Lumia Camera, classic for which device?

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi!
I thought Lumia Camera CLASSIC is for pureview devices. Sometimes people tell me i?m wrong. Now i?m confused...
For me "Classic" sounds cheap, so classic would make more sense for lower spec devices...
So whats right, whats wrong?

Thanks!

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi Chris,

Before, we had Nokia Camera Beta, and Nokia Camera. Now beta has been closed. Microsoft have replaced Nokia Camera by lumia Camera, and the Beta by Classic (in terms of GUID).

now to answer your question:
A) Devices which will receive Lumia camera v5 have Classic, which will be the latest of the 4.9 branch. A kind of fallback if you prefer. When Lumia Camera is updated to v5 (like it happened lately in France for the 830) these people have 2 UI, the old one (Nokia Camera like) and the new one
B) But for older devices, Classic doesn't exist, as Lumia Camera on these devices will be restricted to the 4.9 branch.

That is why on my 1020, Beta hasn't be updated to Classic (but removed from store). On older devices, it wouldn't make sense to have twice a 4.9 version, this would be redundant.

They are redundant as well on the 930, 1520 and 830 now, but soon when Lumia camera v5 is released for these devices, the existence of two Lumia Cameras will be totally justified.

I hope it's clearer now ;)

PS. The latest WC article on the Lumia camera update (4.9.2.1 IIRC) is wrong about what is classic and not classic and despite my correcting in comments, they don't feel like correcting their article. So be it.

BatteryLife

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Ok thank you.

So, Classic = PureView.

Lets see if other people complain ;)

I don't see how the explanation above point to this conclusion. But Lumia Camera Classic is only for NL830, NL930 and NL1520 for the time being.

PureView covers a large array of devices you know, including the NL1020, NL920, and PV808.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Ok thank you.

So, Classic = PureView.

Lets see if other people complain ;)

No, my 1020 is Preview and has not received Classic.

To put it in a nutshell, classic = 4.9 branch, not classic = 5.0. With the subtlety that so far, 5.0 is not really released, so not classic is temporarily on 4.9 branch

The real border is not pureview or not, but the devices which will upgrade to Lumia camera v5 or not.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
so you are telling me older phones aren't getting the new lumia camera which finally fixes the sluggish performance? oh these nokia/Microsoft guys again...

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
so you are telling me older phones aren't getting the new lumia camera which finally fixes the sluggish performance? oh these nokia/Microsoft guys again...

how should i know that? But there are two apps, there must be a reason, right?
My guess is that Speed improvements come to all devices, but new features just to the newer highend generation.

Its just confusion to see some people saying CLASSIC is for 8xx,9xx,15xx, and some say NON-CLASSIC is the one.

But i just tried something: When i search in the store, i cant find the LUMIA CAMERA (non classic) !

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
as far as I know, classic is for devices that don't have the normal app, like 720 which was only able to use it through the "beta" version

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Install both; links are in this article Nokia Camera returns to the store, rebranded as Lumia Camera | Windows Central

If you haven't received the Denim update, both are similar so far. But it will allow you to get the v5 as soon as it's available on your device

Thank you. I am so stupid. Seems like i cant read :)

"...Classic is targeted for hardware without the Denim firmware update.."

Thanks, "problem" solved ^^

The only thing now is: I can not install the normal Lumia Camera, its not available.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Yes but WC keep on saying ""...Classic is targeted for hardware without the Denim firmware update.." which is wrong, as I told you before. I don't have Denim on my 1020 but will never have Classic. You have Denim and you can get Classic o_O

The normal LC being removed or invisible for you may be the sign of imminent FW rollout + v5 available for your 830. Fingers crossed! ^_^

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Yes but WC keep on saying ""...Classic is targeted for hardware without the Denim firmware update.." which is wrong, as I told you before. I don't have Denim on my 1020 but will never have Classic. You have Denim and you can get Classic o_O

The normal LC being removed or invisible for you may be the sign of imminent FW rollout + v5 available for your 830. Fingers crossed! ^_^

This is my experience. On my L830 which has Denim, I have the Lumia Camera Classic but not Lumia Camera. I had Nokia Camera, which I uninstalled after I downloaded Classic (4.9xxx version)

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi Chris,

Before, we had Nokia Camera Beta, and Nokia Camera. Now beta has been closed. Microsoft have replaced Nokia Camera by lumia Camera, and the Beta by Classic (in terms of GUID).

now to answer your question:
A) Devices which will receive Lumia camera v5 have Classic, which will be the latest of the 4.9 branch. A kind of fallback if you prefer. When Lumia Camera is updated to v5 (like it happened lately in France for the 830) these people have 2 UI, the old one (Nokia Camera like) and the new one
B) But for older devices, Classic doesn't exist, as Lumia Camera on these devices will be restricted to the 4.9 branch.

That is why on my 1020, Beta hasn't be updated to Classic (but removed from store). On older devices, it wouldn't make sense to have twice a 4.9 version, this would be redundant.

They are redundant as well on the 930, 1520 and 830 now, but soon when Lumia camera v5 is released for these devices, the existence of two Lumia Cameras will be totally justified.

I hope it's clearer now ;)

PS. The latest WC article on the Lumia camera update (4.9.2.1 IIRC) is wrong about what is classic and not classic and despite my correcting in comments, they don't feel like correcting their article. So be it.

that's actually wrong, as all devices will get a Lumia camera app v5, high end devices will be able to take 4k moments, others will be able to take HD moments.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss