Looks like new Intel drivers will help a lot! Go get it!

jrhurley

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
ok I am on the insider preview fast ring so I now have the 14251.rs1 release 160124-1059 build on my SP4. when it it finished it updates a new firmware release was ready to be implemented. I did it and the first thing I checked was the graphic card driver version and it had reverted to the november date. I did the manual upgrade again and I have the Intel Corp 12/15/2015 ver 20.19.15.4352 again from the 12/22/2015 file download.

jrhurley

Jan 5, 2016
Visit site
ok in the past 72 hours i have seen a lot of stuff happen with this SP4

first because of an overheating and difficulty resetting the initial SP4 was replaced. the second unit (brand new) seemed to have an issue with the screen where it was flexing too much and causing a trailing line whenever you used your finger to draw. microsoft tech tried to explain that this was normal but i did not see this happen on the original SP4.

now on the 3rd unit which seems to run warm just like the first unit but that was before any tweaks were done. went on the fast ring to see if anything would get better.

that was not the case just before 5pm yesterday the unit had a BSOD and wanted to be recovered in the process it failed recovery and would just reboot to the surface screen endlessly.

was forced to download windows 10 image, put it on a usb flash drive, and then reinstall the OS.

got the unit back up and by the end of today i was back to where i was

I believe that the cause of the corruption may have been a fast ring update that happened about 10 min before i was rebooting the unit after making the power regedit change.

for now no fast ring updates and i have the flash drive with me

turned off sleep mode as after reviewing the event logs i see a pattern with a hardware error that keeps coming up but before the last normal ring update never showed up in the event logs

looks like the sleep mode allows the kernal and processor to continue to run but because some parts of the SP4 are asleep the kernal running in the processor still tries to do stuff with the sleeping hardware. that throws the kernal/hardware error seen in the reilabilaty report in the system event logs this show up as a kernal-connection entering standby message at the same time the reilablity report shows the hardware error

microsoft really built a great device but they blew it on the config side and the connection stand by really seems like it was hacked together.

will continue to work with this 3rd unit and see how it goes

Last edited:

Sharon Kay

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
If we force an install, rather than waiting for the update to come to the Pro 4, will we have a problem with warranty issues if something happens after we install?

Wondering if anyone knows this or has first hand knowledge? Thanks.

dirtyvu

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
No warranty issues. Drivers can easily be changed. And the absolute worst case scenario would be going back to factory defaults.

Gareee

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Ok, I'm still not getting how to manually install a driver on the surface pro 4. I tried the disk option, and browsed to the folder, but it still refused to install the driver update.

Maybe I've been spoiled by the auto updates on my desktop invidia system?
I tried following the setup on the original article page as well with no luck.

I've downloaded both the exe and zip file... can someone post in order the exact instructions to install this driver?

mowinemdown

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
You are probably not hitting the "let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" option. Easy to miss since it is on the bottom

Device Manager>>Display adapters>>Intel HD Graphics xxx>>Driver Tab>>Update Driver>>Browse my computer for driver software>>Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer>>Have disk

04turbowagon

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
I just updated my Surface Pro 4 manually and got the driver version # 20.19.15.4352 with a date of 12/15/2015. Is this correct?
I also get black sections on my bookmark list that disappear once I move the list. Anyone else get this?

My touch also disappears on me and only comes back with a reboot. When it disappears the touchpad still works. Any fixes?

Gareee

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
You are probably not hitting the "let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" option. Easy to miss since it is on the bottom

Device Manager>>Display adapters>>Intel HD Graphics xxx>>Driver Tab>>Update Driver>>Browse my computer for driver software>>Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer>>Have disk

When I do that, I navigate to the folder with the intel drivers in it, and the system tells me the best drivers are already installed. Or do I need to navigate to a folder inside the intel driver folder? My driver is dated 11/30, I think.. obviously not this new one.

Torstenlaw, as far as touch stopping working.. do you have a lamp or any electronics on your table where your surface is at? I've found plasma lamps and led lights interfere with the touch screen, but good old regular light bulbs are fine.

04turbowagon

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
Torstenlaw, as far as touch stopping working.. do you have a lamp or any electronics on your table where your surface is at? I've found plasma lamps and led lights interfere with the touch screen, but good old regular light bulbs are fine.

No lights around it. How close would they have to be for them to interfere?

Gareee

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Both b the plasma lamp and the led lamp were about a foor and a half away from my surface. I lost complete touch control, and turning them off restored it instantly. Someone else said having your hand on the metal back also cures the interference issue, but I never attempted that.

04turbowagon

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
Both b the plasma lamp and the led lamp were about a foor and a half away from my surface. I lost complete touch control, and turning them off restored it instantly. Someone else said having your hand on the metal back also cures the interference issue, but I never attempted that.
I have a case around mine, so touching the back will be tough. Will investigate more next time.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
View attachment 121818

This is the correct driver to update, right?

The example Neowin used was on the i7 version. The driver package from Intel is for all the Skylake processors and has the graphics version for the 520 as well (in addition the the driver package for the 515 that comes with the M3).

It will work. It works well on my system as well as a friend who has the 520 (he had the driver display crashes as well as the difficulty with waking the machine from sleep, both of which was fixed with the Intel driver package).

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I'm still not getting how to manually install a driver on the surface pro 4. I tried the disk option, and browsed to the folder, but it still refused to install the driver update.

Maybe I've been spoiled by the auto updates on my desktop invidia system?
I tried following the setup on the original article page as well with no luck.

I've downloaded both the exe and zip file... can someone post in order the exact instructions to install this driver?

I'm using other captured screenshots since I'm away from my SP4.

sp4-intel-01.jpg

sp4-intel-02.jpg

New Skitch.jpg

New Skitch3.jpg

New Skitch2.jpg

Gareee

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members