[L630] Enabling cortana problem [Portugal]

Miguel Correia

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi folks, it is me again. This time i really have a problem (at least i think i do) so here is the thing.
According to some threads on WPC, to enable cortana on Lumia devices outside the US all we needed to do was to change the Region, Lang, Speech, Keyboard to English (US) with some restarts in between, after that and a few downloads we were able to see the cortana and set it up right? So the thing is i followed those threads step by step and no cortana shows up, is she mad at me somehow? Well you know women... (Yes i've tried to check apps definitions tab an check for cortana to enable it, still doesn't shows up there)

No i am serious, i am currently holding the latest refresh update of WP 8.1 (8.10.14157.200 Lumia Cyan) on my Lumia 630. I am in Portugal and I've seen a guy activating cortana in India through the same procedure on the exact same phone (well youtube). So i don't really know what's'jappening!!!
Can you guys guide me through the path of light? Thanks in advance.

Your newest WP fan.
Btw has anyone noticed that now we can close apps on the task manager by swiping them down? Is it new or an old feature? Sorry about my grammar.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Either your firmware inhibits the presence of Cortana, or you are of soft-reset from going at it, I suppose. Okay, the first situation is simply unlikely at this point because I activated Cortana on my Philippine 630.

Alright, good luck, then!

(Also, swipe-down-to-close-from-multitasking screen was introduced in WP8.1, I believe.)

Also, may I ask if your Microsoft Account is set to English?

Miguel Correia

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
Hey Traveler,
Appreciate the fast reply.

I've thought about the MS acc possibility as well, but somehow i can't change it to EN(US). It asks me for a US phone number, which i don't have, so i am not able to finish saving my settings at MS Acc. It's really a weird situation, even that cortana is a matter of pure curiosity to me not a need.

mikeycl

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
You shouldn't need to update or change your account.

One thing a lot of people miss is to make sure that US english is at the top of the list in the languages section in settings.

To do this tap and hold on the language and there will be an option to "Move Up". Make sure it is top most and that no more files need to downloaded in phone update.

restart your handset once all done (hold power button and swipe down DO NOT soft reset)

look in the apps list and Cortana should be visible.

Eduardo Wandscheer

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
In my mom's Lumia 630 cortana is there active with English US language and US region (Keyboard still in portuguese(BR)), but in my Lumia 925 she has disappeared since I've updated to 8.1 update 1. My 925 is updated to Lumia Cyan + Update 1 Preview and I read a lot of topics about the same error....
I didn't test a soft-reset nor hard-reset.. Maybe a hard-reset or Soft-reset can solve the problem..
(Brazil)

Miguel Correia

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
I've also tried the soft reset but nothing seems to make cortana show up. I have not tried without the latest updates, L630 came with 8.1 but i have DP activated and it updated twice in 2..2,5 weeks. I'll just wait, i don't want to drain my phone battery by 40% every time i try to make cortana work lol.

Eduardo Wandscheer

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
My mom's Lumia 630 Dual SIM is with Lumia Cyan + 8.1 Update 1 preview. Cortana works great. And with Pt-BR display language enabled corana shortcut still in app list, but she show me an error when i try to open..
cortana-brasil.jpg

Eduardo Wandscheer

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
After a hard-reset cortana is back again.
and usign these settings:
Region: US
Phone Language and Speech Language: English US
Keyboard: Portuguese (Brazil)
and when i put phone language to Portuguese (Brazil) cortana still on app list but show me an error when I try to start her.
wp_ss_20140903_0001[1].png wp_ss_20140903_0002[1].png wp_ss_20140903_0003[1].png

Miguel Correia

Aug 10, 2014
Visit site
YES!!!!! I've made a hard reset on my phone and starting with English US by default, cortana is not mad at me anymore. Thanks for the answers guys.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium