Lumia 521 issues with conecting to Windows XP for file transfer....

ludawg94

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I just recently got a Lumia 521 (contract free T-Mobile) and I am having issues having it be recognized by my laptop. I am using Widnows XP SP3. I understand that there is no Windows Phone synching suite application for Windows XP but only for Windows 7 and 8. All I am trying to do is use Windows/File Explorer to transfer over files to the folders on the phone. My issue that I have is that my laptop only recognizes the Lumia 521 as a camera (see below) and not as a mass storage device. I do skip 2 pop ups stating that I need device driver for the phone, I cancel those, and I get two errors stating that the device may not be read correctly or supported. The one that seems to work correctly is the plug and play drivers that make it be read as a camera. I do see the phone/files but when I try to transfer over files I am not allowed to do so, only sync photos from the phone to the laptop.

Does anyone else know how to correctly have the phone be detected by Windows XP as a mass storage device? Or anyone know the correct drivers that i can download? This would be really helpful as I would like to add/change my own ringtones, notification tones and photos on the phone. I'm migrating from Android which I had no problems connecting with Windows XP but this is a big issue for me. I am already second guessing having gotten a windows phone and might just end up using the Lumia 521 as a glorified MP3 player since I can add stuff to the SD card. The reason I am trying the Lumia 521 is cause I like Nokia, my previous phone before Android was a Nokia N95-3.

Also I suppose I'll add this theoretical answer and thinking of this as a last resort. Let's say I can't have the phone be read by Windows XP at all. Are there any good file management systems on Windows Phone to use? Would I then be able to manage to transfer those files over from the Box Cloud App to the destination folders on the phone? Again what I would like to do is add my own ringtones/notification sounds, photos and files to the phone itself.

Any help and advice is very much appreciated!!!

Lumia 521.jpg

luk3ja

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
"If you connect your phone to a PC running Windows XP, your PC may mistakenly ask you to install software that isn't available. If you get this wizard, click Cancel?you don't need to install the software. You'll then be able to use Windows Explorer to move files between your phone and your computer."

Also make sure your phone is unlocked (screen is on and password entered)

ludawg94

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
"If you connect your phone to a PC running Windows XP, your PC may mistakenly ask you to install software that isn't available. If you get this wizard, click Cancel?you don't need to install the software. You'll then be able to use Windows Explorer to move files between your phone and your computer."

Still no luck on this. It just reads as a camera. I had also thought maybe becuase I had not activated my SIM card on the phone yet that would be a reason it was being read like that but that wasn't the cause of the problem. I do cancel all of the notifications of installing drivers but somehow it automatically recognizes the phone as a camera (see photos). I even go into the drivers settings to delete the the one it reads and try it again, which doesn't work.

Has no one else encountered this problem? I would also note that I did not connect the phone to my laptop until after the new update, which I'm assuming is the new Amber update everyone is talking about.

lumia 521 1.jpg
Lumia 521 2.jpg
Lumia 521 3.jpg

somansu chauhan

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same problem..................But
Its been 4 months since i bought my lovely lumia 520.
Until now it was fluently exchanging the all sorts of data between my computer and itself.
But 2 days ago i have to reinstall my windows (same windows from same CD) and everything's gone.
Now it doesn't show my phone, not even installing windows phone app.
Yes i was able to transfer files by just plug & play, and/or by WP app.(I had installed WPapp in my XP)
I researched the web and i found out that they don't support my windows then how the hell it was working for four months.

My PC config is-
Windows XP Pro SP2
Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHZ 3.00GHZ, 0.99 GB of RAM
it is HP dx2000 MT

I think it might missing any driver or something...

ludawg94

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Update to Service Pack 3. If you had to use your recovery disc, that means you have to update a lot of items on it, which will take a while. As for me, I've tried several different methods but still have it be seen as a camera. So I guess I'll just stick to what I can get on my SD card and go from there. I hope they make a file system in the next update of Windows Phone.

Also it is sad to see that Microsoft just flatly does not support people with Windows XP anymore. I can easily transfer over items and connect my Android devices on my laptop, and Itunes still works with XP to easily transfer items to and fro the iPod 5th gen. I will just wait for Firefox Mobile to get big and move to that. I figured I'd give Windows Phone a shot since Nokia was making the handsets but even all of the customization that Nokia has made for the lack of features on these phones doesn't help it. Compared to my N95-3 there are a lot of regular phone features that are missing and that is just sad.

Microsoft; the BETA TEST is not over, keep on beta testing your own products!!!!

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Been out for a While, back on the Scene

Windows XP - when installing the 521 cancel all prompt when it ask for updating software. If still have the problem then disconnect the phone from PC. use device manager and remove the 521 that is listed and then reconnect the 521. If still not working try a different usb port or usb cable. Works fine on two WinXP Pc with SP3 (friends and moms)

HDJB

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
I wrestled with this for a while too, after re-installing Windows XP. I had to install .net framework 4.0, and then go into the control panel and scanner and cameras, then delete the Lumia from the list of cameras. I re-connected the phone, and it installed as an MTP device and I can now browse my phone from windows explorer and it does not show the scanner and camera wizard anymore when I connect the phone. Hope this helps. I had also installed some winusb drivers from Microsoft catalog, but I don't know if that made a difference.

Codemeup

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
You may wirelessly transfer/copy music files to your Windows Phone via a web browser using the updated version 1.0.2.0 of Music Drop by Codeceptive Studios. The first version was great but the new one is even better! And what's best about this app: it's fast, efficient and most of all free ;-)

Aga Daly

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
You Genius you!

I've looked on NOKIA's website and it said that LUMIA 1020 doesn't work with XP/VISTA, but solution was so simple.. have screen on, put password in...

Thank you!

I did manage copy files twice before, and few times couldn't do it, never got to conclusion that there is connection between those two...

All the best
Aga

msenthilkumar2009

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Re: Lumia 620 issues with conecting to Windows XP for file transfer....

I just recently got a Lumia 521 (contract free T-Mobile) and I am having issues having it be recognized by my laptop. I am using Widnows XP SP3. I understand that there is no Windows Phone synching suite application for Windows XP but only for Windows 7 and 8. All I am trying to do is use Windows/File Explorer to transfer over files to the folders on the phone. My issue that I have is that my laptop only recognizes the Lumia 521 as a camera (see below) and not as a mass storage device. I do skip 2 pop ups stating that I need device driver for the phone, I cancel those, and I get two errors stating that the device may not be read correctly or supported. The one that seems to work correctly is the plug and play drivers that make it be read as a camera. I do see the phone/files but when I try to transfer over files I am not allowed to do so, only sync photos from the phone to the laptop.

Does anyone else know how to correctly have the phone be detected by Windows XP as a mass storage device? Or anyone know the correct drivers that i can download? This would be really helpful as I would like to add/change my own ringtones, notification tones and photos on the phone. I'm migrating from Android which I had no problems connecting with Windows XP but this is a big issue for me. I am already second guessing having gotten a windows phone and might just end up using the Lumia 521 as a glorified MP3 player since I can add stuff to the SD card. The reason I am trying the Lumia 521 is cause I like Nokia, my previous phone before Android was a Nokia N95-3.

Also I suppose I'll add this theoretical answer and thinking of this as a last resort. Let's say I can't have the phone be read by Windows XP at all. Are there any good file management systems on Windows Phone to use? Would I then be able to manage to transfer those files over from the Box Cloud App to the destination folders on the phone? Again what I would like to do is add my own ringtones/notification sounds, photos and files to the phone itself.

Any help and advice is very much appreciated!!!

lumia-521.jpg
Quick reply to this message
Multi-Quote This Message
THANKS

Posts472 Posts
10-14-2013, 06:06 PM
#2 Report Post

Quick reply to this message
Multi-Quote This Message
THANKS

Posts5 Posts
10-15-2013, 12:26 PM
#3 Report Post
Quote Originally Posted by luk3ja View Post

Still no luck on this. It just reads as a camera. I had also thought maybe becuase I had not activated my SIM card on the phone yet that would be a reason it was being read like that but that wasn't the cause of the problem. I do cancel all of the notifications of installing drivers but somehow it automatically recognizes the phone as a camera (see photos). I even go into the drivers settings to delete the the one it reads and try it again, which doesn't work.

Has no one else encountered this problem? I would also note that I did not connect the phone to my laptop until after the new update, which I'm assuming is the new Amber update everyone is talking about.

kasimalgabry

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Re: Lumia 620 issues with conecting to Windows XP for file transfer....

Mobile device was opened by cable but after what the work of re-inauguration of the new window is no longer working and there is no correlation between your computer and mobile device؟!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss