Live Tiles in Andromeda

mc_razza

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
#AskDan

Will the upcoming Andromeda foldable phablet use the now seven-years-old live tiles interface or will Microsoft opt for a different UI?

Cheers

Last edited:

bleached

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
This is a fallacy, you're interpreting what is a coincidence between products that had Live Tiles and products that failed as that being the reason. There might be several explanations for the low sales, a lot of which are not even related to the quality of W10M or Windows Phone. But definitely Live Tiles wasn't one of them.

Is it a coincidence? Windows 8 was certainly hated because of the UI.

I think the chances of this product having Live Tiles is very low. Microsofts has made no improvements to them in years, Paul Thurrot has commented that it won't look like Windows Phone and Nadella himself said it won't look like anything before it. If it has Live Tiles, it will certainly look familiar.

Vincent McLaughlin

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
I would love to see a nice mixture of Windows 10 Mobile and MS Launcher, with Live tiles being part of that. However, I would also like to see that being an option that can be turned on for those of us that would want them. MS Launcher has an option to change the icon folders from square to round. No reason an option to have Live tiles can't be added with Andromeda. I also like the ability to create additional feed pages.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Live Tiles are certainly a thing that identifies Windows as Windows these days. However it should evolve into functions like Interactive Tiles. Another benefit that Live Tile design has is that it's easily scalable, compared to say Icons.

Jun 9, 2016
Visit site
So long as thry actually FIX the Live tiles and make them actually change loke they are suppoaed to for longer than 3 days after a restart, then yes they should keep them.

I dont even know what to do anymore on my Andriod phone without a tile updating to show me something interesting, or having to utilize this crappy notification system.

Darutto

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes and No. I absolutely think they should be an option but I also think they should allow them to be turned off for users who don't like them. Personally I don't like them at all and on both my old Windows Phones and on my desktops I would have to always make my tiles the smallest setting since that was the only way to turn off the "live" part of it most of the time.

I agree with this comment. Not because I don't like the live tiles, but most people is used to the dumb icons and if a live tile could be a turn off for them, then, they should not be there. Also, it might be time for a fresh thing to come.

Darutto

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Maybe because not everyone has so little color in their start menu 2018-02-28_16-16-49.jpg...

I don't understand how can people like this single coloured ugly square box UI
View attachment 138791

W10_4ever

Feb 8, 2018
Visit site
Andromeda should have two swipable homescreens. one with the live tiles and another with app shortcuts ( and widgets if possible) similar to Android. This would make it have the best of both worlds and no use would feel alienated.

W10_4ever

Feb 8, 2018
Visit site
Yes.Andromeda should have two swipable homescreens. one with the live tiles and another with app shortcuts ( and widgets if possible) similar to Android. This would make it have the best of both worlds and no use would feel alienated.

naddy6969

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
I agree with axone ten. Darutto's reply screen is even worse. So instead of 3 colors you have 9 colors? Is that supposed to be an improvement?

The fact that they all look alike means I have to read the text in the square to know what it is. With actual icons, I know just by looking at the icon what it is. Having a tiny icon in the middle of a large square that is exactly the same size and color of 8 other squares makes no sense to me.

The "live tiles" was a good idea, but in practice it simply does not work for many people. The constant blinking/spinning/"hey look at me" is just distracting. I realize everyone here loves them (of course), but this does not represent the world at large.

Provide an option to turn them off.

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Live - iles are pure genius and if Apple had been the 1 to use them, they would have been credited for saving the world. Live Tiles are a must and if it doesn't have them, I won't purchase it or any other device that runs a version of Windows without them. I would rather have Live Tiles than a huge selection of apps. However I am a little concerned that the Microsoft launcher for Android might be a hint at where they are heading with their Mobile OS in the future and I find that unacceptable for a Windows device.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Live Tiles my have a little age on them, but they are still the cleanest looking UI out there. I think MSFT should definitely incorporate them with Andromeda in some way. In reality though if they don't make a push to market this device like they did the Surface when it first came out, Andromeda will be just another great idea that another company will expand upon.

EssThree

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Maybe. They really need more personality, though. The new store tile introduced in the second creator's update was a step in the right direction, but most of the stock app icons are boring and hard to differentiate at a glance. The plain white icons just don't do it for me anymore.

Honestly, MS has clever UI people, and I bet they could come up with something cooler.

Jeevan Pulluru

Oct 12, 2017
Visit site
Who knows!

Tiles are still central to Windows 10 so it would be odd to totally change the experience, especially if it supports any Continuum mode.

My guess is it will be similar to the mobile menu or desktop tablet mode menu.

edit: I see this is in Ask Dan!! My answer remains but perhaps he'll let you know his thoughts too!
To be frank, I want live tiles to be evolved so that they can be interactive as much as possible. Just glancing the data is nice but a bit interactive is also perhaps the next evolution for live tiles.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zahrajooon1254