Lumia 930 owners how is battery life?

Nikito27

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Im planing to switch to l930 from 5s.

Can you do some comparison? My battery on my 5s is holding like 24h top, using tapatalk, instagram, viber, maybe 20mins of chrome. Most of background app turned off. Bluetooth always off.

Mostly if i go out i take off the charger at 10am and i need to put it back on charger around 00 or 1am

I just dont want to jump to lumia and get worse battery life comparing to 5s.

Also if you can do headphone (in ear) comparison i would be very grateful. I just want to know if lumia930 is not too quiet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My lumia 930 does much better than my girlfriends 5s in terms of battery life. I use my lumia much more than she uses her 5s and still i manage to get a full day wile she has to plug in at around 7pm.
Dont worrie, it should have better battery life :) as for the headphone i cant say much, but i never had to complaint about my L930

Firdaus Edymainoe

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
I think the battery performance depends on the OS. The 2420 mAh battery is small compared to others but I don't think the battery should last this short. Hopefully the Denim update will improve it.

zainsul

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
Battery life with low to medium use is pretty good.
With mobile data off (I don't have a data plan), it easily lasts over a day and I can push it to 2 days as well.
wp_ss_20140908_0001.jpg

anon(4213556)

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
I find the standby battery very good, was at a busy day at work with data enabled, didn't get to do much bar check the odd message and news reading over lunch, went home and battery was 65% after 9h at work

But on browser I've to say battery life is quite sad. Lucky to get 2h on it

zack251

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I think this is the problem with OLED/AMOLED screens, they consume more power when you use it to browse but save more power when idle. It has to do with white color used by lots of web sites.

I find the standby battery very good, was at a busy day at work with data enabled, didn't get to do much bar check the odd message and news reading over lunch, went home and battery was 65% after 9h at work

But on browser I've to say battery life is quite sad. Lucky to get 2h on it

zainsul

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
Highest connection speed- 2G (I don't have a data plan, so anything higher is useless)
Switch WiFi, Bluetooth, location etc. on only when necessary.

Thats it! :)

Torontonian22

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
@zainsul, i hate to say this but we buy smartphones to do more stuff (or try at least :)), not to turn everything off because the manufacturer didn't even bother to put a proper battery.

I agree that turning things on/off will save the battery but it defeats the purpose of having a SMARTphone that's pack with features, don't you think? And to be honest, 2 days of battery with data off and most of the connectivity items turned off, that is not impressive. Other Android counterparts last as long if longer with everything turned ON. Yeah, they pack a bigger battery, we know, but that's what we expected from the high end lumias and apart from the 1520, battery life on WP is huge let down. My 920 can testify with 15h of battery life, whatever i do.

That's exactly the hassle i want to get rid off. I want to use my phone, not to play "battery manager 101"

zainsul

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
I fully accept what you are saying. But my view on this is different (probably because I come from the Symbian-based N8).

I do not feel the need to keep everything on all the time, especially when I know that I will not be using it for some time.
Take the example of a car: You do not leave the engine, air conditioner etc. running when you sleep at night or when you will be in office for the next few hours. You turn everything off. I apply the same logic to my phone.

Yes, it is a SMARTphone, packed with awesome features, but you do not use them all the time. It merely takes a couple of seconds to switch WiFi, location etc. on when needed.

Also, my 2 days of battery life is with WiFi turned on when required (Facebook, Twitter, general browsing etc.) and also about 90 minutes of gaming.

Again, I wish to reiterate that this is purely MY view and I do not wish to start a fight. Everyone is different, everyone's thinking and logic is different and I fully accept that.

Torontonian22

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
@zainsul, no worries, I'm not here to fight either :)

Regarding the way you use your smartphone, to each his own, right? It's your usage and i entirely respect that.

But for me (and maybe a lot of other users), i rely on location and bluetooth more often then not. I do turn off bluetooth when i don't need it for a while off course, but all the other settings are always on.

It would actually be great if we could actually create some profiles in WP8.1. that may already be the case so if i'm completely off topic, let me know.

For example, cortana knows when you are home or when you are leaving. Why not configure it to switch to 2g and wifi when you get home and turn off wifi and turn on 3g when you get out? Why not have a setting to enable battery saver over a period of time. For example, if my phone is not charging, i'd love battery saver to get on from 11pm-8am. All of that should be automatic after you configure your phone to your needs. It does take 2s to toggle things on/off but it's easy to forget sometimes. The goal of smartphones is to adapt to your needs, not you trying your best to compromise as much as you can.

zainsul

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
Agree fully with you.The profile suggestion, if implemented, would be extremely useful. I, apart from my N8's Xenon flash, miss the profile option in the Lumia 930. I had many profiles on my N8 to fit different situations.
And I live in the UAE, so I do not have Cortana yet, but yes, the added level of customization would be very useful.
But being a long time Symbian user, I have probably got used to compromising! :)
Here's hoping that the Denim update, which will be rolled out to us first (and the 1520 and Icon), brings better battery management with it (just like 8.1 was an improvement over 8.0).

Marco Ciccone

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm looking for a Lumia 930 but I don't know if it can last a full day with my usage.

This is my typical smartphone usage:
- Wifi and GSP always on;
- Cellular data on (3G, no LTE).

- social networks (twitter, linkedin, facebook), wheather, whatsapp, skype and rss reader running in background.
- 2 email/contacts accounts synced, one manually, one push.

- 4 hours of heavy usage (during commute and launch break): listening to offline music, surfing the web, checking social networks/emails and news via rss reader;
- 50-100 messages via whatsapp or sms;
- pairing with fitbit via bluetooth once a day;
- 10-20 minutes calling (rarely via viber);
- 10-20 minutes of apps that use GPS: maps, transit or car sharing apps like car2go.

I read that L930 battery life is not the best out there, but I didn't understand if with my typical usage it can last a whole day, it would be perfect for me to reach the end of the day (I mean 10 or 11 p.m.) with some extra juice, i.e. 10%.

Thanks for all replies

Nikito27

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Absolutely would die in the mid or early afternoon.
I decided to buy a wireless charging battery pack and am really happy since!

Firdaus Edymainoe

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm looking for a Lumia 930 but I don't know if it can last a full day with my usage.

This is my typical smartphone usage:
- Wifi and GSP always on;
- Cellular data on (3G, no LTE).

- social networks (twitter, linkedin, facebook), wheather, whatsapp, skype and rss reader running in background.
- 2 email/contacts accounts synced, one manually, one push.

- 4 hours of heavy usage (during commute and launch break): listening to offline music, surfing the web, checking social networks/emails and news via rss reader;
- 50-100 messages via whatsapp or sms;
- pairing with fitbit via bluetooth once a day;
- 10-20 minutes calling (rarely via viber);
- 10-20 minutes of apps that use GPS: maps, transit or car sharing apps like car2go.

I read that L930 battery life is not the best out there, but I didn't understand if with my typical usage it can last a whole day, it would be perfect for me to reach the end of the day (I mean 10 or 11 p.m.) with some extra juice, i.e. 10%.

Thanks for all replies
I don't think so. You'll probably will get through half a day with that heavy usage.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
If you top it up at 50% "several times", it should hold on to the upper end of its voltage longer.

Unfortunately due to last year's Snapdragon 800's less efficient processor, and possibly due to the less efficient version of the amoled screen that Samsung sells to Nokia, the battery life of the Lumia 920 will never be that great..

How much less efficient 800 are than 801? I think it's pretty much the same.

AirSlab

May 22, 2014
Visit site
Mine is great, tbh. I'm coming from a Samsung Galaxy S II that, based on my usage (lots of texts, some facebook and twitter, like 30 minutes of browsing, auto brightness, some photos, etc) would generally go 12.5 - 14 hours, depending. So normally, wake up at 7, plug it back in around 19:30 to 21:00, which is how I remember it to be.

My 930, with similar usage, goes 18 (lowest ever) to 30 hours. I don't let it die, but it's on the battery for 20 hours a day and I generally go to bed after 20 hours with 25-35% left, so I'd say I could get 25. Mind, I don't baby it at all, I use what I want when I want, though I do turn NFC and Location off at all times, but I never use battery saver. On the whole I'm really pleased. It can't last two days for me under my normal usage, but if you told me this morning "We have no electricity until tomorrow evening" I could make it last two days.

deksawyer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I received my 930 last week via GiffGaff and it's been mostly a pleasurable experience so far.

I'm an Android man, for quite a long time, and have loved every iteration of it so far. I used to run a WP8 launcher on my Nexus 4 and loved the look (it was actually much more configurable than official WP8) and always had a soft spot for the OS. I've never had or would want an iPhone, no matter how good it was meant to be.

Anyway, so far the Lumia 930 is pretty good - all google contacts/emails/files transferred successfully, as well as text messages. Music is another matter - not liking the closed system with regards to this and the lack of native flac support. Deezer app is excellent though.

Battery has been pretty exceptional compared to the Nexus 4 (which I always thought was OK). I can easily go 2 days without a charge and this is with email/facebook/texting/phoning/and web browsing.

It's a slick handset, and will get better with updates....

D.

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Battery life is pretty poor on mine, I get similar battery life to my almost 2 year old 920. Pretty much every day my battery drops rapidly from when I take it off charge, after about half an hour it drops to around 85%. I took mine off the charge just 40 minutes ago and following some browser use, checking wpcentral, facebook, news reading and sending a couple messages on messenger, I'm sitting on 80% currently. That's 1% every two minutes.

It has decent standby battery life but under any sort of use it is really poor. If you're like me and use the browser and social networking apps such as messenger a lot then you can forget about the 930 lasting you a full day.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb