Lumia 950 XL - Front Facing Camera not working - 14376

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I am facing still the issue that the front facing camera on my Lumia 950 XL is not working, same counts for Iris recognition. Any idea what I can do? I got the phone two weeks back, before jumping on insider the camera worked.
Overall the build runs very smoothly on my device, battery is performing great.

Thanks a lot

Michael D.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I am facing still the issue that the front facing camera on my Lumia 950 XL is not working, same counts for Iris recognition. Any idea what I can do? I got the phone two weeks back, before jumping on insider the camera worked.
Overall the build runs very smoothly on my device, battery is performing great.

Thanks a lot

Michael D.

try a a different app to check if it can open the front camera - maybe it's just a particular app that has the issue

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I have joined the page now and I opened the topic also on:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mobiledevices/forum/mdlumia-mdcamera/lumia-950-xl-front-facing-camera-not-working-iris/e2698c9a-02ec-48ba-803c-b2b5b93e6057
Lumia Selfie also doesn't work, no camera response, similar for Blink

What can I do?:cry:

Thanks

Michael

if different apps cannot access the front camera, it seems to be pointing to a hardware issue. However, you said you're on insider builds?

Check under settings > privacy > camera - can the apps access camera?

Try the new 14379 build -if it has no difference, use windows device recovery tool to check for firmware updates

If that yields no results - do a factory reset.

If that fails, then you'll need to go back to a stable build using windows device recovery tool.

Final failure : get it repaired under warranty or replaced

pjfrm

Jul 29, 2016
Visit site
Same problem here with latest Insider build. It worked fine until last night. Can't use flashlight; the phone automatically reboots. I tried everything: soft and hard reset, hard reset with buttons and WDRT, but the issue is still there.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Same problem here with latest Insider build. It worked fine until last night. Can't use flashlight; the phone automatically reboots. I tried everything: soft and hard reset, hard reset with buttons and WDRT, but the issue is still there.

you used wdrt and went back to official release and you still don't have flashlight working? What else is not working?

KickAssLumia

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
FWIW, I have had this problem on last several builds on my 950XL. I installed a brand new replacement front camera module including IRIS scanner and still the same error. So it looks like for people facing this issue, the problem is in the main logic board and not the camera module itself. So if you're thinking of trying a replacement module, don't!

Steven Jepson

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Same problem here. After an update, the front camera stopped working (error code 0xA00F4271(0xC00D3704); on Skype, "Your webcam is currently being used by another application"). Soft reset, used WDRT, updated the app. Finally had the chance to take it to a Microsoft Store where the also did that, and finally did a factory reset. Still doesn't work.

Great phone, but this is an annoyance. It doesn't allow me to do any Skype work, which is a pain since this is a productivity phone. MS's third party buyback program offered $49 for the phone - I'll keep it and deal.

randyoaks187

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
Same problem here. After an update, the front camera stopped working (error code 0xA00F4271(0xC00D3704); on Skype, "Your webcam is currently being used by another application"). Soft reset, used WDRT, updated the app. Finally had the chance to take it to a Microsoft Store where the also did that, and finally did a factory reset. Still doesn't work.

Great phone, but this is an annoyance. It doesn't allow me to do any Skype work, which is a pain since this is a productivity phone. MS's third party buyback program offered $49 for the phone - I'll keep it and deal.

I i had this problem (L950) and tried turning off the access to the camera by skype in the privacy settings and then turning it back on. That seemed to work. I will try a few more times this weekend and post the results.

satyamgr8

Nov 19, 2017
Visit site
I also face the same problem after upgrading to fall creators update, the screen turns off as i make a call and i need to turn it on by pressing the lock key and then once the screen is lit up it doesnt turns off again here its tge problem of sensors and even i changed the sensor and front camera so i think the problem is in the update

calvin576

Jan 24, 2018
Visit site
I just replace my LUMIA 950 Front facing camera I get it from the below listing the hardest part is the wait for shipping from China takes almost 3 weeks .....But now my camera works like a charm I buy 2 of them cost me less that $25 including shipping (1-24-18) hope no more crappy updates from Microsoft. :smile::smile::smile:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...68&mpre=https://www.ebay.com/itm/232395959912

WillBthr

May 8, 2015
Visit site
I resolved this issue on a 950XL by doing the following:

Note-If camera app (post error) opens to the front facing (FF) camera with error message then turn the phone off and remove and replace battery.

Also, it seems like the problem has something to do with it being stuck in horizontal mode because the error message appears in horizontal mode. ??

I switch on the Apps can use the camera main button and I allowed Edge and Skype to use it.
Iris scanner OFF.

1. I turned on camera and it opens in default rear camera mode.
2. READ STEP 3 FIRST.....Click the on screen button to switch to FF camera.
3. The split second BEFORE the error message could appear I was able to hit that same on screen camera switch button again.
4. Success....for a while....then back to error message...

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss