Loose kickstand?

onysi

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Im getting paranoid. it feels looser as it gets closer to the other end. I may have to go to best buy and have a feel of it.

cdf3

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
When I extend mine out to the larger angles, the tension isn't as great as the lower angles.
Especially the last few degrees before the final angle.

hoonu

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Mine is staeting to do this as well and im thinking about retuening mine. Add the wifi issues and i might have to wait till they get these things fixed. To be honest. This whole thing reeks just like the XBOX One Launch Issues around its Wifi Direct/Controller Issues. Ironically is uses the same exact Marvell 88W8897 thats found on the Surface 3 Pro.

In the end, I RMA'd my console along with many others and my issues, went away...

I'm my opinion, Marvell has some problematic/unstable silcon on the market and MS seems to have bought a fair amout of it.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Had a question. When you bring one in for replacement, do you need the original packaging?
If you mean in a MS Store, technically they haven't required the packaging for an exchange but it is best to be prepared. Some stores may be more difficult than others. It also might depend upon whether it is an exchange within the first 30 days or a MS Complete exchange. I have never been required to provide packaging for MS Complete exchanges for SP2. They just don't give you the box, power supply, or pen - you keep the originals. Keep in mind though that at least the MS Store in Scottsdale has become resistant to doing MS Complete exchanges for defects covered by normal warranty service. When I replaced an erratic SP2 a couple months ago, they initially balked at the Complete exchange on the grounds there was no evident damage and only reversed that position because 1) the device crashed after overheating, 2) it randomly crashed while they were testing, and 3) I wasn't taking no for an answer. I could, however, see someone trying to be difficult over whether a loose kickstand is covered for instant exchange outside of 30 days. I am not saying I think there should be an issue, just that wouldn't be surprised....

mylumia928

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
If you mean in a MS Store, technically they haven't required the packaging for an exchange but it is best to be prepared. Some stores may be more difficult than others. It also might depend upon whether it is an exchange within the first 30 days or a MS Complete exchange. I have never been required to provide packaging for MS Complete exchanges for SP2. They just don't give you the box, power supply, or pen - you keep the originals. Keep in mind though that at least the MS Store in Scottsdale has become resistant to doing MS Complete exchanges for defects covered by normal warranty service. When I replaced an erratic SP2 a couple months ago, they initially balked at the Complete exchange on the grounds there was no evident damage and only reversed that position because 1) the device crashed after overheating, 2) it randomly crashed while they were testing, and 3) I wasn't taking no for an answer. I could, however, see someone trying to be difficult over whether a loose kickstand is covered for instant exchange outside of 30 days. I am not saying I think there should be an issue, just that wouldn't be surprised....
I exchanged it an hour ago. They tried to give me a hard time but I insisted, and got a brand new one.

fc000

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed the say loose wobble on my Pro 3 as well. It's about half a centimeter of give in either direction when the stand is open. I swung by the Microsoft Store at the Eaton centre and found most of their display units are like this as well.

Is this classified as an actual hardware defect worthy of getting replaced?

cdf3

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I exchanged my Surface Pro 3 today. When I got home I noticed that when I move the kickstand to a particular angle, I'm able to rock it back and forth slightly. It doesn't lock all the way in place. The rocking noise is quite noisy, as I'm able to hear the mechanism move back and forth. I don't recall having this issue on my previous Surface Pro 3. Is this the wobble you all are referring to?

fc000

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Yes that's it exactly. Here's a Vine of the issue: https://vine.co/v/MEqH39Xh66X. It seems more pronounced at certain angles.

I know of a few people who have "launch" day units, and none of their's have this problem. Instead, their's are extremely firm, almost difficult to open, but I'd prefer that to this.

Last edited:

mylumia928

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Yes that's it exactly. Here's a Vine of the issue: https://vine.co/v/MEqH39Xh66X. It seems more pronounced at certain angles.

I know of a few people who have "launch" day units, and none of their's have this problem. Instead, their's are extremely firm, almost difficult to open, but I'd prefer that to this.

Sadly, it seems very unit is loose now. My replacement was the same, but not as bad.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Sadly, it seems very unit is loose now. My replacement was the same, but not as bad.

Mine does this as well, but also when I bring the kickstand down to a larger angle, I hear a click/snap/crack sound. It's coming from within the kickstand. It doesn't seem to be deteriorating the kickstand at all, but it's kind of annoying hearing that every time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers