Looks like I will return the 1520

Status
Not open for further replies.

bruce1099

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I am struggling to get use to the size of the device. I was hoping to be able to use the 1520 as a phone and somewhat a tablet so I dont have to carry two devices. I also have a lenovo Tablet 2 with 8.1 Professional. But the 1520 seems like it is just too big to carry as an everyday phone. Also only the mail app and internet explorer will work in horizonal mode as well as pictures. So the home screen unlike a tablet will not work in landscape mode. This is really frustrating.

I also am frustrated with the problem where an app opens sometimes when I am using my finger to scroll down the screen. Happens quite a bit and of course as others have mentioned the volume and power buttons are hard to get to. I have owned the 820, 925, and a Samsung ATIV Neo and by far the 1520 has the best screen which I do like for reading documents, etc. But I keep convincing myself it is just not realistic to carry this thing around. I have had it for about four days and have forced myself to use it instead of going back to the 925. Anyone else struggling? If so was there a way you were able to resolve?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm like that about the 925. I own the 920 and used to its weight. It would take me a bit to own such a light weight phone such as the 925. Now I don't own the 1520 but my first order of business for me are the practical things about owning a smart phone to begin with. Not to mention, where I am, where I go, how I carry smart phones. Based on that alone, it would be a risk for me to own it as a daily driver. For others, its a perfect solution. I do love the phone though.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry it's not working for you. There does seem to be an issue with apps opening when swiping the screen. I've experienced it a few times but it hadn't been a problem for me yet. I upgraded from a lumia 900 and I'm using my 1520 as my daily driver. No problems with it fitting in my pickets and the only adjustment I had to make is the phone is too big to sit in my cup holder in my car.

I too was thinking that maybe I would try to use my phone as a small tablet instead of buying one but yesterday I went and bought a surface RT.

This phone isn't for everyone. Sounds like you gave it a shot and it didn't work for you. Good luck with your next phone.

w4rmk

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
I am leaning towards returning mine as well and maybe waiting a few months until Windows Phone 8.1 is released that will hopefully fix bugs and add much needed features to the O/S. Hopefully AT&T will also make the 32gb version available by then as well. 16GB is not enough when some games are over 1GB (Halo). The size is an issue for some but I like that Nokia has released a Phablet and is offering phones in different screen sizes unlike Apple who thinks one size fits all. There are many positives about Windows Phone and it seems like the O/S needs another year to fully mature, it's definitely a work in progress for Microsoft.

bruce1099

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. If it behaved as a tablet where more apps would work in landscape mode I might be more pleased. Actually they should have put RT on this beast.

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Eh, they're not for everyone. I'm glad it's for me! :evil: My biggest concern was it fitting comfortably in pants/jeans I wear daily and it does.

trandz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. If it behaved as a tablet where more apps would work in landscape mode I might be more pleased. Actually they should have put RT on this beast.

Its not that big for all of that really.

Then again Im coming from a Note 3 which I grew very used to so this size jump isn't that big to me. I also am not sure if I will be keeping it though. I want to stay on the WP OS but the 1020 is even more than the 1520 off-contract which seems pretty dumb/redundant for me to pay extra for less of a phone. The 1520 camera is god-sent to me lol.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I am struggling to get use to the size of the device. I was hoping to be able to use the 1520 as a phone and somewhat a tablet so I dont have to carry two devices. I also have a lenovo Tablet 2 with 8.1 Professional. But the 1520 seems like it is just too big to carry as an everyday phone. Also only the mail app and internet explorer will work in horizonal mode as well as pictures. So the home screen unlike a tablet will not work in landscape mode. This is really frustrating.

I also am frustrated with the problem where an app opens sometimes when I am using my finger to scroll down the screen. Happens quite a bit and of course as others have mentioned the volume and power buttons are hard to get to. I have owned the 820, 925, and a Samsung ATIV Neo and by far the 1520 has the best screen which I do like for reading documents, etc. But I keep convincing myself it is just not realistic to carry this thing around. I have had it for about four days and have forced myself to use it instead of going back to the 925. Anyone else struggling? If so was there a way you were able to resolve?

I'm not saying you are wrong, but I think you need more time to adjust to this new device than 4 days...

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I walked into an AT&T store on launch day ready to put my cash down for a 1520 and they didn't have any. I even went to the one other store about 20 miles down the road and they also had none. Did I mention this was launch day? The first guy took my info, said he'd call when they came in. Well, he never did call. I decided to take a "wait and see" attitude for the 1520 what with the reviews starting to come in regarding the practically of usage and issues coming in from real users and I am glad I did. I no longer want one.
Don't feel bad about returning it. You gave it a shot and it wasn't for you after all. Wasn't for me either. I'm disappointed in Nokia and the issues they released it with. Back in the day Nokia was number one for quality. If you bought a Nokia phone you were assured of a good solid device 95% of the time anyway.
Now I'm going to see how the 929 plays out. I hope it has fewer issues.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
The apps launching due to the screen not registering swipes sounds troublesome, has Nokia acknowledged this? My Dad gets his 1520 next week.....i feel bad for him because he has grown to hate his HTC Titan for its little bugs HTC never fixed.

I hope Nokia fixes this in a timely fashion as they usually do.

trandz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Also, nothing is made at 100% defect free. Six Sigma is somewhere around a 98% defect free level and thats like the golden standard. People that come complain about the phone when theirs something wrong isnt the general consensus. People having problems are likely to come and write about it than people with no issues.

I love the 1520. I love the OS finally. I tried the HTC gen 1 phone (forgot the name) on Sprint, the Focus, and the 920. All of those phones I thought the OS was not as ready. Now I think it is. I used the top Androids, and iPhones every year and finally WP8 can hang. The OS is so pretty to look at it. The animations when entering apps, the lockscreen, tiles, etc. Loving it and I just bought a 32GB SD card from Best Buy to load all my music and photos. I still have 7.5 GB of free space on the phone itself and already have all of my main apps that I use.

maxavier

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Also, nothing is made at 100% defect free. Six Sigma is somewhere around a 98% defect free level and thats like the golden standard.

When was the last time you took a stats class?? 6sig becomes part of the discussion when defect rates are measured/discussed in parts per million. New electronics might be made of parts that implement this, but consumer grade electronics are too cheap to hope to attain this kind of yield. That is why they are cheap!

trandz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Exactly my point. Its still parts per million and what I was trying to say was that their defects aren't nearly as much as non defective

myoujin

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
2% failure rate too much for 6 sigma. I read somewhere 3.4ppm. It is 0.0034%. Normally bad production line cause in process failure rate 1~2%.

json jett

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
To expect the start screen would rotate to a landscape orientation was a stretch. Totally unrealistic! What was the basis for that thought? The 2520? There are 1520 photos and reviews all over the Internet, and none suggest Live Tiles would stack horizontally. I have used the 1520 since "launch day," and the only complaint I have is it was not available in yellow (or idealistically, cyan). I purchased it for my wife Friday, in red because the yellow one I pre-ordered online was going to be delayed up to 2 December and she had to go out of the country yesterday for five months. She loves the large screen after dealing with an iPhone 4S for two years. Neither of us are hard-core phonaddicts (she uses it with a Nokia purity in-ear headset for talking, Viber, Skype, YouTube and videos), so I cannot say the 1520 is problem-free but I have encountered none. My only dilemma is what to do with the yellow 1520 when it is delivered today? My phone is the 1020, in yellow, and I am content with it; I think it is the best phone available. The only phone that comes close is my two-year-old Nokia N9, which has been relegated to back-up status because of the lack of LTE and apps...

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I would be frustrated with myself as well. Purchasing a device, expecting it to do things without researching it; not being familiar with the size, weight, features. Yes, I'd be frustrated with myself as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb