Lumia 950 problems seem to go on forever

curseoftheninja

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I will try it, but of course it seems ridiculous that one of the features of a high end phone can not be used.

This has been my experience with the 950 as well. I understand things have bugs and problems, but a $550 "flagship" should not consistently have issues. I have had to reset my 950 4 times. That is beyond ridiculous for a "flagship." I never had to reset my 920 or my 1520. If I have to reset again, I am going to try to get out of using my 950 and trade it in for an s7.

Dexter_Morgan9

May 8, 2016
Visit site
Although it runs that laggy, buggy garbage called android.

That used to be the case, and I tried the note 3, 4, and 5 and yes they did lag. These new samsungs are truly amazing, if you want to tinker you can theme them and whatnot, but it's a lot smoother than my lumia 950.

Windows phones really don't have much room at the table anymore, besides cameras. My 950 is the worst "flagship" device I have ever used. Even the nexus 6 gets better battery life, and that was terrible.

My iPhone does everything better except take pictures, but that's not a big deal. To anyone thinking of getting a 950, I say stop: get a 1520, it's cheaper and performance/battery is BETTER. Or get an iPhone, to me they are still the best devices on the market. They are optimized perfectly.

Dexter_Morgan9

May 8, 2016
Visit site
How is the s7 compared to 950 in terms of performance? Mean in terms of social networking and office apps. I need to make a decision.

Get th s7, it's not even a question. The 950 only matches it in camera, but the windows store is a barren wasteland, android and iOS get all the new apps to play with, like the new social networking site Peach. Windows phones are for Microsoft enthusiasts, and most of them are ok with th shortcomings of the device. Once you use a high quality android or iPhone, you see what you've been missing.

ZPITA

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Getting back on topic, I have now tried everything with no luck. Reset the phone, removed micro sd card, even tried with back off and overheating problem continues, and perhaps a little worse. In most cases I can not watch an on line video, like You tube for more then a few minutes. Even long Whatsapp messges appear to cause it, and now, with music on the phone while plugged in triggers it in about one minute.

Should I now consider it defective or am I missing something?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you're on the Production version of Windows 10 and the problem exists without an SD card inserted, then I would certainly raise this as a warranty issue and see repair/replacement.

WayCool

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
How about looking in the Batter Saver app and see what is using all the power ? I think there is a good list of items that can cause additional battery usage.. like Feedback and Diagnostics and Lumia Motion Data . The battery saver app should list the abuser... oh Microsoft Health running in background can be a culprit as well.

Or just go get an iPhone. nothing wrong with that though just may be a different set of issues... I'm fairly certain no phone or software is perfect ;) but it may suit you better for your needs.

obakir

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I'd like to read my company email with my windows phone but IT is telling me: "windows phones does not fulfill our security compliance and requirements." I mean come on!! Windows phones are not even business compliant? Isn't that supposed to be their selling point??

I don't believe these are technical problems that microsoft cannot fix. I'm pretty sure they have the talent. Whatever management/marketing teams they have is the one lacking vision and wisdom. I'm not sure upper level management has a clue either, as they use iphones in their personal vacations.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I find that statement somewhat surprising. Windows Phone is very compliant with corporate IT policies. Without knowing what the exact issue is, it's hard to say anything. The other side of the story is that Windows Phone isn't that tolerant of mis-configured policies (it'll respect and reject security issues that Apple/Android devices will simply ignore).

biltaji

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
To be honest I never faced the memory card issue. But I do face battery issues and the phone temperature. The glass gets warm and the back upper part. Once I put my phone down for two minutes the temperature drops. Again android phone heat up as well. It's not a deal breaker..

fulnix

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear you're having problems.

I try android every two years or so. It always goes the same. I get the device, it works well for about 6 months and then becomes laggy slow and useless.

When I'm in a meeting I need immediate access to OneNote and my files in OneDrive. This is where my 950 and 950xl excel. They destroy every android device I've ever used.

I'll be honest the Facebook app is horrible. I'm not sure why they overheat when running multiple tabs in Edge. Overall this phone is excellent for my specific needs. And the camera is purely awesome.

If your looking for a social media device that can make phone calls, look to android and apple. If your looking for a business powerhouse these are the only phones that are beginning to make the leap that my BB8700G made in 2006.

WM10 is far from perfect and I hope many of the little issues are solved in the very near future. It is far from the confident failure Android has been for me.

WayCool

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to read my company email with my windows phone but IT is telling me: "windows phones does not fulfill our security compliance and requirements." I mean come on!! Windows phones are not even business compliant? Isn't that supposed to be their selling point??

You might check with your Administrator to determine what MDM they are using and also what setting is causing the compliance issue. You are however correct that MS can and likely will resolve these issues unfortunately some MDM's require an "Agent" (app) and well.. there's the app gap again.. Anyway if your company is using EAS policies or Intune/EMS then these will likely get fixed in future builds..

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
To the OP, I would guess you have two separate issues here, a potentially duff SD card (Although your format may have sorted that) and the battery issue, I have a 1520 so no direct experience with a 950 (Thinking of buying one to tide me over till the HP comes out and then give to wife).

Overheating tends to happen when the phone is "Busy" doing stuff in the background, I know this was the case on my Surface Pro 3 and my 1520, the Surface was cured by a simple settings change that stopped an MS process, the 1520 was sorted by going into the settings, battery saver and studying what was using the battery and the processor as well (The processor running at full blast is highly likely the source of the heat), in my case I found that MS Health was going into overdrive, using up to 50% of the battery (And I guess processor power to use up the battery), I disabled running in background for that app and my phone went back to normal.

Normal for me is still a knackered battery but then the phone is nearly 2 and a 1/2 years old and why I am considering the 950.

quotethepigeon

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
OK moaning about bugs aside how is the 950!? I currently have a 930 and a huawei p9 android.... the android isn't really for me... nice having all the extra apps n stuff but all of what I use can be done on browser anyway.

Main points I'm interested in are the loudspeaker. Clear ,loud? And battery life running standard on no inside builds what life should I expect from the battery?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)