Latest Cumulative Update KB4090913 fails?

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi folks, I just can't get today's Cumulative Update KB4090913 installed. It always undoes any changes at 96% giving the error code 0x800f0922 before redownloading and going through the same failed cycle again. I've tried checking system files, removing all USB devices, running the Windows Update troubleshooter, manually downloading the update, nothing has worked.

Is this just me? The cryptic error code seems to indicate that the update file is bad as far as I can tell? I use Win 10 Pro x64, so does everyone with that sku of Windows see this? If it is just me, has anyone got around this issue before or am I going to have to reinstall Windows or some such drastic measure?

Listatta

Mar 7, 2018
Visit site
Feeling your pain, have 1 surface pro that it went fine on, 1 custom desktop it went fine on, 1 dell that i've been at it trouble shooting for over 5 hours now, will update if i find a fix

Update! Fixed it! found an old post (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...nloading/2c790b4b-655d-411b-ad77-a156dbe648c1) that fixed the issue for me:

Let me back up first: I have an internet connection error that hit just as my computer was in the startup/update process that ended up with KB4090913 showing it was installed in the windows update app successfully and ALSO showing just a bit later that the same KB4090913 had also failed.

When I went to try and uninstall the update KB4090913 was not listed and I couldn't uninstall it.

To check this you open settings>updated and security> toward top of page under check for updated click on view installed update history> here you can see what the app thinks is happening and at the top of the page you can see uninstall updated link, click on that and you can then see in the control panel the actually "registered" updates (my KB4090913 was missing from this last page)

so i followed the below directions, then clicked on restart (and yes it still said update and restart) and let it restart and logged back in, it failed for me because that was the restart that was clearing the garbage out of memory, so don't panic!

I then went to settings>update>check for updates
downloaded and restarted again

everything seemed to go ok as it should

then settings>update>check for updates (all over again)
it showed no updates were needed

double checked and KB4090913 was showing latest post as it was installed, checked in control panel too and it's updated too.

Word of advice, if you are using a VPN make sure you shut it off before restarting your computer for updates and make sure it doesn't automatically start up with computer system

Directions referenced from above from MS tech support page: Let us check the system Files.To do this do both of these:

Perform System File Check (SFC)
Follow the steps:

a. Press “Windows Key" to open Start menu

b. Type “cmd” without quotes in the search box.

c. On the left pane, right click on the “cmd” option and select “Run as Administrator”.

d. Type ‘sfc /scannow’ without quotes and hit enter.

run the System update readiness command. It detects incorrect manifests, cabinets or registry data, it may replace the incorrect data with corrected version available. Follow the steps.
Open Command Prompt as indicated above.
In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press Enter key after each command:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type Exit, and then press Enter.

back to my wording: restart, update again, restart, check updates again and should be fixed.

Last edited:

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Feeling your pain, have 1 surface pro that it went fine on, 1 custom desktop it went fine on, 1 dell that i've been at it trouble shooting for over 5 hours now, will update if i find a fix

Update! Fixed it! found an old post (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...nloading/2c790b4b-655d-411b-ad77-a156dbe648c1) that fixed the issue for me:

Let me back up first: I have an internet connection error that hit just as my computer was in the startup/update process that ended up with KB4090913 showing it was installed in the windows update app successfully and ALSO showing just a bit later that the same KB4090913 had also failed.

When I went to try and uninstall the update KB4090913 was not listed and I couldn't uninstall it.

To check this you open settings>updated and security> toward top of page under check for updated click on view installed update history> here you can see what the app thinks is happening and at the top of the page you can see uninstall updated link, click on that and you can then see in the control panel the actually "registered" updates (my KB4090913 was missing from this last page)

so i followed the below directions, then clicked on restart (and yes it still said update and restart) and let it restart and logged back in, it failed for me because that was the restart that was clearing the garbage out of memory, so don't panic!

I then went to settings>update>check for updates
downloaded and restarted again

everything seemed to go ok as it should

then settings>update>check for updates (all over again)
it showed no updates were needed

double checked and KB4090913 was showing latest post as it was installed, checked in control panel too and it's updated too.

Word of advice, if you are using a VPN make sure you shut it off before restarting your computer for updates and make sure it doesn't automatically start up with computer system

Directions referenced from above from MS tech support page: Let us check the system Files.To do this do both of these:

Perform System File Check (SFC)
Follow the steps:

c. On the left pane, right click on the “cmd” option and select “Run as Administrator”.

run the System update readiness command. It detects incorrect manifests, cabinets or registry data, it may replace the incorrect data with corrected version available. Follow the steps.
Open Command Prompt as indicated above.
In the Administrator: Command Prompt window, type the following commands. Press Enter key after each command:

To close the Administrator: Command prompt window, type Exit, and then press Enter.

back to my wording: restart, update again, restart, check updates again and should be fixed.

Thanks for that, but I tried checking the system files already and they are fine. It didn't help. The only part of your post I didn't try was to 'run the system update readiness command' as I don't know what that is. Could you let me know?

Any other ideas are welcome, from anyone who's got a clue about this as I haven't.

Listatta

Mar 7, 2018
Visit site
ok, this is a 3 step process once you get into the command line, but first make sure you run command line in admin mode, I actually have the command line liked to the windows start menu so i can right click>more>run as admin, but i'll walk you though the directions step by step where i think it needs explaining:

you will need to click yes to the open the command prompt window as admin
you should now have a window with black back ground and white text, hopefully the last line looks like c:\Windows\system32>

now copy the above part between the ' ' but not the ' 's
put your cursor directly behind the system32> and hit control+v now hit enter

it will take a while to run... just let it run
you will know it's done when you see the c:\Windows\system32> show up again

Now copy the line below and past it just like you did with the above line and then hit enter

this will take a bit of time again, and you know it's done when you see c:\Windows\system32> again

Now copy the line below and past it just like you did with the above line and then hit enter

this will take a bit of time again and once again you will know it's done via the c:\Windows\system32> again.

now: restart you will experience a fail AGAIN don't worry keep going,
update again,
restart again this is where it should work right,
check updates again and should be fixed, as in you should see that "your system is uptodate" type message.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I get that you want me to check my system files. I have done this, I have done it several times. I have just done it yet again especially for you. It still failed to update and continues to do so.

Still looking for solutions.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Yea, and my reserved partition is the standard W10 size (from a clean install) and does not show as anywhere near full. Even a manual download of the update fails, and uninstalling previous updates results in them redownloading and installing fine so my internet connection is fine. As I said, the only indication here is that the download itself is corrupt at source so perhaps my local Windows Update server is handing out a bad file? Anyone know how to get hold of a known good copy, perhaps from another Windows Update server?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Happy