Lumia 1520 vs 930

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
How are you dealing with the size? And what about the issues regarding the 1520? Do you have any? Also a small comparison would be great as well, as I am considering one of the two. ;-)

Over the weekend I'll post a more detailed comparison. But here's the heads up:

Size is a double-edged sword. I for one LOVE the size. It's a little big to one hand it in my case, but I can hold it with one hand easily and sometimes type with it. Thanks to the swype keyboard that's built in I don't need to get to the QAZ letters as it'll predict them for me. So I can still type with one hand. Is it comfortable? Nope. But it gets the job done! The positive side is that I make FAR less mistakes typing, and my eyes are saved by the larger fonts that are spread out over the full inch screen.

The speed is identical to the 930 as they share pretty much everything.

The camera, check out my other thread here.

Battery life is A GOD SEND! WOW! I can go 2 HARDCORE days with the 1520. I couldn't go one day with the 930 with the usage I am giving the 1520. before with the 930 I would depend a lot on the whatsapp web, and LINE desktop client. Now I am actually back to using the phone to type out messages!

Audio - much better and clearer on the 1520.

Heat - no heat from the 1520, all is good. In fact, even on the wireless charger it doesn't get as warm as the 930 did.

Screen - Sharp enough for me!

Issues? Mmm... I have a small blemish in the screen, it's just a slightly bit lighter than the rest, but it doesn't bother me at all. I got my phone used. So.... What can I expect? I was between the 1520 and the 640XL which is going to be shipping in a week to two weeks here in Spain, as confirmed by Amazon.es to me. And I thought for the extra cash (50 euros) the 1520 used was a better buy for the camera and screen quality.

Build quality - both are solid. Nokia did a fantastic job.

mumairmasood

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Ok, I'm in a huge conundrum(1520 vs 930) following another huge conundrum (830 vs 930). I'm a Chartered Accountant (CPA for non UK Commonwealth denizens) & so I use my phones for work a lot as well as impromptu urban photography (my hobby).
First I was stuck between 830 & 930. Made up my mind for 930 then I saw that Nokia (now Microsoft Mobile Pakistan) h cheaper than ad slashed prices on the 1520 making it cheaper than the 930 (almost by US $40).
I'm now confused which of the two to go for.
The 1520 offers expandable memory (useful for carrying client documents & reference Ebooks as well as helping reserve the internal memory solely for apps & associated bloating I've experienced with my existing 820 & 625).
The cons of the 1520 I see are:
1-the huge size (I'm 5'8 & I don't see it fitting in my pants, my laptop bag otoh) I have small hands & tried to use my brother's Note3 once. I could barely grip it with my right hand's index finger & thumb for one handed operation.
2- The phantom touch issues.
I really appreciate the longer battery life though.
The 930's biggest cons for me would be:
1- Lack of an sd card. Though with OneDrive & an Office365 account I think I have enough cloud storage.
2- The heating up on some handsets. I had to undergo chemo a few years ago for blood cancer. Among other longterm side effects, it made the skin of my fingertips extremely sensitive to hot & cold temperatures & susceptible to temperature burns.
Keeping the above in mind, which of the two phones would you guys recommend as being the most suitable for me?
I need an answer soon as I have to buy the phone by evening today (20/03)
Thanks

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
In the same boat but the only thing bothers me is that next month it will be one year old phone so I am worried about the support the older phone might not get. Not the OS ones but the firmware ones.

The 1520 is only like 3 months older than the ICON/930 , and if by support you mean warranty then that depends on when the phone was bought originally, not when it came out... if that's wat u mean :confused:

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I'm in a huge conundrum(1520 vs 930) following another huge conundrum (830 vs 930). I'm a Chartered Accountant (CPA for non UK Commonwealth denizens) & so I use my phones for work a lot as well as impromptu urban photography (my hobby).
First I was stuck between 830 & 930. Made up my mind for 930 then I saw that Nokia (now Microsoft Mobile Pakistan) h cheaper than ad slashed prices on the 1520 making it cheaper than the 930 (almost by US $40).
I'm now confused which of the two to go for.
The 1520 offers expandable memory (useful for carrying client documents & reference Ebooks as well as helping reserve the internal memory solely for apps & associated bloating I've experienced with my existing 820 & 625).
The cons of the 1520 I see are:
1-the huge size (I'm 5'8 & I don't see it fitting in my pants, my laptop bag otoh) I have small hands & tried to use my brother's Note3 once. I could barely grip it with my right hand's index finger & thumb for one handed operation.
2- The phantom touch issues.
I really appreciate the longer battery life though.
The 930's biggest cons for me would be:
1- Lack of an sd card. Though with OneDrive & an Office365 account I think I have enough cloud storage.
2- The heating up on some handsets. I had to undergo chemo a few years ago for blood cancer. Among other longterm side effects, it made the skin of my fingertips extremely sensitive to hot & cold temperatures & susceptible to temperature burns.
Keeping the above in mind, which of the two phones would you guys recommend as being the most suitable for me?
I need an answer soon as I have to buy the phone by evening today (20/03)
Thanks

I had a 1520 sold it to buy a 930. Now I just sold that and bought back a1520. That should tell you all you need to know. I'm 5'9. Go with 1520 I promise you'll be happy.

930 is nice though. I think the screen is slightly better with vivid colors though 1520 is top notch too. Camera on both are fantastic though I would honestly perhaps give slight edge to 930 ( though I haven't taken any pics yet with 1520 with Denim update which makes a difference).

Great video here giving comparisons
http://youtu.be/Eom7e-8cp1Y

In comparison the 1520 screen is amazing and worth every penny. Also it doesn't overheat like the 930. And it fits better in the hand as the 930 can feel kinda sharp. And all the journey goodies already mentioned.

mumairmasood

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Well was busy at work so couldn't read the reply. Bought a 930 this afternoon & I could cook an egg on it. Going back to Microsoft Pakistan tomorrow who have told me they will replace it. Issue now is can I insist that the replacement be a 1520 also keeping in mind it is cheaper here in Pakistan & I don't want a refund of the difference?
Also the replacement procedure is that my phone will be taken by Microsoft who will issue me a receipt. I will give that receipt to the store I got my phone from & they will requisition a replacement.
Also apparently this heating up issue is rare in the RM version for Pakistan. Mine is apparently only the 20th such case since the launch in June 2014 here.

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Heating on the 930 is very common. In fact, it's a "feature" for the northern countries! It keeps your palms warm :p haha. It drove me crazy. It made me feel uncomfortable. So, good bye 930 -> Hello 1520! I've had it and I love it so much. But the 930 is a good phone. Heating and battery life aside, of course.

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Personally i like 1520 instead of 930.Because i prefer high definition with wide screen.

They both have the same definition screen. In fact, the 930 has a higher ppi. Since the 1520 has a larger display with the same resolution, its more stretched out. I don't mind though 1080p on a mobile device is more than enough. My tv is 1080p. Why would I want more in my hands?

mumairmasood

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
The heating is a turnoff for me. I had to undergo chemo a few years ago for blood cancer. One peculiar longterm side effect I'm stuck with is increased sensitivity of my toes & fingertips. When the 930 got hot, the plastic & polycarbonate bits were only a tad bit warmer than my 820 or 625. The aluminum sideband otoh nearly burnt my fingertips (increased sensitivity) & that too only near the speaker area. I saw in the manual that the bottom has a big friggin antenna. Guess best I can do is turn off all syncing activities on automatic & the NFC off when I get the replacement.
In the 3 hours that I did use it, the phone was brilliant. Better than the S-5 & in my experience only the XPeriaZ2 or 3 approach amongst the Androids I've seen.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
1520 all the way, I had then both and kept the 1520.

Battery is amazing. IPS screen any day over amoled; whites don't consume more battery. 32 internal and 64 SD card is 100gb of storage for decent money, this device is a beast.

I hope the W10 update brings us more phablet functionality.

Oh, did I mention the battery? 😉best battery on any device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital