Lumia 1520 .. Read This Before You Upgrade To Windows Phone 10 TP

Hasan Chocor

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
Dear All,

Well first of all after a long anticipated time the Windows Phone 10 Preview have arrived .. however i was too disappointed to so many reasons.

I will list the major problems that i faced after updating my Lumia 1520 to WP10:

1- When you are done with the update .. the actual boot time of the device is longer u will have to wait for about a minute each time you restart your device .
2- The Pin Problem . your phone will get frozen once u enter your pin for the first time and that is what happened .. i removed the sim did a hard reset the problem worked fine .. however i lost my data .
3- there is no EMAIL app that is clear .. have searched for few hours and found nothing on how to add a new email .
4- The contact app is really buggy .. very slow ... and crashes way too often ..
5- some of the previous apps will give you a crash and exception errors due to memory allocation issue.
6- Your phone touch screen will freeze ....
7- The power draining is incredibly annoying your battery will go from 100 to 50 in about 2 hours ..
8- The actual call app is very buggy and it takes u forever to answer a call and call.
9- the one thing that i hated the most is the keyboard .. it seems that there is a layout problem and the keyboard is super small ...
10 - the glance screen cannot be turned off ..
11- you will be lost as many of the settings are hidden inside another which is annoying and frustrating once you want to fix something every time .
12- many apps do not work and if they do they are super laggy.
13- YOUR LUMIA 1520 will GET HOT ! REALLY REALLY HOT !
14- The camera app is laggy and very slow.
15- the vibration on the 3 buttons you have is constant and u cannot turn it off which will drain your battery even more
16- the home button becomes non responsive in many cases and you will be forced to do a reboot for the device .
17- the notification bar gets stuck while taking it up or down . so you will be forced to do it twice for it to work .

These are some of the problems i have faced with my Lumia1520 after the update and now i am rolling back to 8.1 ....

Hope that gives u a heads up ...

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
If you install the TP on a secondary phone so that you can simply provide MS with feedback so they can fix and update faster then none of these problems should be of major concern. However if you're using your primary device to check out the update then all of the problems mentioned here will be an annoyance..

Hasan Chocor

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
If you install the TP on a secondary phone so that you can simply provide MS with feedback so they can fix and update faster then none of these problems should be of major concern. However if you're using your primary device to check out the update then all of the problems mentioned here will be an annoyance..

U expect a minimum amount of functionality ! the thing that is not present there

tRedz

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
U expect a minimum amount of functionality ! the thing that is not present there

The only thing you should expect, is what you have already been warned about when you installed the software. And that is, that this is a technical preview. Something that you are allowed access to in order to help the developers at Microsoft to find flaws in the software faster, as well as being a compass towards a product that consumers will be pleased with once it becomes official.
You should not expect an everyday product, especially considering that you are using the 'Fast ring' on the Windows Insider.

Personally, i think it is a very bold, and also a very awesome move that Microsoft has taken by sharing their early internal builds with the public. It's bold, because some people expect a product that can be used for everyday use, despite being warned otherwise. And it's awesome, because it is a big help towards the process of creating a Windows 10 for Phone that everyone will have a say in improving.

So instead of being upset about it, i suggest you use the Windows Feedback app that has been added to your phone, and write down all these points that you have met, or upvote those that are similar to your own problems in order to help Microsoft improving this product.
If you on the other hand, can't stand the flaws in your everyday phone, then roll-back to 8.1 and wait for a stable build, or a public one.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
The only thing you should expect, is what you have already been warned about when you installed the software. And that is, that this is a technical preview. Something that you are allowed access to in order to help the developers at Microsoft to find flaws in the software faster, as well as being a compass towards a product that consumers will be pleased with once it becomes official.
You should not expect an everyday product, especially considering that you are using the 'Fast ring' on the Windows Insider.

Personally, i think it is a very bold, and also a very awesome move that Microsoft has taken by sharing their early internal builds with the public. It's bold, because some people expect a product that can be used for everyday use, despite being warned otherwise. And it's awesome, because it is a big help towards the process of creating a Windows 10 for Phone that everyone will have a say in improving.

So instead of being upset about it, i suggest you use the Windows Feedback app that has been added to your phone, and write down all these points that you have met, or upvote those that are similar to your own problems in order to help Microsoft improving this product.
If you on the other hand, can't stand the flaws in your everyday phone, then roll-back to 8.1 and wait for a stable build, or a public one.

This ^^

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
Dear All,

Well first of all after a long anticipated time the Windows Phone 10 Preview have arrived .. however i was too disappointed to so many reasons.

I will list the major problems that i faced after updating my Lumia 1520 to WP10:

1- When you are done with the update .. the actual boot time of the device is longer u will have to wait for about a minute each time you restart your device . Mine is barely longer than wit hthe stock AT&T Denim ROM.
2- The Pin Problem . your phone will get frozen once u enter your pin for the first time and that is what happened .. i removed the sim did a hard reset the problem worked fine .. however i lost my data . I did not have this issue on AT&T.
3- there is no EMAIL app that is clear .. have searched for few hours and found nothing on how to add a new email . Yeah I found not settings for it other than via the Outlook Mail app.
4- The contact app is really buggy .. very slow ... and crashes way too often .. Ditto
5- some of the previous apps will give you a crash and exception errors due to memory allocation issue. Ditto.
6- Your phone touch screen will freeze .... Only happened once to me and it's been almost 48hrs.
7- The power draining is incredibly annoying your battery will go from 100 to 50 in about 2 hours .. Aside from draining due to the install, my battery life is not perceptively worse at all.
8- The actual call app is very buggy and it takes u forever to answer a call and call. I have no problem.
9- the one thing that i hated the most is the keyboard .. it seems that there is a layout problem and the keyboard is super small ... Yup, lots of typing mistakes compared to the 8.1 keyboard.
10 - the glance screen cannot be turned off .. Yeah this is CRAZY annoying.
11- you will be lost as many of the settings are hidden inside another which is annoying and frustrating once you want to fix something every time .
12- many apps do not work and if they do they are super laggy.
13- YOUR LUMIA 1520 will GET HOT ! REALLY REALLY HOT ! Aside from install, mine is not any hotter, except when downloading non-stop in wifi, which it did before.
14- The camera app is laggy and very slow.
15- the vibration on the 3 buttons you have is constant and u cannot turn it off which will drain your battery even more
16- the home button becomes non responsive in many cases and you will be forced to do a reboot for the device . I use the back button all the time so I haven't noticed this.
17- the notification bar gets stuck while taking it up or down . so you will be forced to do it twice for it to work .

These are some of the problems i have faced with my Lumia1520 after the update and now i am rolling back to 8.1 ....

Hope that gives u a heads up ...

You didn't say which 1520 you have?

Anyway, for people with an AT&T 1520 in red is my comparison so I can't say it's nearly as bad as what you say for yours. I didn't even hard reset mine after the upgrade.

I will say, Windows 10 desktop really seems solid compared to Windows 10 phone. The desktop seems closer to RC and the phone certainly more Alpha.

Alex

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Aside from the lack of Office apps like Word and Excel, I haven't noticed any of the bugs YET. I have the AT&T variant and I really like the changes. I had it on a 635 previously and this build is a noticeable improvement. As for my personal tastes, I think I'll go with the People Legacy since it's the same I've been using all these years. The Outlook Mail app is finally a fully-featured email client. It only took 6 years since WM6.5 to get this right but better late than never. Spartan is the best mobile browser I remember using but it's hindered by the new keyboard. I would like the old keyboard back, at least on the 1520 to take advantage of the screen real estate.

My 1520 is not my daily driver so I knew the risks going in. That said, I'm liking what I'm seeing and looking forward to the retail version this summer. I'm in Miami so even if it comes in December it'll still be summer.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I said in another post that I would wait before installing on my 1520 because I was afraid it would make my phone too unusable. However, I did put the TP on my Lumia 920 and yesterday I spent a little more time with it. Its not half bad. A little slower than before but after using it, I can't wait to get this on my 1520. I really like a lot of how the phone looks, the mail app is beautiful and even Project Spartan worked well enough to make me smile. All I could do is visualize using this on my 1520. Its gonna be sweeeet!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
**Update**

What on Earth did Microsoft do to the Calendar app? No month view? Maybe I missed something or haven't had enough time to play with it but that's a serious no-no.

Mail app - yay! Spartan - yay! Calendar - huh?

Montpbm

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
I need to do a hard reset, lots of things work, but some don't like my photos app crashes all the time and aps crash all the time not letting me in the app ever... I'll try the reset and see. Outside of that I love the new things added to Windows 10.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
**Update**

What on Earth did Microsoft do to the Calendar app? No month view? Maybe I missed something or haven't had enough time to play with it but that's a serious no-no.

Mail app - yay! Spartan - yay! Calendar - huh?

No possible way to change this yet :/

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
No possible way to change this yet :/

Let's hope they do. Samsung got a lot of flak for doing the same with their TW version of Lollipop and they added the month view back last week. I can't conceive anybody thinking this was a good idea unless those software engineers are exercising their Washington state rights to puff, puff, pass.

Jonnie LasVegas

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I personally am loving this build. And I was one of the people that was already hating without giving it a chance. Now I'm hooked! Love the one handed keyboard option for my 1520! Only major issue I'm having is my phone won't unlock when locked. Other than that just the normal bugs and lag you would expect in an early build.

I do gotta say that I really think Microsoft has/will nail it with this OS. And that's coming from a former non believer of Windows 10.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte