Lumia 950

anon(9603734)

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
I really like my 950. I do find though that often, after about a week, it gets a bit less responsive and begins to stutter a bit. But a simple power off and on again of the device clears that up.

I've not had to hard reset, even on a Fast Ring build, for quite some time - in fact I can't remember the last time I did so! (I hope this doesn't jinx it!)

Since a Fast Ring build around March/April 2017 I've not been plagued with random reboots; the device has stayed on 24/7 unless I've intentionally powered it off.

The simple everyday things just work. My alarm always goes off without fail, Quiet Hours always comes on at its scheduled time (and doesn't allow anyone other than those on the break-through list to get through), Cortana reminders (whether they're people, location or time based) have never failed me, the live tiles update (I have most on the smallest size, so I really only get the badge numbers, but that's all I need - if the Windows Central app doesn't have a number on the tile for example, I know there's no new article and so no need to go into the app), new photos automatically upload to OneDrive and the display auto-brightness adjusts as necessary are just some examples.

Sure, it's not perfect and some things could be better, such as:

1. Battery life (I think this is more to do with the SD808 though);
2. Photos take a while to save sometimes, even with HDR off;
3. Edge favourites/reading list sync speed between the 950 and Surface Pro 4 <insert any other PC here too I guess> needs to be improved; and
4. Custom text message tones. This one has been an issue since before W10M was publicly released. In People app I have set custom text message tones for a small number of contacts. In Settings > System > Notifications & actions > Messaging, I changed the notification sound from 'default' to a different tone for text messages from other people. When one of my contacts I had assigned a text message tone to sent me an SMS the notification tone the phone used was the tone I had set under Settings, rather than the text tone assigned to the contact. Changing the tone under the Settings back to 'default', text messages come through using the notification tone I have assigned to the contact in the People app. (I am using the inbox Messaging app for SMS.)

In a nutshell, my 950 (and W10M) does what I need a phone to do and does it well for the most part. For me, any bugs I've encountered are minor. I'm fully satisfied.

Sent from mTalk

anon(9603734)

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
My biggest issue is NO wi-fi calling even though specs indicate the capability. I've tried three different carriers on my unbranded 950xl (bought at a Microsoft store) ... no joy.

I believe that the carrier also needs to support/offer WiFi calling. I'm on EE in the UK, and WiFi calling is included within my tariff.

Because my mobile reception at home is not the greatest, I have the setting set to "WiFi Preferred" and every phone call I have at home is through WiFi calling.

Sent from mTalk

brondanino

May 11, 2014
Visit site
I just bought my third 950 XL because mine has the main camera hardware broken, sand into the focusing gear, and can't take picture with it. I purchased it in October 2015 soon after it was announced.
I normally work with 3 smartphones at the same time. One EliteX3, the 950XL and an iPhone6.
When my 950XL broke I tried to replace it with Android (S7, BB Keyone, OnePlus 3T). I simply can't stand with Android. It doesn't fit my using style.
I just feel at home with Win 10 Mobile more than anything else, and I'm now thinking to buy one more 950XL as backup for the next two years or so.

Hooman Purkhosrow

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
Dear friends,

I've got my Lumia 950xl a year ago and it might be helpful to share my experiences. Although, there are some differences in 950 and 950xl hardware, I believe we are mostly suffering from software deficiencies.

The device was slow and it had to think a lot to open an application. It was also very hot and restarted suddenly. I was completely disappointed.
Then I did a hard reset and installed the last version of windows phone 10 by my laptop. It is 3 to 4 gigabytes available in Microsoft website. By changing the windows many problems solved but it sometimes woke up abit late and restarted again.
After a few months I installed insider app and joined to insiders, Amazingly all problems solved and my Lumia has been working smooth, fast, without any heat and crash.
However being insider means alot of update and it might be annoying, I'm really interested to get new updates and use new features. It is also possible to set update time to quiet hours.
I strongly suggest everyone to download and install the last version of Windows Phone 10,aaa then join insiders. Surely you will experience less problems than now.

Last edited:

Mister Burns

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I'm just done with the phone. As much as i like the ui, the usability issues just gets in the way of business for me. Missing like calls, texts, long loading times for messages in Skype uwp...i just don't have patience anymore for it

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
I strongly suggest everyone to download and install the last version of Windows Phone 10,aaa then join insiders. Surely you will experience less problems than now.

Glad the results were in your favour, but not so sure everyone who joins the insider program will have the same experience. In my opinion, WM/WP still holds the crown for inconsistency across same/similar devices and in all likelihood, will be amplified for some by going insider.

noirsoft

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I was having a lot of random hangs and crashes (camera was particularly crash-prone, as were alarms going off and getting text messages) but a new battery solved all of my problems. Taking a picture, activating sound, getting a call, these things can cause a spike in the amount of power used, and if your battery is failing, can cause it to crash, shut off, and other problems. Definitely look into a new battery. For $35.00 US, my 950 feels like new again.

dagncl

Aug 5, 2017
Visit site
I was getting a lot of the same issues, Bluetooth flicking on and off, camera crashing, hot and running battery down.

Following advice here,I got a new battery. First replacement battery was dodgy so got another one yesterday, I'll see how that goes.

Signed up to insider on slow ring, and over the last week battery has been much better and camera hasn't crashed, so I'm slowly getting faith back in my phone. Bluetooth has been ok.

I have been very much thinking of switching to android due to the troubles, but if it behaves I'll be staying.

Andy Poulton

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
MMMM The 950 eh.
What a great deal I had on it. 12 Months ago.

Oh what fun.
What OS bug will it have today/this week/tomorrow/on holiday.
It has been back to BX2 twice.
So many hard and soft resets.
Every time I ask Support it is a hard reset.
Every time they update it There is a new problem.
[I never know now I just see it is odd the next morning and check the OS version.]

The tiles would not update. I contacted Support [BX2]
Spent 12 minutes trying to explain what a Tile was on the screen. She did not even own a W10 phone or could understand it [WOT? !!!]
Then as usual " You have to do a hard reset"

I hope I drop it soon and buy an Android top end Samsung job. My wife is so fed up with me shouting at it.
Cheers Andrew.

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
MMMM The 950 eh.
What a great deal I had on it. 12 Months ago.

Oh what fun.
What OS bug will it have today/this week/tomorrow/on holiday.
It has been back to BX2 twice.
So many hard and soft resets.
Every time I ask Support it is a hard reset.
Every time they update it There is a new problem.
[I never know now I just see it is odd the next morning and check the OS version.]

The tiles would not update. I contacted Support [BX2]
Spent 12 minutes trying to explain what a Tile was on the screen. She did not even own a W10 phone or could understand it [WOT? !!!]
Then as usual " You have to do a hard reset"

I hope I drop it soon and buy an Android top end Samsung job. My wife is so fed up with me shouting at it.
Cheers Andrew.

If you hate it so much.. just take it to a local store and trade it in.. you may only get £50 / $50 for it then just put that cash towards a new Android phone... and be prepared for Ads gallore, poor release of updates/firmware, rubbish memory management, battery draining and inconsistent camera focusing issues on your new Android..

WP10M is very much alive and loved by many, tis a great platform.. but you gotta go where you heart lies

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
If you hate it so much.. just take it to a local store and trade it in.. you may only get £50 / $50 for it then just put that cash towards a new Android phone... and be prepared for Ads gallore, poor release of updates/firmware, rubbish memory management, battery draining and inconsistent camera focusing issues on your new Android..

WP10M is very much alive and loved by many, tis a great platform.. but you gotta go where you heart lies

Sorry but I think you went a little overboard with your Android rant. I own both Android and Windows phones (multiples) using both for several years now. As with anything none are perfect yet Droid isn't as bad as you make it out to be nor is Windows Phone the perfected platform as you so proclaim... Maybe the later is to you but rest assured it won't be for MANY, not in its present state.

Ads - Don't recall seeing such on either platform in the past three years, unless were talking within apps which is a simple fix for both, purchase them (if necessary).

Poor release of updates/firmware - Agree to a point. Although some of my Droids are outdated they still function today as they did the day we purchased them, and still run apps that my new Droids do as well. On Windows Phone updates are a pain and from my experience, they rarely fix those ailments we encounter regularly.

Rubbish memory management - Not gonna lie and say it is the best yet when I got like 10X more stuff going on my Droids than w/Windows Phone can't say we've had any issues at all.

Battery draining - My latest Droid can go 3-4 days (14-16 hrs ea) w/o out a recharge, can't say any of my Windows Phones even came close to that.

Camera focusing issues - Not sure what hat you pulled this out from because going by my experience either platform has been decent for the most part with only a few exceptions.

Last edited:

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

Exaggerate much?
At least be honest, Android isn’t that bad, millions upon millions of people seem to be enjoying it.

ManofGod1000

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site

I do or at least did love Windows 10 Mobile and the Windows Phone platform. Unfortunately, things like bluetooth connections issues with my car and the newest refurb 950 I have has put a slight dent in my enthusiasm. The phone works great, camera is great, Truecaller works really well with it but, the platform is starting to show cracks. :(

I also have a Alcatel Idol 4s that I bought for $99 and it is a good phone. Bluetooth works well with the car and the phone is generally quick. However, some of the apps crash on first start when compared to the 950.

ManofGod1000

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
Exaggerate much?
At least be honest, Android isn’t that bad, millions upon millions of people seem to be enjoying it.

Honestly, most people who use an Android phone do not even know it has Android on it. As long as what they want to do with it works and works quickly, they usually do not care one way or the other. The fact is, most do not enjoy using Android as much as they simply enjoy being able to do what they want and that is good enough for them.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Honestly, most people who use an Android phone do not even know it has Android on it. As long as what they want to do with it works and works quickly, they usually do not care one way or the other. The fact is, most do not enjoy using Android as much as they simply enjoy being able to do what they want and that is good enough for them.

Not so sure you assumptions of "most" is correct, and believe those people you are categorizing would have the same mentality towards iPhone or Windows Phone. Essentially they are using a smartphone for reasons only known to them yet would prefer to do without.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

I’m not sure how you’ve come to this conclusion since hundreds of millions of people use Android. Not saying you’re wrong but I doubt you have proof you are right either.

ManofGod1000

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by Elky64
Originally Posted by ManofGod1000

Not so sure you assumptions of "most" is correct, and believe those people you are categorizing would have the same mentality towards iPhone or Windows Phone. Essentially they are using a smartphone for reasons only known to them yet would prefer to do without.

What you said at the end makes no sense. Also, go ahead, as what phone OS Androids users are and most will not even know they are using Android.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
What you said at the end makes no sense. Also, go ahead, as what phone OS Androids users are and most will not even know they are using Android.

Why doesn't it makes sense? You don't think there are people out there who despise technology such as smartphones, computers yet feel coerced to jump onboard. I know many people on this level, family members hounded them long enough that they caved, work said it's a prerequisite they carry a smartphone, they keep being told "you should really have one when you travel". These people are the ones who would rather NOT have a smartphone except for whatever reason they ended up with one. So they'd be the ones I'd be more inclined to think wouldn't know what they are using and even then that's stretching it.

Maybe you're meaning "OS version" which then I'd wholeheartedly agree with.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb