pause from consoles was that I don't have to play the endless game of tag to make sure the new games run on my PC. I also got tired of bad optimization cos of the endless amount of possible HW combinations, also got tired of playing on a computer desk and using a keyboard :p I don't know how they managed to pull off GTA V on last gen HW seeing how old and dated it was, but if that is anything to go by in this console gen, let's go for those 8 years again! :D

I have no doubt that the consoles will last 5-7 years playing games, just with a lower standard, much like PC gaming or Tablet gaming. The new Ipad will play games better faster prettier, but your old Ipad 2 will handle them too. (most at least) If you dont mind your PC games running at lower specs, and well built PC should last you at least 5 years (or more) without having to upgrade. Gradually you might go from Ultra to High to Med but the game should still play. You're going to want to upgrade, but by all means you don't have too. Almost all PC games now come with controller support.

MS's biggest competition is not Sony in the long run... It's Steam. IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo