Lumia 920 sales should be Halted

scgf

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
You could go on any smart phone forum and see numerous posts about poor battery life. My son had an iPhone 5 where the battery drained in two or three hours. Apple replaced the battery. No difference. They gave him a new phone. He still had the same issue. In his case it turned out it was one or more of his apps. He defaulted his phone and started again, making sure he only loaded apps he needed and found battery life increased dramatically.

If you don't use the phone and install no apps you'll get amazing battery life, if you cram it full of network guzzling apps and use it all day long, you'll get poor battery life. You need to be somewhere between the two. I tend to shut down apps which I reckon are polling the internet heavily in the background, have mail set to manual fetch and think about what's going on.

The real problem is that of battery technology. It just hasn't kept pace with other technological advancements and we're paying the price.

Sayyid Shoaib

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I agee with you scgf

Hopefully improvements in battery technology will give smartphones a longer lease of life and us users worry-free experience to get most out of our phones. I heard Japan is really working on something. Maybe next couple of years might get a breakthrough :winktongue:

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm very sorry you've had this experience Revfast, but it does seem to be unusual as customer satisfaction is very high for Windows Phone and until recently, the Lumia 920 was the best selling WP device. If you get a large enough number of users, you're bound to get some who are disgruntled, but its important not to think this is the norm and certainly no reason to halt sales. The 920 is still one of the very best Windows Phones out there with no compelling upgrade option.

Reading your account I do wonder why you're walking around with both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enabled. This is bad not only for power use, but also for security reasons. Sending private information, including log in details, unencrypted over public Wi-Fi is not a good idea, which is why many of us want VPN and PGP supported on Windows Phone. The general rule is if you're not using it, turn it off.

Other than that though, I'd make sure you're running the latest firmware and versions of the apps. You are a heavy user, so I'd like to recommend buying something like a Power Monkey which can recharge your device when it gets low. I never used to be without it when I ran an HD7, though my Lumia doesn't need it. Another thing I'd recommend is a wireless charging pad. The Qi charger has removed a source of stress, because it is a natural place to leave the device so I never wake up and realise I've forgotten to charge it.

As for Nokia and Microsoft not caring, that is clearly not the case and it doesn't seem like you've dealt with either organisation. The GDR2/Amber updates are useful, have been delivered in the time frame promised and at least two more updates are on the way. You wouldn't get such service on an Android device and Apple would tell you you're holding the device incorrectly. Meanwhile, Microsoft have just doubled the period over which they'll support Windows Phones, so don't tell me Microsoft are unresponsive.

Finally, your comments about Surface are irrelevant to your experience. Your life with mobile technology will improve once you adopt a reasonable set of expectations.

Vardhan Shrivastava

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Its unfortunate that this happens to you..bt this problem is only with few units here and there imo ....ive been using 920 since the last two,months....i do evruthing..internet surfing you tube app surfing nd downloading....even I am posting this via the phone....wifi is on only wen I need it...for,larger downloads...and 3g antena is always on locationa services too...bt the only time the battery dives too fast is wen I play games like real football...else it averages out to 7 8hrs tops,easily....! Its upto u how u optimise ur usage

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry you are having problems with it... However... I haven't met a person IRL (I know a few 920 owners) who has had any problems with them. Neither reception issues, battery issues or OS bugs.

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Change your two mail accounts from 15 and 30 minutes to As Items Arrive. I know that this sounds like it will use more battery, but it likely won't unless you really get mail more frequently than that throughout the day. The As Items Arrive settings means that the phone does not have to keep checking to see if there's new mail. Instead, it asks the server to let it know when something has happened in your mailbox and then -- only once it knows that there's new mail to get -- it connects to get mail.

bjd223

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Frustration is the only thing I?m receiving from my Lumia 920. It?s really unbelievable and unacceptable that we get treated by MS and Nokia this way. I've stuck it out and patiently waited for apps to be updated and for OS bugs to be squashed, and instead I get glance, and double tap -more features that use MORE battery. It seems like they really have their priorities screwed up.

While waiting for my phone to be replaced at the ATT store I noticed that there was another person with a Lumia 920 frustrated at the phone because the proximity sensor wasn't working. If they are wondering why their phones aren?t selling well; this is why. Word of mouth is really all they have. Look at how many commercials were put out on the surface and compare that to how many products they sold. They actually had to do an Ebay fire sale to get the product to move off the shelves!

After I got my refurbished phone, I noticed that the power and camera buttons were loose and worn out. The camera button was so pressed in that you could barely get it to activate when you tried to press on it. The ATT rep noticed that and went back in and got another refurbished phone. The buttons on the second one were in better shape but the Rep couldn?t get the SIM card tray to open. The Rep got frustrated and went back and grabbed another one. This last one seemed like buttons were ok and she was able to remove the SIM card tray without a problem. Wonderful quality assurance, I wonder who oversees the refurb process?

The rep Rep inserted my SIM card and we waited for the phone to do its normal boot up process. She tested phone calls and asked me if I wanted her to setup my live account. I kindly told her that I would do that later and that I was on my lunch break. So I left.

When I got back to work I decided to only install the apps that I use on a day to day basis, without adding the respective accounts to the phone. Do you guys remember the commercial where they tested the speed of Windows Phone vs the competition, like the ability to tweet and post a facebook status?

So the only apps I installed were WhatsApp, Facebook beta, Rowi and WP Central. I also added my Live account and Exchange Work account(one set to sync every 30 and the other every 15 minutes respectively). And since I have to conserve power I have Bluetooth, Wifi, NFC and Location Services turned OFF, I only turn Wifi on when I need to. The only Background process I have it Whatsapp. I?ve also disabled Xbox Games and Xbox Music from the Settings ? Applications menu. To me that's pretty low key setup compared to how I normally set it up.

My normal setup is to have both of my emails set to push and to set up Twitter, Facebook and Linkedin under Accounts, Wifi and Location ON and installing all of my apps (Viber, Skype, Skydrive, LinkedIN, SportsCenter, Chase, Wellsfargo, Bing Weather, Convert2Go, Creative Studio, Domino?s Pizza, all the Synology Apps, Ebay, Endomondo, fhotoroom, flashlight-x, flixter, fotor, fresh paint, groupon, mytube, network tools, nokia music, pageonce, panorama, paypal, pdf reader, play to, proshot, redbox, refocus, smartshoot, sophielens pro, speedtest, uc browser, yelp).

But since I have to conserve Battery or else my phone dies out in 4 to 5 hrs, Im handicapped on my experience (for now).

The whole reason behind this is to try to find the motive for the excessive battery drain. My plan is to try the phone with these apps for couple of days and if I keep having the battery drain I will uninstall one app at a time until the drain stops. Again If I can?t install apps because the phone can?t take it or battery drains from us installing them then it?s no point to having Windows phone 8. If I get to the end of the trial and still have the battery drain well let?s just say the Lumia will sit as a paper weight for a while.

I really love this phone it?s a great interface, it?s fast, intuitive, but if you can?t use it or take advantage of all the features because you have to disable them in order save battery then it?s no better than iOS or android for that matter. Might as well go back and get a dumb phone and do everything on my PC.

MS and Nokia we have really high expectations and but very little actions. Know issues have not been looked at or acknowledged, and quoting that you are nowhere near close to positioning yourself near android or iOS (numbers, apps and feature wise) you have to step up and be better or handle things better than your competitors.

With that said the only way I see them stepping up and actually doing something about it is to hurt them where it does matter $$$$$$$$. If ATT would put their foot down and HALT all sales then maybe it would get things moving. But we all know that this drastic move would not only hurt MS and Nokia it would also hurt ATT numbers $$$$$$. All I ask for is to remove the uncertainty and come out and acknowledge the issues and give us an ETA on the reported issues, because the only thing you are telling me and the community now is just that you DON?T CARE.

Turn off NFC, and location services. Leave on Wifi and make sure to connect it to your home/work and when you are away somewhere where you don't get Wifi consider turning it off. Go into Settings > Applications > Background Tasks and block everything in the list unless you need it to run in the background. I dont even allow Nokia Here+ to run in the background. The only thing I allow is weather and metrotube so I can listen behind the lockscreen.

Also when you use your phone you have to hit the back button to completely close an app. If you hit home the app is allowed to run in the background until conditions are met to tombstone it. The list of apps that might run in the background are located at Settings > Applications > Background Tasks > Advanced.

Also the intervals on your email may not be optimal for battery life depending on how many emails you get. If you get lots of emails all day then having a timed interval can be better. But if you dont get lots of email than setting the phone to "as items arrive" may actually be better.

Anyway these are some of the things that I did that def. helped my battery life. Hopefully they will help you also.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zahrajooon1254