[L640] It's finally here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
@92GTA: Dial ##3282# to enter field test mode and check the LTE section. If it's connected on LTE then you'll see the details there.

Turns out that does not work on the 640 but it did on my 1520.

My 640 now however is now showing the 4G next so the signal strength. I'm gonna go with yes, the RM-1113 works great with AT&T lol.

JeLLozTime

May 29, 2015
Visit site
first post :)

It's here. I just got my phone from Cricket in San Diego. I have been a Tmobile customer for 4 years, but they don't have it yet and I dropped my 635 today so needed a new phone. I went to a store by my house, they didn't have it but gave me a tip to go to the flagship store as they would have it. (They are all independently owned) I read that Cricket uses ATT signals now and it's cheaper than Tmobile prepaid by 15 bucks for 5GB of data so whatevs. The network is def not as fast as Tmobile (wideband LTE is available here) but the 640 loads web pages faster than the 635. I am clocking less than 10Mb/s with Cricket LTE but was getting 20-30 consistent with Tmobile on the Lumia 635.

Will try it out for a month but I own the phone so I can try Tmobile's network. Will put my Tmobile sim in and test it out some more, but the phone is here if you want to get. I never use wifi calling anyway. $129 plus tax :smile:

WP_20150529_14_41_20_Pro.jpg

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately you'll have to be with cricket for another 5 months before they give you the unlock code to be able to use it with T-Mobile

perpleSlerp

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
first post :)
The network is def not as fast as Tmobile (wideband LTE is available here) but the 640 loads web pages faster than the 635. I am clocking less than 10Mb/s with Cricket LTE but was getting 20-30 consistent with Tmobile on the Lumia 635.

Um, if it loads websites faster then the network would be... faster, not slower. What am I missing?

Ordeith

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Confusing. I think he is saying network speed was throttled by lack of RAM on the 635? Sorry, it's 90 degrees in my house and brain is fried.

Cricket throttles to 10 mbps. But 30 mbps or 10mbps makes very little difference with loading lightweight things like mobile web pages (and really most things a phone would use bandwidth for). Larger memory and faster processors would make a much bigger difference in the speed of loading and processing web page elements and scripts, it more than makes up for the bandwidth constraint.

jantveg85

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
I live in Florida and picked up the 640 at Cricket today. It's been available for about a week or so in my area. It's a great phone for the price! And seeing the Microsoft logo emblazoned on the front and back makes my heart swell with glee.

JeLLozTime

May 29, 2015
Visit site
Cricket throttles to 10 mbps. But 30 mbps or 10mbps makes very little difference with loading lightweight things like mobile web pages (and really most things a phone would use bandwidth for). Larger memory and faster processors would make a much bigger difference in the speed of loading and processing web page elements and scripts, it more than makes up for the bandwidth constraint.

Exactly. Just because specs are nearly the same (both are 1.2Ghz quad core) doesn't mean they will perform exactly the same. If you were downloading files to your laptop it might be different, but real world...web pages come up quicker (and they look wayyy better and larger!)

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Cricket throttles LTE to 8mbps and HSPA+ to 4mbps. From the Cricket Terms and Conditions:
High-speed data access allows download speeds of a maximum of 8 Mbps for compatible LTE devices and 4 Mbps for compatible HSPA+ devices.

jantveg85

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
How about AT&T? Can I use the Cricket Lumia 640 right away?

You can use AT&T phones on Cricket right away but you can't use Cricket phones with AT&T. You have to wait however many months it is in order to get the phone unlock code and then you'd be able to use it on AT&T.

siggi200

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
Hey,

so does it now work ? I mean that the Lumia 640 works on ATT ? If so I am willing to pay the additional price - where did you buy it again ... sorry for re-asking... but it got confusing after all that many threads around that topic.

Turns out that does not work on the 640 but it did on my 1520.

My 640 now however is now showing the 4G next so the signal strength. I'm gonna go with yes, the RM-1113 works great with AT&T lol.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
T-Mobile announced on twitter that the 640 wouldn't be out on t-mobile channels until July 16, sigh.

However, MetroPCS is having a contest that gives away Lumia 640's to all contestants who win, and the phones are being given out/the contest ends on June 15th. Which means that both MetroPCS and T-Mobile might release it on that day, too.

So there are two dates for you. Hopefully the latter not the former, as I have a friend who is not willing to wait til the 16th of July to buy this phone from T-Mobile.

scottdanpor

May 28, 2015
Visit site
I'm using the HK RM-1113 in Canada on the Bell network with no issues. Full LTE speeds (the icon shows 4G). Didn't need to edit any APN settings at all. Kept the original rom, just set everything to english and ready to go. Got it from Ebay.

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
T-Mobile announced on twitter that the 640 wouldn't be out on t-mobile channels until July 16, sigh.

However, MetroPCS is having a contest that gives away Lumia 640's to all contestants who win, and the phones are being given out/the contest ends on June 15th. Which means that both MetroPCS and T-Mobile might release it on that day, too.

So there are two dates for you. Hopefully the latter not the former, as I have a friend who is not willing to wait til the 16th of July to buy this phone from T-Mobile.
That date from T-Mobile was determined to be a mistake.
T-Mobile Lumia 640 still expected for spring release | Windows Central

Summer begins June 21st, so anytime before then would still be considered Spring.

comicalmoodydan

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
One of my local Walmart stores had a tag for the 640 today but they had sold out. I'm expecting/hoping that the device will be available very soon! This picture was taken at a Walmart in Kingsport, TN.

WP_20150603_003.jpg

comicalmoodydan

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Walmart here has the tags, and still has three on order. New associate told me it would probably be next week...which is what I was told last week.

I didn't bother to flag an associate down, Walmart associates are hard to find and most of the time useless so I figured I'd just check in now and again to see if they ever get it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire