Lumia 520 as a cheap portable media player

ho0lee0h

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Check Slickdeals for the cheapest Lumia 520. I saw it for $77 on Amazon last week. I think it'd make a great PMP.

I'm planning to invest in one for use with Runtastic but am not sure if it'll work offline like my 920 does. I would use my 920 but it's just too big to carry on a run.

Mellifluous

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I'd certainly recommend the 520 (or the 620) as a PMP.

• When comparing the 520's screen to others reviewers always rate it down, but I find it perfectly fine and no huge difference to the 620.
  • Audio is fine and probably comparable to any PMP out there, though this depends on your headphones really.
  • Syncing wise, you can import music from your iTunes or Windows Media Player.
  • You can save all your media to the internal 8GB (which is more like 5GB with the OS), and you could expand it to up to 32 or 64GB with a MicroSD card.
  • You could pin all your albums to your start screen, which would look nice. Or you could set up Kid's Corner as a Music Corner, so when you swipe to Kid's Corner it's a screen full of all your albums.
  • One thing you could also do is buy a couple more covers (e.g. red or yellow) to make it more vibrant.

futpaul

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I've been thinking the same thing, just can't decide between 520 and 620.

My old iPod died (original white shuffle) and started looking at the newer iPod nanos, but for $100 I could get rid of the flip-phone in my pocket, and get GPS maps to boot!

Would I be able to use H2O wireless SIM in this phone, since they are an AT&T reseller?

(edited to fix my run-on questions :)

Last edited:

Gurggles

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
How well does the GPS work without an active SIM in the device? I have a friend who wants to use this while golfing to keep track of his shots.

futpaul

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
How well does the GPS work without an active SIM in the device? I have a friend who wants to use this while golfing to keep track of his shots.

Works fine for me using Runtastic. I don't have a SIM in the phone yet. I needed wifi of course to upload my workout data, which I did at home.

Shawn Magm

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
One issue I've had with two different 520's is that the headphone jack has given me problems. I can get the left channel fine, but the right channel is either muffled or not playing at all. If I wiggle the headphone jack and retract the plug in a certain position, I can get both channels. It happened with my first, and then I exchanged for a second 520 with the same problem. Maybe there was a bad batch. However, if one uses bluetooth headphones, it probably isn't much of an issue.

benjamouth

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
One issue I've had with two different 520's is that the headphone jack has given me problems. I can get the left channel fine, but the right channel is either muffled or not playing at all. If I wiggle the headphone jack and retract the plug in a certain position, I can get both channels. It happened with my first, and then I exchanged for a second 520 with the same problem. Maybe there was a bad batch. However, if one uses bluetooth headphones, it probably isn't much of an issue.

Had exactly the same problem with mine, looking to send it to Nokia for repair.

Kurt8807

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I realize this is an old thread, but I've been having tons of problems getting this to work. It's constantly asking me for a SIM card, and it won't let me use my local maps without inserting a SIM card. Any suggestions?

NYRbeezer

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Just insert the sim card that came with the phone and don't activate it. It still logs onto the att towers and it's also wise to use to keep the time.

nikhilr51

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
I realize this is an old thread, but I've been having tons of problems getting this to work. It's constantly asking me for a SIM card, and it won't let me use my local maps without inserting a SIM card. Any suggestions?

It checks your sim card to determine location and then gives you maps accordingly. You just need the sim for this initial step, then you can stick it in airplane mode and turn on wifi.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gormless