Lumia 640 T-Mobile windows 10

rainking430

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
WiFi calling only works on Redstone branch, but it does work. So if you can stomach the risk, go ahead on Slow ring or Fast ring.

This may be true for you, but not for myself and many T-Mobile 640 users on Reddit and the MS forums. In fact, for most of us the Wifi calling toggle is completely gone in the latest Redstone builds. Unless you did some trick to get it to work?

Can you confirm with the new release preview how it's running and if wifi calling is working on a tmo lumia 640?

thanks

If you did take Davide's advice, just make sure you know the rollback path if you need wifi calling and can't be without it.

Davide Carozza

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
My apologies, it was working just fine for me on Redstone but I have since rolled back, so I didn't realize the new builds removed it. Odd that they would add it back, then remove it again.

Update: Wouldn't you know it, I'm on 10586.242 and currently staring at the WiFi calling symbol on my 640. I set it to WiFi preferred and was able to place calls. So now, apparently, if you want WiFi calling you shouldn't be on Redstone.

Last edited:

Nathanael Lusk

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
The problem with me here about getting it off of Insider is that they told me personally that ill lose wifi calling. I need that. They never tell me anything. Honestly, if it comes down to it, I'm going to do it no matter if I have wifi calling or not. Plus, wasn't Microsoft supposed to do something about bypassing the carriers anyways?

zhris

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
FWIW, my phone is a 'former' Insider (went from Fast Ring back to Production), and I just got the .318 update.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Also jumped the Insider train on the Slow Ring. Does WiFi calling still work right now? Apparently, a lot has changed.

Davide Carozza

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
For me on .318, WiFi calling is bad. When I set t to WiFi preferred it just jumps back and forth between network and WiFi, which actually causes me to drop/miss calls. No idea why. Is it any better on Slow Ring, libra89?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
For me on .318, WiFi calling is bad. When I set t to WiFi preferred it just jumps back and forth between network and WiFi, which actually causes me to drop/miss calls. No idea why. Is it any better on Slow Ring, libra89?

Good to know, thanks. For some reason, slow ring didn't play nicely with my phone so I went to the release preview and then production.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Well the Starbucks app looks like it's about to be released, wouldn't it be nice if T-Mobile also release the official Windows 10 upgrade? It's been 4 months already.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Well the Starbucks app looks like it's about to be released, wouldn't it be nice if T-Mobile also release the official Windows 10 upgrade? It's been 4 months already.
At this point, I have lost most of my faith in them doing so. Now if they actually do, I'll eat my words. It's still silly that we have to choose between T-Mo features and updated apps.

myrkle

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
At this point, I have lost most of my faith in them doing so. Now if they actually do, I'll eat my words. It's still silly that we have to choose between T-Mo features and updated apps.

Unfortunately, I'm with you, it seems very unlikely that we'll see an update from T-Mobile at this point.

Besides WiFi calling and visual voice mail, are there any other features lost when using insider builds?

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I had read elsewhere it was because they were having trouble getting the WiFi calling working. Even so, considering they pulled the 640 after two months, what incentive is there for T-Mobile to release an official Windows 10 update? Especially when they could get you to buy the Alcatel instead. At the speed that T-Mobile works, it's still not totally out of the question though...

ep1

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
getting the windows update dose that apply to an unlock 640 getting windows 10.
using a t mobile sim having just 8 gb of storage how dose that work out I dont use a lot apps
just third party bank app and shazam

BeyondtheTech

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It's been a while since I've powered up my Lumia 640. Did T-Mobile finally update their variant to Windows 10 Mobile?

Granted, mine is a debranded and unlocked AT&T model, but the last time I did a Windows 10 Mobile preview, the camera flash stopped working (though it works under Windows 8.1).

Any insights on either?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
It's been a while since I've powered up my Lumia 640. Did T-Mobile finally update their variant to Windows 10 Mobile?

Granted, mine is a debranded and unlocked AT&T model, but the last time I did a Windows 10 Mobile preview, the camera flash stopped working (though it works under Windows 8.1).

Any insights on either?

No, they haven't.

I haven't had any issues with camera flash on my branded 640.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

Any insights on either?

The flash works fine for me under Windows 10 Mobile as well.

As to T-Mobile providing an official version of Windows 10 Mobile, you've got more chance of Starbucks providing an official windows phone app. Oh wait... they just did and I used it at Starbucks this morning :winktongue:

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site

Any insights on either?

When was the last time you tried W10m? The latest Redstone build (fast ring) is a far cry from the early builds (read:buggy mess) of TH2. I find it to be very polished. I wouldn't have upgraded both of my parents' Lumia 640s otherwise.

Also, no issue with the camera flash.

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I installed the anniversary update on the release ring. It is definitely more polished than early builds. Seems like MS is listening to customers for the most part (the AU on my W10 pro took away some group policy functions so I can't say they are fully listening). The AU updates for W10M is definitely bringing much needed polishing and features.

seVen_S

Aug 13, 2016
Visit site
I'm not sure what I did. I got sick of waiting so I installed the windows insider app. Then I ran the Windows upgrade advisor app. It gave me confirmation Windows 10 upgrade was available. It seemed weird, because it didn't seem to be part of windows insider. I then uninstalled windows insider and ran the windows upgrade advisor app again and it said my phone was still ready for upgrade. I had to delete a bunch of stuff to make room for the update and once it was all done it installed windows 10 version 1511 OS build 10.0.10586.107

Anyway, just thought I'd pass this along and see if anyone else has had Windows 10 confirmation too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ariaabsom