Lumia 930 - Black aluminium frame

McDaddyMike

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Today I was playing with L930 in local store and I realised, that the black version has black aluminium frame. I like it a lot, but I have one question. Is it just coated with black color? Does anyone know? Because if yes, then it will look terribly with scratches. Thanks for replies.

Mars2003

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Anodized is my guess.

It's is a pretty strong/resistant coating and indeed the grey/silver one will likely have gone through a similar process.

McDaddyMike

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious about this, because I wouldn't like to have silver scratches on black frame. It must look much worse than silver scratches on silver frame. You know what i mean...

EDIT:
This is what I am talking about. It's an Iphone with anodized black aluminium body. It's scratched and it looks terribly. http://i0.sinaimg.cn/IT/digia/ip5/06.jpg

So I think I'll buy the silver one and change the back cover to black.

Last edited:

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I think I somewhere here in this forum read about someone posting a link to Nokia Discussions, stating that it will NOT scratch that easily. Anyways, it does feel a lot different than on iPhones (I had one, guess what: it scratched), it's a lot more matte and just feels different :D but I can't promise anything, I can't put it to the test :p

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
If it's anything like the 925's black frame, it won't scratch easily. I've been using mine for many months without a case and I can't see a single scratch.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I wish they could have used this procedure for rest of the colored devices, Green Aluminium coating for Green 930 and similarly for orange too

Racing Snake

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I wish they could have used this procedure for rest of the colored devices, Green Aluminium coating for Green 930 and similarly for orange too
I dunno, I think the different coloured frame breaks up the colour...
I wouldn't buy and orange phone with an orange frame, but I'm happy with an orange phone with silver frame (or would probably be happy with a black phone and orange frame - that would look pretty sharp :) )

McDaddyMike

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I dunno, I think the different coloured frame breaks up the colour...
I wouldn't buy and orange phone with an orange frame, but I'm happy with an orange phone with silver frame (or would probably be happy with a black phone and orange frame - that would look pretty sharp :) )

Yea, silver frame looks better with orange or green frame. :) Also I really like the black one, with the black frame.. It looks great. But I really wouldn't like to have silver teeth or scratches on black frame. :-/ So I decided to buy the green one, when it's available and I'll buy the black back. What I've seen on this forum, it shouldn't be hard to change the back. :)

zwuncki

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
I wanted the all black too. But at a german news site and german WP forum I read that the black aluminium frame there scratched easily and the silver scratches are already on it. An all black device with silver aluminium scratches? No thanks.

Be careful!

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Yea, silver frame looks better with orange or green frame. :) Also I really like the black one, with the black frame.. It looks great. But I really wouldn't like to have silver teeth or scratches on black frame. :-/ So I decided to buy the green one, when it's available and I'll buy the black back. What I've seen on this forum, it shouldn't be hard to change the back. :)

I don't know how silver looks good with orange and green. Black frame looks perfect in with black model. The combination of silver is completely odd with orange and green. With orange they should have implemented golden color frame and with green, a lime color frame. The color combination should match. I've done littlebit of designing, so it is my personal openion. Others openion might differ.

Stephen Lynam

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
I have the 925with black anodised frame and it has scratched on one side.. from my keys in pocket with phone...... stupid I know... anyhow when I get the 930 I'm getting the aluminium colour frame with green back

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't know how silver looks good with orange and green. Black frame looks perfect in with black model. The combination of silver is completely odd with orange and green. With orange they should have implemented golden color frame and with green, a lime color frame. The color combination should match. I've done littlebit of designing, so it is my personal openion. Others openion might differ.

I completely agree. The silver frame on orange and green looks bad, specially because of the tone of green and orange they went for. If they'd went with a darker, bottle-green, the silver would look good.
As for the black frame, it does look good. But luckily, silver also looks good with black. It breaks the "unibody" design a bit but it's the a good combination. If the frame starts to scratch, it's a bummer but you can always either have it replaced for all brushed off and it will still look better than silver and bright green and orange

gerzhwin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have the 925with black anodised frame and it has scratched on one side.. from my keys in pocket with phone...... stupid I know... anyhow when I get the 930 I'm getting the aluminium colour frame with green back

Could the silver come from your keys and not from scratched off black coating?

M L

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm curious about this, because I wouldn't like to have silver scratches on black frame. It must look much worse than silver scratches on silver frame. You know what i mean...

So I think I'll buy the silver one and change the back cover to black.

I'm thinking the same thing. I typically would buy the black version, but I really like the look of the silver frame, wish the black model came with the option of silver frame. So I'll probably get the white one with silver frame and see if the back cover can be changed to black.

Brandon McLean

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I have a black frame on my icon and it's really hard to scratch. also you guys could try doing what I plan on doing as a project: replace the back plate with a different color! I'm going to try to get an orange plate with the black frame
Sent from my Lumia Icon using Tapatalk

jirkahtc

Banned
Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I do not agree. I owed a black Nokia Lumia 930 and the black color peeled in some places . It were on the spots where the rear cover meets the edge of the frame. I had to change the black one to a silver one. Nokia store did not make any problems - they accepted my request for the model change.

Stephen Lynam

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately not, it scratched through the anodised coating down to the bare aluminium..... I've a cover on it now so its out of sight, also the black anodised coating is way slippier than the normal aluminium

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte