Lastest mail app doesn't launch in continuum mode!!!

73blazer

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
On HP Elite X3 it updated the mail app last night and since then, the mail app is not launchable in continuum.
I also reproduced this on my old LUmia 950XL, it had been off for 2 weeks, I pulled it out, launched continuum, launch mail, no problems. Updated mail app to latest, mail no longer launches in continuum mode.
This is a HUGE problem, and seems reproducible. Is anyone else seeing this?

To be clear, when hooked up in continuum, you still can launch mail on the phone screen. but trying to launch mail on your external continuum display, crashes.
I tried wired and wireless continuum dock modes and different monitors, and thru the HP desk dock. All have the issue. launch mail, you see outlook logo for a second, and back to home screen or whatever screen you were on. I rebooted, no change in behavior.

I also contacted a friend of mine who uses continuum, he has the same issue. This seems a clear bug in the latest mail app.

Last edited:

73blazer

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
Nope.
Tried support, worthless.
They sent me from outlook support to b2x (who supports mobile),all worthless generic stuff, try sfot reset, try hard reset,try reloading from windows device recovery tool....none of which worked and was a colossal waste of time). It's quite obvious it's a bug in the new version. Apparently, support has no way to deal with a real problem.
I did find it DOES work with my HP Desk dock in continuum mode, which should be the same as the MS display dock. It does not work in mira-cast wireless mode, and also does not work with the HP lapdock (which I think is using miracast over wired or wireless, but is different than a true "display dock")
So, it's a little more nuanced than I originally thought, but still I would say a major bug.

73blazer

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
When I click that link all I get is a blank web page. I did leave a feedback last week.
I've no desire for "insider" anything, W10 mobile is already buggy enough, I don't need experimental builds.

frriv31

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I tried the Fast-Ring yesterday. This morning there was an update for Mail... Still not working in continuum. Shame on you MS

73blazer

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
Well, that sucks.Appreciate you updating us! I have a case with HP since it doesn't work with the lapdock.Mabey they have more clout with MS mobile developers

73blazer

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
HP has confirmed the issue and is escalating to tier 2 support (Elite X3 devel team) who will get it escalated with Microsoft. Is what they say. At least it's getting some visibility.

73blazer

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
New mail app version came today for regular production. 17.8241.40986.0 . It is still broke in this version. :unhappy:
17.8241.40786.0 is the first version that breaks it.

PerfectReign

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
Just saw this thread. I was using the mail app all day yesterday on continuum on my X3. I am on the latest fast ring build and just noticed the app updated. I'm not sure how to check the version.

I'll.retry continuum tomorrow as I'm in the field today

5bf548fd6bbc20fe38c62d80d12e2111.jpg

73blazer

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
It works with the desk dock. I have one too. It also works with ms display dock with a 950.
It does not work with the lapdock in wired or wireless mode, or via native mira-cast with several different displays tried including samsung and LG. I'm told it also does work with the MS wireless display dongle via mira-cast.

73blazer

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
I was assured today by HP, level 3 support this time (R&D), real person in the US, that they know about it, they are pushing MS to get it fixed, MS knows about it, and is in the process of fixing it. I'm inclined to believe them because my case was passed to another person who actually called me and re-iterated the issue to me in using their own words, not just reading my case txt back to me. They also added more info in the nature of the issue. . The MS engineer is supposed to give an ETA to HP on a fix when they return on Wednesday, which they say, they'll relay to me.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Working for me. I connect to my Surface 3 wirelessly and use the keyboard and trackpad on the Type Cover.

lSvfAXx.jpg

Sent from my Elite x3 on mTalk

73blazer

Mar 1, 2016
Visit site
Again, it's native mira-cast or connecting to hp's lapdock in wired or wireless mode.
It wors with my MS display dock, or HP desk dock. But not with lapdock or any mira-cast to a display.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Again, it's native mira-cast or connecting to hp's lapdock in wired or wireless mode.
It wors with my MS display dock, or HP desk dock. But not with lapdock or any mira-cast to a display.
I use it wireless as you can see in the picture above.

Sent from my Elite x3 on mTalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)