Lumia 640 VS Moto X 1 gen

Andrew Lopez3

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
I currently have a Moto x and it been giving me lost of trouble since its update to lollipop. I have been looking into Windows Phone for some time and now the Lumia 640 got my attention. Would it be a downgrade to go from the Moto X to the Lumia 640, since I lose 1gb of memory or windows make up for it since it more efficient OS. Also will I improve on the picture since moto x 10mp camera was never that great vs 8mp in the lumia (which is know for good quality picture).

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I would say the 640 is a capable phone for the money.
Here in the US it's very reasonably priced for what you get with the phone.
There are one or two caveats that may be a shock coming from Android.

I would say all in all you may be pleasantly surprised especially if you enjoy taking pics and videos with your phone.
Good luck and welcome on board!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The main issue will be related to apps. I have a 2013 Moto X, but I still haven't gotten Lollipop.

I used to use a Lumia 920 as my primary device, but that is now a test device due to the constant "resuming" that I saw whenever I opened apps. I don't have any lag on the Moto X running 4.4.4 KitKat.

What apps do you use on Android? Have you checked to see if they are available for Windows Phone?

The Lumia 920 has similar camera specs as the 640. The 920 really isn't that great for pictures. I haven't noticed any difference in quality between the 920 pictures and the Moto X pictures.

I really found that I got better pictures with the Lumia 900 running Windows Phone 7.5/7.8 than I did with the Lumia 920 running Windows Phone 8.1 Cyan.

Update: I got Lollipop today. I'll see how it behaves.

Last edited:

Andrew Lopez3

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
I understand that windows has less app, am not too concerned with that it more so the stability of windows is will 1gb be enough and will I not lose in the camera experience coming from the moto x.

RK928

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
I was using an HTC One M7 with the latest Lollipop update. 5.1 is a great improvement over 5.0, which was a disaster on the M7, locking it up completely to a point where I had to send it back to HTC for repair ($90.00!).

I bought a 640 and I think it's a bit of apples vs. oranges comparison, but I like the 640 and the WP environment much better.

It's bulletproof compared to Android and it's more of a complete "system", where Android is more of the "wild west". Android is very app based; everything depends on the apps and I find the Google ecosystem to never quite work right together.

The Windows phone system is much more of a coordinated system where everything works well together. Other than the Visual Voicemail, which isn't available yet on the 640 via AT&T...

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I understand that windows has less app, am not too concerned with that it more so the stability of windows is will 1gb be enough and will I not lose in the camera experience coming from the moto x.

I don't personally have a 640, but I have a 925 and 920. A Windows Phone with 1GB of RAM will be fine for you and should run smoothly, perhaps even moreso than your Moto X.

Also, I have to respectfully disagree with Laura about the 920 regarding pictures. I've found the camera on that phone to be quite excellent. If the 640's camera is indeed similar, you should be really happy with it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans