Lumia 920 infinite restart loop

majd_selbi

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
Im totally depressed, I live in Jordan, was on a business trip to Iraq, where I went to a phone shop and got my Lumia 920 (which I was totally excited about), I got it from over there because its cheaper (no taxes). I got back to Jordan, started my phone, installed a few apps, checked for system updates, saw there was an update available, downloaded and installed the update, then BAM. Lumia restarted (got the black Nokia screen), when the Nokia logo disappears, it restarts again, when the Nokia logo disappears, it restarts again, and again, and again, and again, until the battery dies, I can't shut it down, I can't restart or reset... I can't do anything but to watch it keep it restarting until its battery died.

I took it to the local Nokia authorized dealer/maintenance, they checked it and said, in nice words (throw it in the garbage), its motherboard is not functional, and since I bought it from somewhere else then its not included in their warranty, and replacing the motherboard is out of questions because it basically costs the same price as the device itself.

Is there anything, anything that I can do, shouldn't the warranty be international????? or should I just shoot myself in the head

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Seeing as though Iraq and Jordan are both in the Middle East your warranty should be valid in any Middle Eastern country. I've a feeling that the Nokia Care facility you visited are fobbing you off.

Things you can try to get your phone working again are a soft reset first. Press and hold the Volume down and Power buttons together until the phone vibrates. Hopefully it will boot back up.

If that doesn't work then you can do a factory reset. With the phone turned off press and hold the Volume DOWN key and then connect the charger. An exclamation mark should now appear. Now press the following buttons in the exact order: Volume UP, Volume DOWN, POWER then Volume DOWN. This will now fully reset the device and restore it to factory defaults so any personal data will also be erased.

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
The above should work. If it does not, do this.

Step one, allow battery to die completely.

Step two, remove sim.

Step three, insert charging cable

Step four, while Nokia logo is displayed press VOL UP, VOL DOWN, POWER, VOL UP.

Step five, hold power, vol down and camera button until the phone resets.

Step six, the phone should go black, screen on, but nothing displayed. HOLD VOL DOWN AND POWER.

It should now reset and load up into your welcome sceen

majd_selbi

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
It seemed to have worked!!!!
thanks both @WorzelGummage and @Kellzea, i dont know what is it exactly that I did, but it was a combination of both your tips, and now its back alive
needless to say, im treating it with extra care and being actually worried that it could happen again, so my question now is, is this a common case, Lumia dying on the spot?

thanks again

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad your phone is working again but I'm also annoyed at the useless advice you were given by that Nokia dealer. I'm just an average lay person but I know enough about phones to know that a failed software update will not break a motherboard.
Going back to your original issue though, it sounds like a software glitch and the OS falling over itself during the update. These things can happen but are generally a rare occurrence so I wouldn't worry too much about it happening again.

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
According to Nokia it happens because of an issue with storage. If you have over a certain number of files you get that loop when you reset.

I was assured that it only happens the first time. But even if it does happen again. You know the trick now :p

Caleb Adams

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
hi. after the reset, were u able to watch your videos and view settings? cos mine switches back to the main menu after i select those options.

Gopal_88

Oct 11, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,I got the same problem..While updating the mobile due to some problem my phone got struck and after that its restrating again and again..i ve tried soft and hard reset but no benifit,,i gave my phn to care...they said its a mother board issue...they said its a motherboard issue they cant do any thing,,,what to do..please suggest

marx88xram

May 29, 2014
Visit site
While step 5 works for me if my phone is frozen, it doesn't help at all when you're phone is on reboot loop. I suggest doing step 2 and step 4 since those worked for me. Thanks a lot
:smile:

Soumya Thakur

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
i am using lumia 730 after following these steps my lumia show windows icon for a seconds then again it started to show spinning wheel what to do

ShaunMeiring

Nov 26, 2015
Visit site
On my phone, the "NOKIA" loading screen doesn't stay long enough to reset using the pattern. how can i completetly wipe my phone? I can't even connect it to my laptop?

Nisha Thumbre

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
hi, I tried factory reset by holding the Volume DOWN key and then connect the charger. An exclamation mark appear. then press the Volume UP, Volume DOWN, POWER then Volume DOWN but as soon as i click power button exclamation marks goes off & phone restart again.
Also tired factory rest using vol up, vol down & power button and then power, vol down & camera button but it shows gear for some time then goes off.
Please help.:cry:

Suvamoy Deb

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site
I have the same issue with my nokia lumia 730....i tried the master reset and windows recovery tool..but nothing happened..it is still in a boot loop...PLEASE HELP

Suvamoy Deb

Jul 20, 2016
Visit site
My phone was on charger after few hour it restarts automatically.After that it shows Nokia logo then windows icon,then again nokia logo and windows icon...again and again and again.I tried the hard reset and the software recovery tool.Though the software re-installation was successful the phone is still in boot loop.. please help....

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
so you were able to reinstall the OS, but it still happens? I've had a few 920's do that, but software reinstall fixed it. will take some research on that one.

My phone was on charger after few hour it restarts automatically.After that it shows Nokia logo then windows icon,then again nokia logo and windows icon...again and again and again.I tried the hard reset and the software recovery tool.Though the software re-installation was successful the phone is still in boot loop.. please help....

jak01

Dec 29, 2016
Visit site
My Lumia 635 was in a restart loop so I pulled out the sim card and tried the phone without it. It started with no problem. I then sprayed contact cleaner on the sim contacts in the phone. Put the sim card back in and it has been working fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)