Latest update and stability?

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Since the last update last week, my 928 has been more "herky-jerky".
Mostly when I go to Messages, sometimes it will just hang briefly for a quarter second and show messages and sometimes, it will kick me back to the main screen.

I've seen it happen in other apps as well, but mostly Messaging.

I've done a complete shutdown and power off and back on and still the same thing.

Anyone else seeing this?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Since the last update last week, my 928 has been more "herky-jerky".
Mostly when I go to Messages, sometimes it will just hang briefly for a quarter second and show messages and sometimes, it will kick me back to the main screen.

I've seen it happen in other apps as well, but mostly Messaging.

I've done a complete shutdown and power off and back on and still the same thing.

Anyone else seeing this?

We talking about w10? if so, then yes

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I've been a Windows Insider for W10 Mobile since they offered it. I like where they're going with W10 Mobile so far, the most recent version seems to have more little polished features that make a UX difference.

However, I feel like the builds overall seem to be getting harder and harder to use as daily drivers. In initial releases, the bugs seemed to be small and were kind of related to secondary or tertiary features, stuff I could live without. In the latest builds, although I see more polish, I feel like the bugs are affecting the core features more.

So yeah, I agree with you, I think the latest release seems to be more "herky-jerky". I ended up going back to 8.1 today and man, I forgot how quick and smooth Windows Phone was. I think I'll be sticking to 8.1 until W10 Mobile is ready for prime time.

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Sorry. Windows 8.10.14219.341 according to About. Not 10TP.

Ah, well that defeats my entire analysis!

Anyway, I'm on version 8.10.14203.306 right now. Everything seems very smooth and stable. I guess I'll let you know what happens next time I update.

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Anyone install the latest W10 10149 on your Lumia 928 yet and how is it performing, and were did you start from was it at 8.1 or W10 10136

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Anyone install the latest W10 10149 on your Lumia 928 yet and how is it performing, and were did you start from was it at 8.1 or W10 10136

I'm running 10149 on my 928 and it is working beautifully compared to 10136. 10136 broke some core functionality for me due to apps not being able to update and then becoming completely inaccessible, so I ended up going back to 8.1. Then 10149 came out and I upgraded from 8.1 to 10149 yesterday.

10149 seems noticeably more polished than 10136, and some of the major bugs I was dealing with in 10136 are gone as well. Performance is getting smoother as well, and much more consistent.

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm running 10149 on my 928 and it is working beautifully compared to 10136. 10136 broke some core functionality for me due to apps not being able to update and then becoming completely inaccessible, so I ended up going back to 8.1. Then 10149 came out and I upgraded from 8.1 to 10149 yesterday.

10149 seems noticeably more polished than 10136, and some of the major bugs I was dealing with in 10136 are gone as well. Performance is getting smoother as well, and much more consistent.

Thanks penny, Great to hear it's running better now I would also be updating from 8.1 how did the install go for you any problems I should watch out for? And is this your primary device would you recommend installing or hold off. Does most of your apps work now.

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks penny, Great to hear it's running better now I would also be updating from 8.1 how did the install go for you any problems I should watch out for? And is this your primary device would you recommend installing or hold off. Does most of your apps work now.

The installation went smoothly, but it does take a LONG time, so be patient. I had just reinstalled a clean version of 8.1 without using any backups and moved to a clean version of 10149 without using any backups, so I can't tell you if it will work out as well when using a backup.

I think 10149 is probably the closest version we've seen that can be considered a daily driver. It is still not 100% and you do make some compromises like group chat not working, messaging with Gmail contacts not always showing up, the phone app not showing history or speed contacts, etc. Otherwise, all of my apps work and update now.

I will say that if this is your first time exploring the insider version, it may not be the right thing for you. My 928 is over two years old and I'm overdue for an upgrade, so I don't care about potentially ruining this phone really. If you're also due for an upgrade and don't care about losing your apps/data in a clean install, then I would say there's not much to lose by trying it. (Contacts, photos and other things are synced with the cloud, so they'll all still be there when you hook up your account again).

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks penny_1 for all the info, it was a good just hearing from another 928 owner. I have no problem doing the updating, been there done that I just wanted one other good opinion and I have it thank you, about how long did it take your phone?

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
No problem, glad I could help. I didn't pay attention to exactly how long it took, but I would say well over an hour if I had to venture a guess.

I just kind of left it there updating while working on my PC.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte