Lumia 920 as an action cam

Allen Balkema

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
So i decided to try out the OIS in my lumia 920 as an action cam(i tried this with my old iphone 4 several times with the same mount with HORRIBLE results.) i used a rudimentary helmet mount which works very well, and i built it out of a metal coat hangar. the video will be live in a few hours as its like 2 gigs, and still uploading. heres the link for it when its up
Nokia Lumia 920 as an action cam - YouTube
i maxed out the camera settings at 1080p with continuous focus on, and i must say it turned out admirably well for a first time, the video is aimed down a bit too much, but just seeing how smooth it is is amazing.

If anyone can tell me how i can get someone to write a frontpage article about it, i will take a couple videos of better angles and upload them, this would be great if we can get the word out for this phone being a good action camera. the video is smoother than my freinds gopro HD hero2! the OIS goes a LONG way.

Allen Balkema

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
The video is now live, may not be in full HD, yet. but its up.
The hangar mount works flawless when its aimed right, i just made another video and its awesome, im too cheap to pay for an action mount anyways lol

VoodooKing#WP

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi, Can you upload your Iphone videos as well as a comparison? It's hard to judge the greatness of the OIS in Lumia 920 without some sort of comparison.

eserrano250

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I would also like to see a picture of your actual set up on the helmet. I've been wanting to do something like this for when I go mountain biking but I'm too cheap to buy a mount as well. Would love to see the comparison videos of the iPhone as well. I might have to rig something up and go shred the trails.

Allen Balkema

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I would also like to see a picture of your actual set up on the helmet. I've been wanting to do something like this for when I go mountain biking but I'm too cheap to buy a mount as well. Would love to see the comparison videos of the iPhone as well. I might have to rig something up and go shred the trails.

ill post a picture of the setup tomorrow, as well as some new footage, i dont have a go pro, but ill try to borrow my friends. i sold my iphone but ill grab my brothers old 4.

Allen Balkema

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
soooo after searching for it for a couple hours yesterday and today, my dad thought it was a peice of junk and threw it in the garbage, but ill try to describe it as best as i can: i take a peice of coat hangar and fold it down the center so its in a large "U" then fold the U along the horizontal axis so imagine the U with a strikethrough, thats where you fold it, only a little closer to the base of the U. when youve done that fold it in do you can clip it onto the bill of a hat, then just fold the remaining two peices around the lumia to hold it in place. ill be making another one when Its warm enough to shoot clay pigeons here in michigan.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
A little off topic, but action shot related...

I'm signed up for the tough mudder in Austin, 4/20, and would like to take my phone with me, but many of the obstacles are water based which doesn't bode well with phones... I've thought about vacuum sealing it in a plastic bag, but how well do u think it would fare for action videos and obstacle photos? Not to mention taking video/pictures through plastic. Any advice?

eserrano250

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm signed up for the tough mudder in Austin, 4/20, and would like to take my phone with me, but many of the obstacles are water based which doesn't bode well with phones... I've thought about vacuum sealing it in a plastic bag, but how well do u think it would fare for action videos and obstacle photos? Not to mention taking video/pictures through plastic. Any advice?

I haven't signed up yet but a couple of my friends and I are thinking about doing the toughmudder in Austin as well. I doubt I will attempt to use the phone because of the water obstacles.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kasha963