Lumia 920 - Wireless charging issues

Pedro Hicken

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Im having this issue now. iafter the grief i had with sending my first phone back though i might have to live with this.

How do i check the coil on the back? has anyone attempted a repair?

Nick Lucas

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I got my wireless charger yesterday and was dubious last night that it wasn't charging the phone, as the light comes on but the phone doesn't change state or ping at me.
Low and behold it hadn't charged at-all this morning.

After reading some threads I tried switching the phone off and placing it on the plate, and the phone reacted by switched back on, although it didn't make a difference to it not charging.

I'm putting my bets on a software issue, as I have a feeling there is software control (Or a chip between the coil and phone, and in 2012 you'd expect that to be control-able by software) to switch the wireless charging on and off? since the phone reacted to the plate I would assume the software is just not switching charging on although the hardware is talking fine.

Waiting for this software update before I make an decisions about hardware issues.

Pedro Hicken

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Just noticed if i turn the phone off and push down on the phone ever so slightly, The phone switches on and (i believe) begins to charge.

I removed the rubber ring what the phone sits on but this has had no effect.

Pedro Hicken

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I got my wireless charger yesterday and was dubious last night that it wasn't charging the phone, as the light comes on but the phone doesn't change state or ping at me.
Low and behold it hadn't charged at-all this morning.

After reading some threads I tried switching the phone off and placing it on the plate, and the phone reacted by switched back on, although it didn't make a difference to it not charging.

I'm putting my bets on a software issue, as I have a feeling there is software control (Or a chip between the coil and phone, and in 2012 you'd expect that to be control-able by software) to switch the wireless charging on and off? since the phone reacted to the plate I would assume the software is just not switching charging on although the hardware is talking fine.

Waiting for this software update before I make an decisions about hardware issues.

There seems to be quite afew issues like this floating around, such as on the Nokia forums. Here's hoping it is a software issue...

Daniel Edwards

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Same here. I can lay it pretty much anywhere on the pad and it charges. Does get a little warm though. I agree with joeaux, change it... again ;-)

marveldave

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue. the led never goes off but the phone is charged...
before i replaced my phone the led was working fine and it turned off after the phone was charged... i guess it has to do with a phone?

Same exact issue as mine. The led was working as well before I replaced my phone. Don't know what the deal with this.

Sinabu

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Just noticed if i turn the phone off and push down on the phone ever so slightly, The phone switches on and (i believe) begins to charge.

I removed the rubber ring what the phone sits on but this has had no effect.

Sorry just caught this in your reply. What rubber ring are you talking about? If you have the regular plate charger the only rubber piece on mine is the one on the bottom of the charger to rest against your furniture etc. Do you have your's upside down?

Pedro Hicken

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Sorry just caught this in your reply. What rubber ring are you talking about? If you have the regular plate charger the only rubber piece on mine is the one on the bottom of the charger to rest against your furniture etc. Do you have your's upside down?

I have one around the nokia sign....yours not have that then?

Pedro Hicken

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Ive lifted it out so you can see what im on about. This is the side the phone sits on.

8290924215_31f58ab278.jpg

Sinabu

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Ok, yes mine has that but it sits flush with the plate on mine. When you mentioned rubber ring I was thinking you meant the one on the bottom of the plate..

Tony Cooper

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Originally Posted by Tony Cooper

Charger worked for four days then stopped working. Got replacement one hour ago, brought it home, and still doesn't charge phone. Concluded it was phone, and did soft reset (hold volume down + power button down for ten seconds). Still doesn't work. Was going to do hard reset, but don't wanna because I'm thinking that won't solve problem. Are there any other things I can try (testing, etc) before replacing phone? TIA for help here.

UPDATE: Went back to store and they agreed it was a PHONE problem. Within warranty, so AT&T is sending new phone. Should have next week

Hey, btw, AT&T came out with PHONE UPDATE TODAY. Haven't tried wireless charger yet, but it supposedly fixed a number of problems, including the bluetooth issue.

UPDATE: 12/20/12 7:48 EST
Did not fix wireless charger issue. My replacement phone should be here in a day or so.

FINAL UPDATE: 12/24/12 3:15 pm EST
Received replacement phone a couple of days ago. Reloaded apps from Skydrive backup. Rearranged tiles, etc. and settings for apps.
IMPORTANT STEP: Installed the major update to the operating system just released.
Placed phone on wireless charger, and lo and behold . . . .THE CHARGER WORKS!
So it's only been a couple of days, so will report back if the problem occurs again.
Note: The major update was installed before placing the phone on the wireless charger.
Did that make a difference and will it continue to make a difference? Who knows . . . .anyway, hopefully my final update.
Thanks.
:grin:

FINAL FINAL UPDATE: (really! :) 1/20/13 12:40 PM EST
Since replacing phone, the wireless charger has worked flawlessly. Absolutely, no problems.

Last edited:

rubynokia

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
i have an issue with my wireless charger as well. I place it to charge and then after a little bit it blinks telling me charging is finished, but it only brought it to %85 battery. Is that a phone issue or charger?

Pedro Hicken

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Found out the problem to be the 4 wireless connection pins on the board that link up to the coil. 2 of them had snapped off. Hardware fault. Phone needs to be replaced. :unhappysweat:

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Okay guys, i put my 920 on my new Fatboy, and took it off at 100% at 5am.
Without use, it was at 45% at 11am.

Normally it drains slightly over 1% per hour, and this decrease was steady, not a staggered drop.

Any ideas?

Pedro Hicken

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Check to see its the right way up inside the sleeve. If not that, you may very well have what i have. Theres afew peple around that have the same issue on the Nokia forums.

drg

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I just got a wireless charger 2 days ago and have noticed the same problem. It charges fine to 100% but i lost like 50% in 2 hours which wasn't happening when charging by cable. Will start a new thread on this and also will do a full charge via cable later tonight.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs