Lumia 950 problems seem to go on forever

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
OK moaning about bugs aside how is the 950!? I currently have a 930 and a huawei p9 android.... the android isn't really for me... nice having all the extra apps n stuff but all of what I use can be done on browser anyway.

Main points I'm interested in are the loudspeaker. Clear ,loud? And battery life running standard on no inside builds what life should I expect from the battery?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

I just recently got a 950 and love it. I like W10M, battery life lasts me through the day (use is for both work and personal), and I generally have all the apps I need/use.

Br1an_g

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I have found my SD card doesn't like the overheating of the handset. The card is fine but when the handset gets hot it starts playing up. Im fed up having to hard reset my phone to get it to carry out fundamental features Like receive amd install an os update! Been trying to get the most recent one for over a week and had an unuseable phone in that time between overheating and battery life! Its great apart from that which is disappointing.

nizam ak

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
is it just me or the latest built .318 had gone couple of steps back

touch response on live tile
laggy
also tends to hang(even whatsapp)
batt life

the conspiracy theorist in me tells that its being set up for the big bang anniversary update

Br1an_g

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
is it just me or the latest built .318 had gone couple of steps back

touch response on live tile
laggy
also tends to hang(even whatsapp)
batt life

the conspiracy theorist in me tells that its being set up for the big bang anniversary update

If I ever get it to download I will let you know. 😂🙈

asylumxl

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Having been a long-time user of a 1520 I was very excited when the 950XL was released, as I felt it was a worhty upgrade from my 1520. Having bought devices on release before I resisted rushing out to buy it in order to avoid early bugs and boy am I glad I did. They've been out for a while now and it seems little has changed.

While I absolutely adore Windows Phone, in all honesty the 950/950XL are mutton dressed as lamb. Personally if I was OP I'd try a replacement handset or just plain return it.

Windows 10 Mobile may be a step forward feature wise but the interface and performance have taken several steps back. Microsoft had won awards in the past for the design of WP and instead of sticking with their own design language, decided to copy Android/iOS in the name of familiarity.

It also feels as if a lot of Windows Central members have their fingers in their ears over issues with these handsets and on Microsoft's commitment to the platform. Yes, these handsets were created for die-hard WP fans, but only in order to cash in before they put it on a back burner.

RWD

May 27, 2014
Visit site
Having been a long-time user of a 1520 I was very excited when the 950XL was released, as I felt it was a worhty upgrade from my 1520. Having bought devices on release before I resisted rushing out to buy it in order to avoid early bugs and boy am I glad I did. They've been out for a while now and it seems little has changed.

While I absolutely adore Windows Phone, in all honesty the 950/950XL are mutton dressed as lamb. Personally if I was OP I'd try a replacement handset or just plain return it.

I too have been more than satisfied with my 1520 and if the battery wasn't beginning to go I would not have bothered with the 950. My experience so far is that I wish I had invested in a new battery and the kit you need to replace the 1520 battery. Despite the phone being out for a while the 950 is buggy and unreliable. Sorely disappointed. I did learn here about the SD card issue though so will try a new one. I just brought the old one over from my 1520.

blackburberry

Jan 28, 2016
Visit site
OK moaning about bugs aside how is the 950!? I currently have a 930 and a huawei p9 android.... the android isn't really for me... nice having all the extra apps n stuff but all of what I use can be done on browser anyway.

Main points I'm interested in are the loudspeaker. Clear ,loud? And battery life running standard on no inside builds what life should I expect from the battery?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

DS950 here running .318.
I like it. Great battery life, no overheating, and speaker call / notifications are loud.I don't have any of the issues mentioned here except unpolished software in some areas.
In my case learning a new OS fixed a lot of "issues" but in your case you already use a WP.

Last edited:

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Get th s7, it's not even a question. The 950 only matches it in camera, but the windows store is a barren wasteland, android and iOS get all the new apps to play with, like the new social networking site Peach. Windows phones are for Microsoft enthusiasts, and most of them are ok with th shortcomings of the device. Once you use a high quality android or iPhone, you see what you've been missing.

I dont know how i feel about supporting a company that first nudged Java out of the mobile business and then doesn't support competing platform except iOS.

But to OP, try turning off some applications in the background, that helped the 'heating up while using' a lot for me.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
For the last week, my 950XL had been burning up. These builds definitely degrade over time. MS has the B Team on Mobile nowadays...wish I could get $650 refund for this #forgottenflagship

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Guys, try clearing cache and other things in Edge if you experience slowness in Edge (--> high CPU --> heating up the phone ) and any app that might depend on Edge's rendering engine. I think there may be a nasty bug or two with Edge that's responsible for a lot of people's complaint.

Hoku001

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 950 never ending problems - Anybody care to add to this?

Here's my quick list of issues:

1) Random restarts - the phone will sometimes reboot for no apparent reason. It used to happen frequently when going from the camera to the camera roll, but this seems to have stopped after some of the more recent updates. Now the reboots are really random and less frequent.

2) Drops cellular connection. I can be stationary at home all day only to find that I have no connection to AT&T - no texts or phone calls, but Wifi still on. Happens a few times a month and at very random times. I should mention that I work from my home, it's not like I'm moving around when this happens. If I switch airplane mode on/off the phone will reconnect to the AT&T network.

3) Screen doesn't respond to touch. This only happens sometimes when I try to answer a phone call. It's like the phone doesn't know the screen is on. Many times I miss the call because the screen doesn't respond to finger input. Again, only happens sometimes.

4) Call quality. People often complain that they can't hear me, like my voice is cutting in and out. I can be stationary and this still happens. Not all the time, but frequently.

5) Call quality 2. People have complained about a mean echo when speaking to me. I found that I can mostly stop this by turning off the "hey cortana" feature. However, this still happens sometimes even though "hey cortana" is turned off. I found that muting the call and quickly un muting it...will fix this. This doesn't happen as often as it used to.

6) Runs hot. Rapid battery drain sitting on my desk. I usually try to charge my phone at the end of my work day to make it through the night. Everyday.

7) Save a phone number from an email or text to a NEW contact in your People app - takes a really long time, so long that it seems like it's not going to work.

8) Cortana/Bing/Edge image search doesn't work. Not sure where the fault is here; but if I call up Cortana and do a search for "beach pictures", it pulls up Edge and does a Bing search. If I click on the "images" tab, i see thumbnails of "beach pictures", but I I try to tap on one of those images, it tries to pull it up full screen, but the image will never come up. If I hit the back key, I can't go back. The only thing I can do is long press the back key and close Edge...and then start over. This happens every time.

9) I have two account in use with my 950, my MS Account of course, and a Gmail account. I have contacts (People) pulling from both accounts. When I get phone calls or text messages, some phone numbers don't pull up associated account names. When my friend calls me from her cell phone, I see her name and image when she calls. But when she calls from her home phone, I only see the phone number and not her name. Both phone numbers are stored in the same contact card. This doesn't happen for every person and every phone number...but I've not done systematic testing. I have a life. And this problem is mostly coming (but not exclusively) from the MS account stored contacts. So in other words, the Google account contacts actually work better.

10) I have a MS Band 2. Windows 10 mobile and the Band just don't work well together. Cortana doesn't work from my Band with the 950 (but it worked perfectly well from my 1020/WP8), and the keyboard on the Band won't work either. (It says it can't connect).

11) Bluetooth connection to my car. With my 1020, my car would read text messages to me and voice prompt me to reply. It worked all the time. With my 950, this feature is hit or miss. Sometimes it will read the text, sometimes it won't. Sometimes it prompts me to reply...sometimes it doesn't. If it does prompt me for a voice reply, sometimes it work, sometimes it doesn't. It's the same with my bluetooth headphones, so it's not just a problem with my car.

In the smartphone era, I've had Windows Mobile, Androids, Blackberry, before switching WP7 with the Focus, Lumia 900, 920, 1020 and 950. (BTW my 950 is an AT&T, non insider phone) The 950 is a cell phone. It should work as a phone. In this regard, issues 1-5 are enough to give up on the 950 as I've never had these types of problems before with ANY phone I've ever owned. The rest of the list contains other bugs or very specific issues; and I'm sure if I sat here longer I could come up with more problems with the 950/Windows 10. I've considered going back to my 1020 but I think I might just as well throw in the towel and go back to Android for good. I used to really like Windows Phone - back in the day I got a lot of friends and family to switch over, but the 950 has killed my affection for the platform.

I'm really curious, how long are you guys going to stick with Windows phones? For those that have jumped, which Android handset looks like a winner? (no Apple products for me...ever. Just my thing).

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: Lumia 950 never ending problems - Anybody care to add to this?

Someone will jump in to tell you do a hard reset.😭 it's a feature of W10M.😁

obakir

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
You might check with your Administrator to determine what MDM they are using and also what setting is causing the compliance issue. You are however correct that MS can and likely will resolve these issues unfortunately some MDM's require an "Agent" (app) and well.. there's the app gap again.. Anyway if your company is using EAS policies or Intune/EMS then these will likely get fixed in future builds..

actually the app they are using is AirWaves which has a windows app. If I had a clue about what's wrong I would use it as leverage when dealing with IT. When I told them that the app is there, and asked what's missing for the windows phone, that's the answer they gave me.

jrb363

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if the 950 actually has more problems than the XL version (maybe it's sold more due to being on AT&T?) but dang, it does seem to have the majority of the issues. Makes me glad I spent a bit more and went with the 950XL which has been perfect for just over a month now.

nmco9

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Re: Lumia 950 never ending problems - Anybody care to add to this?

For those that have jumped, which Android handset looks like a winner? (no Apple products for me...ever. Just my thing).
Most of your complaints seem more to be in the vein of "this is a basic function of a smartphone that should just work, but doesn't." That being said, an iPhone would relieve you from all of these issues and also allow you break into a great app ecosystem and you could still continue to use Microsoft services if that's important to you.

But if your aversion is really that strong, the Nexus lines, Galaxy S7 and Note 5 would all be clear upgrades compared to what you have. Choice dependent on whether having quick updates/a lightly skinned OS is more important or having the best screen/camera.

NPGMBR

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Guess I've been lucky. Have not had any overheating issues with my 950. My issues have been primarily related to WM10 which is very much still a BETA product but luckily Microsoft is pushing out updates at a good clip so my disappointment in the device is slowly turning into satisfaction.

obakir

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Guess I've been lucky. Have not had any overheating issues with my 950. My issues have been primarily related to WM10 which is very much still a BETA product but luckily Microsoft is pushing out updates at a good clip so my disappointment in the device is slowly turning into satisfaction.

just out of curiosity. How many email/calendar accounts do you have. And do you have the Facebook app?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb