Losing faith in windows phone

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
The nice thing about Microsoft and Nokia being separate companies is that they can each concentrate on their specialties. Nokia can concentrate on hardware design, and Microsoft does the OS. It may not have the total integration like Apple, but I think it means that there are two companies who are entirely behind the ecosystem of Windows Phone.

For instance, Samsung sells Android like gangbusters, but would drop it in a heartbeat if they thought that anybody would use Bada.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well, OP, I am gaining faith in Windows Phone to be honest. I have a lot of confidence that Microsoft and Nokia are in it for the long haul and I give them credit for finally digging their heels into the ground and gaining traction.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
With that said, as intelligently as you and a5cent articulated your thoughts I feel that they are misguided.

We all agree that the term "lag" lacks a precise temporal definition. That aspect of the term truly is subjective and dependent on personal perception. I have no idea why you failed to notice, but this wasn't disputed by anybody; not I, MAJ71303 or anyone else. So no, we are not misguided, but you might want to read more carefully next time.

You included a list of things that the term "lag" may refer to when used in different contexts (network lag, monitor lag, etc). In all of those cases, the nature of the delay being referred to is quite clear, which is equally true of smartphone lag. Admittedly, this sais nothing about the temporal extents of that lag, but that was never the issue.

kriz225

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
We all agree that the term "lag" lacks a precise temporal definition. That aspect of the term truly is subjective and dependent on personal perception. I have no idea why you failed to notice, but this wasn't disputed by anybody; not I, MAJ71303 or anyone else. So no, we are not misguided, but you might want to read more carefully next time.

I invite you to take your own advise and re-read 11B1P's post below:

Actually, no.

verb (used without object) 1. to fail to maintain a desired pace or to keep up; fall or stay behind

a5cent is actually correct. Lag is the screen response to your input, not from switching between apps.

As you can plainly see, he quoted a dictionary definition of the word "lag" which referred in no way to touch-sensitive interfaces nor user input to an electronic device and yet derived the conclusion that it supported your statements indicating such.

I merely refuted this and indicated that:

a) The term "lag" is a colloquial term which is applied to various forms of unexpected delays with great liberties taken on its true meaning.
b) Words only take on meaning when it is assigned to them. If you (and phone manufacturers) choose to say that "lag" refers exclusively to a delayed response to touch-based input that's fine. However, don't try to tell me and the rest of the internet that this is the sole and truest meaning of the word when I have used it and seen it used in a plethora of other socially acceptable ways.

In a broader sense, all I said is that linguistics is the study of language as is used by humankind, not a set of rules by which humankind must communicate (as you implied by dismissing your fellow poster's interpretation of the word lag)

You included a list of things that the term "lag" may refer to when used in different contexts (network lag, monitor lag, etc). In all of those cases, the nature of the delay being referred to is quite clear, which is equally true of smartphone lag. Admittedly, this sais nothing about the temporal extents of that lag, but that was never the issue.

If this is the meaning you took from my post then I suppose I must apologize for my lack of eloquence, for my point was just the opposite. What I intended to carry is that the term "lag" has many different connotations in many different contexts, but has no quantitative denotation as it applies to any of them.

In other words, "lag" means that there is an unexpected delay in some function. The term itself does not denote what the action is, nor what the expected delay was, and hence is a subjective term.

JustlMe

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
In my eyes Nokia is definitely doing its best here releasing good (and sexy ) phones and continuing to support and push the WP market. I think its just Microsoft that needs to push a little more. Don't get me wrong I'm currently loving my windows on my l1020. But it would be nice is microsoft did mend some bugs and get some features in now instead of leaving those bug fixes and implementations of new features for the next huge update.

As im a fresh user , just moved from iphone 5, I'm having lots of faith in windows! And i hope they pick it up ! ( obviously properly testing the updates first before releasing it ) :excited:

Adrian Finn1

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Thinking of leaving windows phone myself, i have lumia 620 and quite honestly i do really like it but i keep having this problem with ie and uc browser where it just keeps kicking me back to the tiles while browsing, especially when browsing facebook. I have been trying to get help with this issue but from what I'm hearing its some sort of low memory problem and that i should just clear the cache regularly. Not sure that is right or not but i shouldn't really have to keep doing that and i think it should be able to dynamically manage that for me and/or start using sd memory in order to give me a seamless browsing experience. Would be excellent if that could happen cuz it would just be a case of banging in a big sdcard. Its just so annoying and i hope it will be solved with or by the time we get windows 8.1 update because I'm gonna have to go with the latest android because it seems so much rich in content apps and features. i feel i am constantly missing out on things compared to my android buddy's. Sort it out Microsoft or your gonna lose alot of people. I have been a fan of Microsoft for over a decade and i don't want to go. Anyone else have same or similar issue as me?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria