Live tiles flat out don't work

MLT7

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
My live tiles stopped working (Email and messaging) The only way I got them to work again was by rebooting my phone.
Microsoft need to keep on top of fixing these types of bugs.
I am really enjoying my new HTC 8X and find it much easier to set up and use than my former Droid 2

randomscandinavian

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Background tasks are blocked for nearly all of my apps, like Facebook and Forecast (weather). The option to turn it back on next time the app is launced is there but does nothing, so I assume this is a feature of some kind and that it should still update. Yet they don't except once in a while.

I would prefer a simple Facebook icon to one that shows six new messages all day when there really are none. Some Live Tiles update when you restart the phone, but others seem to do so only once a day at best.

The battery app Battery Measure is fairly up to date all of the time. It is the only third part app I have that has a fluod Live Tile and the only one listed as allowed in background tasks. This cannot be a coincidence? But why cannot the others listed there be turned on?

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Background tasks are blocked for nearly all of my apps, like Facebook and Forecast (weather). The option to turn it back on next time the app is launced is there but does nothing, so I assume this is a feature of some kind and that it should still update. Yet they don't except once in a while.

I would prefer a simple Facebook icon to one that shows six new messages all day when there really are none. Some Live Tiles update when you restart the phone, but others seem to do so only once a day at best.

The battery app Battery Measure is fairly up to date all of the time. It is the only third part app I have that has a fluod Live Tile and the only one listed as allowed in background tasks. This cannot be a coincidence? But why cannot the others listed there be turned on?
Background task is not always related to push notifications or live tiles. Facebook's BG task is related to lockscreen images only.

randomscandinavian

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Aah yes, you are right. Thanks. Seems odd though to have the checkbox there to turn something on for all these apps when nothing will be turned on by checking it.

Right now on day six as a WP8 user, FB seems to be actually updating. That is to say, the Toast alert and the Live Tile alert are not connected and I am alerted twice. Live Tile will only lose its message number after I had clicked it as well and visited the messages again. Still... it didn't update at all before.

It will all be sorted out in a future update for sure.

WalkerHall

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
First, let me be perfectly clear, I am not a troll.(In my head I am saying this like Rich Little doing Nixon) .My live tiles worked fine on my L920 for a few days after I got it. Some then stopped working. Email, messages, calendar have never stopped working just third party stuff like wpcentral, Facebook, weather,etc. Nothing I did would make them work again. Finally did a hard reset and reinstalled everything. All tiles updated fine and actually worked as they should. Two days later only email,messages,and calendar tiles are live. Would really like to see a solution to this as it is my only beef with the OS. Other than this I love my L920 and WP8.

vedichymn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
My "native apps" have always been fine, but I've noticed that lately any weather app I try and use doesn't ever update it's tile, regardless of whether or not the background task is enabled. Ugh. :(

kevinn206

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
There are a few issues that WP8 has. I am not sure if it's a limitation of the OS or the mechanisms that third-party apps are using. I have observed the following while using the Lumia 710 and now the 920.

1. Toast notification has been 100% on target for these two phones.
2. Live tiles was awesome initially until for some random reasons, they stop updating after a toast notification (Facebook, Kik Messenger, TextPlus).
3. The live tile update does not seem to be synced to toast notification, otherwise, you would get an update on the live tile right away.
4. It seems the update time for toast notification + live tiles + lock screen wallpaper are on different cycle and are NOT triggered at the same time.
5. There's a limitation in the WP8 API that does NOT update the app content after a toast notification. Typically, the app must POLL the server to check for any new data. This is a reason why Kik Messenger CAN'T show the new text message IMMEDIATELY after resuming or restarting the app. I like how Android or iOS can show the user the new text message right away after resuming or restarting the app.

Microsoft REALLY need to improve, and fast, the synchronization of toast notification + live tile + lockscreen wallpaper. Interestingly enough, all of the first-party apps have been perfect with live tiles and toast notification.

PipoDj

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I haven't backread on this one. I am new to windows phone but have been following it since launch. I now own a Lumia 820 and one weird thing i noticed is all live tiles, Native and third party, stop updating after about 30sec they only start updating when i touch the screen or when i press the volume rocker. I thought live tiles are suppose to be live even after 30seconds.

I am kinda disappointed because i have so much faith to WP. Has anyone with windows phone 8 experienced this one? The ME tile which i use so frequently just stopped showing my face after 30seconds. Also i understand that 3rd party apps with live tiles are limited to 30mins of update frequency so idon't have any issues with that. but the native tiles stopping at 30sec is just so... disappointing. :( Just bought my phone last Saturday Feb 16, 2013.

zoolkhan

May 27, 2013
Visit site
tl:dr - workaround on the bottom of this post , its a workaround - not a fix though..

_
For the specimen who think every complain from a low-post-count user must be a troll attempt from an apple infiltrator:

fact: Low post count is natural for people who dont wh0re the forums needlessly.

Need arises, when a user encounters a problem and seeks help - since a real tech-support doesnt exist anywhere in the mobile phone realm.
A forum is the only target to come with worries. Naturally every such post is negative of nature, since no one seeks help with a positive experience..

(I worked in tech support for >10 yrs, i know what i talk about)

This is also the explanation for low post count - ordinary phone users dont sit in the forums and make countless posts for the sake of it, they have jobs and families and other things to do - so many people coming here with genuine issues will be first timers, especially when lumia920 and wp8 is (fortunately) creating a whole bunch of new users bound to hit problems sooner or later.

Now, i am a first time poster here... i use my windows live account, which i generated just for the lumia 920.. i never owned an iphone, and i hope i never will.
(I am brand loyal to NOKIA, not to windows. I love my meegoo and symbian phones who are still operational and receive updates - just as well.)

Now to the problem at hand:
I do have a genuine issue - taht is the livetiles dont update (mail does, but any type of calendar, batterylife or weather apps - they dont..) and because it happenes with many different apps - and many different variation of any of those apps - i blame the OS.

In my case, the "live"-tiles dont even refresh when i touch the screen .. i have to enter the application and initiate refresh from within, and sometimes
that does the trick. Sometimes not even that helps. Since it has worked earlier for a while... i have a few theories along the line of memory leaks, backround process handling, saturated spooling folders ... in any case, smells like a typical bug. Problem is - there is no way to get microsoft personnel
informed about the bug. I have no reason to believe they read my post here..

Now, is it that unnatural that i come here and seek for people who encountered the same and perhaps overcame it somehow? I dont think so.

This isnt trolling, itis often just plain frustration. So how about some help?

LUMIA 920
latest os update available today
i gather from the age of this thread, that the problem is around since many many months..

maybe this helps some of the victims until MS brings out a patch addressing it:
http://www.rbrussell.com/blog/2013/...how-to-fix-stuck-live-tiles-that-wont-update/

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cagkles124