Lumia 1520 ATT on Tmobile and 8.1 update - Does internet sharing still work?

Alpo714

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Hello WP Fans! Oh goodness I love my Lumia 1520! I've got a question for you guys.

I'm currently rocking an USA ATT Lumia 1520 on T mobile with a successful internet sharing hack (see link below for details) but would like to upgrade to 8.1. Has any of the WP users had any issues post-8.1 update with internet sharing or MMS? I've been reading on the forums that some of the users seemed to have lost of the internet sharing ability but retain the MMS. Any thoughts?

Internet sharing and MMS on unlocked Lumia 1520 - http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...mms-now-working-t-920-w-usa-t-mobile-sim.html

Best,

Alpo

knowname

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your thread. I have wanted to buy a 1520 for tmo for the longest but I was always afraid that I couldnt get internet sharing to work. After reading that you have it going sucessfully, I am going to buy an unlocked att 1520. Thanks again and if there are any tips you could pass on I would greatly appreciate it.

Alpo714

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Hello Knowname! Here at the WP community we help each other out! I'd be glad to give you a few pointers!

Pointer #1: I recommend purchasing your device from the Microsoft store. The folks there, won't hastle you once they find out that you are planning on unlocking the device for tmobile. Trust me. It makes things a lot easier. Additionally, they have an awesome return policy (opened or unopened) should things go sour they won't charge you a restocking fee like what ATT will do.
Pointer #2: Have a friend with an ATT account unlock your device. This will be much easier than doing it as a tmobile customer trying to get it unlocked by ATT. See the link following link: How to SIM unlock the Nokia Lumia 1520 from AT&T | Windows Phone Central
Pointer #3: Follow the steps from the WPcentral forum on how to get the internet sharing and MMS working on your device. See link provided below. Make sure you follow the directions as closely as possible. If you read into the directions on how to complete the hack, you'll need a foreign SIM card to complete it. Personally, I used a Mexican SIM card from Telecel which worked fine, although the forum members have also posted which SIM cards reportedly works or don't work. http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...mms-now-working-t-920-w-usa-t-mobile-sim.html

I think that's it! Please let me know how it goes and best of luck on unlocking the device. I hope you enjoy your Lumia 1520 as much as I do!!!!!! :) It's a beastly, yet beautiful and elegant device!

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Hmph. I read the instructions for the 920, seemed like an awful lot of fiddling. I was kind of hoping that the 8.1 update would bring the right APN settings (or whatever) to make T-Mobile tethering work, but sadly, no.

On the other hand, I have an RM-938 in addition to my RM-940, and its internet tethering works fine on T-Mo, without mod.

Alpo714

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Hmph. I read the instructions for the 920, seemed like an awful lot of fiddling. I was kind of hoping that the 8.1 update would bring the right APN settings (or whatever) to make T-Mobile tethering work, but sadly, no.

On the other hand, I have an RM-938 in addition to my RM-940, and its internet tethering works fine on T-Mo, without mod.

Its really not that bad! Just a few basic steps, and probably takes at most 15 minutes to complete. If you have the ATT Lumia 1520 on the Tmobile network, I'd certainly recommend doing this mod.

Ryan Schouten

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I have Win Phone 8.1 on my 1520 on T-Mobile and everything works except the tethering. I don't have access to a foreign sim to try the mod. I may go buy one just to get my tethering back.

wvanellis

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site

I've upgraded my RM-938 and my RM-940 to 8.1 and tethering no longer works on either. I used the mod before the upgrade and it worked just fine. I can't even go through the mod with the update because the APN settings no longer exist in the new "cellular/SIM" menu....

Ryan Schouten

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I can confirm that with the Lumia 1520 running 8.1 on T-Mobile the mentioned steps resolve the internet sharing issue. My Lumia is now sharing its internet connection from T-Mobile. If anyone needs a foreign sim to go through the steps let me know. The settings stick across reboots but I am sure a hard reset would undo the changes.

paulrogers85

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
I just ordered a Mexican Telecel nano SIM. I have a unlocked Nokia 1520 from AT&T that I purchased direct through Microsoft store. It's currently running 8.1 and I will follow up once I receive the SIM and let you all know how it works. Also, if it helps any I currently work for T-Mobile. Thanks for the information! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb