Lumia Icon Screen Protectors

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
And I ended up jumping on this bad boy for my case. Just ordered it a second ago.

51WL36%2BqTdL.jpg

Amazon.com: Minisuit Rugged Hybrid Kickstand Case for Nokia Lumia 929 (Icon, for Verizon): Cell Phones & Accessories

Seems durable, protective, and most of all cheap! Will let you guys know how it goes!

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I am totally off of using screen protectors. I used a protector for the entire period of time I had my OG Focus. I started with whatever the at&t store had on stock, and I wore it for several months. I eventually got a Zagg Invisible Shield for it. That was used on my screen for at least six months, until about a month before I was ready to upgrade the phone (I was waiting for the 920 to launch). It was unbelievable to peel the protector off the screen. Even with keeping it clean, so much grime and gunk accumulated on the screen protector that the bright, vivid OLED screen had appeared washed out and blurry. The change was so gradual over time that I hadn't noticed until that screen protector was peeled off. I carried the Focus for at least a month screen protector free, and didn't get any serious scratches or anything.

So, when I bought my 920, I carried it as is. No case, no screen protector. It is well worth it. I may have one or two little scratches on the screen, but to me, that is far superior to a grimy screen protector making the beautiful display on new phones look crummy.

pci2k

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I got an email back from Ghost Armor, when I asked them about screen protection support on the Icon. An excerpt is below:

"Thank you for contacting Ghost Armor. I have spoken to our designer who says she is waiting to receive the phone to design the Armor. The Armor for the Nokia Lumia Icon should be released in the next couple of weeks."

flackberry

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm using a Verizon wireless one I ordered from their site. It actually applied much better than other ones I've had from them, however it kind of has a tacky feel to it. Hard to explain - just not as slippery as past ones.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

TheArcaneFlame

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
If you do decided to get a screen protector for your Icon, just make sure that you get the flexible "skin" style ones. If it is even semi-rigid it will not adhere to the curved glass of the screen.

The skin style protectors are a bit more difficult to apply but once you get them on, they will stay on. I always used the steamy bathroom technique when applying them in the past... basically turn on a hot shower for a bit and let it get the bathroom all steamy. Then do the application of the skin in there after washing your hands thoroughly. Doing so cuts down on the likelihood of getting dust or oils under the screen protector and makes installation a bit easier. This method always produced much better results for me than trying to apply them in standard room conditions.

Fear the Cubans

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I originally bought the Verizon ones...and it lasted 5 minutes. Way too sticky.
Have been without one since...and I'm always good with my phone. Except yesterday I was outside, and the phone slipped out of my hand, and face down into pebbles. I can assure you, the glass does scratch. I have multiple nicks and scratches on my screen :(
Would love to see a tempered glass option. Verizon carries them for the iPhone 5, GS4, and Note 3. They are incredible. I would imagine the curved glass would make that not possible though.
I'll try to check out the Skinobi option.

Astropin

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I've decided to go without a screen protector on this one. I've always had them in the past....but I'm also pretty easy on my phones.

Biggest thing to avoid will be sand.....other than that I should be good.

Paulo1300

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I bought the empire screen protector off amazon, and I don't think they accounted for the curved glass. The sides of the screen protector do not touch the phone leaving a large bubble on each end. So I don't recommend the empire screen protectors (I got 5 for 1.50 so I'm not too sad about it). Does the skinomi fit well?

THE_Lawnboy

May 8, 2013
Visit site
No they are not necessary at all. In fact, they detract from the experience of using the phone. My teenage daughter has an iPhone 5c that she has had since Christmas. I noticed the other night it is already covered with hairline scratches. My Lumia 920 which I have had for well over a year now, has no scratches at all. Not sure what my daughter is doing with her phone, but normal use and carry in a pocket seems to have NO impact on Lumias at all. I am sure the Gorilla Glass 3 is even more durable.

anon(7923621)

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I use a Lumia 822 with Gorilla Glass 2. I originally had a Verizon brand screen protector, but it was so terrible I removed it. No scratches ever since.

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I3TT6I...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU2383775
Those. I have em on my 920, and they cover just the flat portion so you don't get that ugly lift on the sides from the curved screen. Comes with 4 total, 2 matte and 2 glossy. Not to mention the price is like 5$ with shipping, makes them very disposable. That said the only time I've disposed them is because I got tired of glossy and wanted matte, which has only been once.
I've tried wet mount, while its nice to know your entire glass is protected, I hated the feel, it is gummy but smooth. You can dig your nail into it and it'll dent it, but it'll heal, like to 90-95% its appearance prior. They're rather easy to apply, but for $10+ I'd rather go dry mount for half the price with multiple protectors than risk water damaging my device just to have a less than optimal feeling/looking protector (wet are thicker than dry).
When I had the glossy protector on my 920, it was nearly invisible, because the edges ended right at the edge of the screen right before the curve, I could only tell on the top and bottom. I changed because glossy protectors have more stickyness with them if you have any moisture on your hands (hands sweat a bit), and matte feels better, resists smudges and finger prints, enhances sunlight readability, only with a reduction of clarity (this is usually the deal breaker for most).

MF-Karma

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
You can have a screen protector on which lowers image quality all the time (amount depends on brand, but they all effect image quality). Or risk a scratch which is very local and may not be noticeable. That being said I have a Verizon screen protector on my phone now but plan to take it off once I get used to the phone. I had a screen protector on my droid x for three years and when I took it off I was pissed how much better the screen looked naked and realized what I was missing out on for fear scratches. Without the screen protector I did not get a scratch in 6 months and that was first generation gorilla glass I think.

MF-Karma

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Also, you are more likely to get scratches if you keep your phone loose in a purse or backpack, pockets tend to be pretty clean if you do laundry every once in a while. Its not uncommon to have sand or dirt in bag which is more likely to cause scratches.

Wacft

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
On my htc trophy i tried a screen protector but couldnt stand the feel. I took it off a never had a single issue with the gorilla glass v1 scratching and I just upgraded to the Icon. The Icon does not and will not have a screen protector cause it feels so damn good and it should be even more resistant to scratches with ggv3. Live a lil 😈

Fabolouis

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
I sent a message to Poetic and here was their reply. "Thank you for your interest in our products. Unfortunately, there is no word on the development of Nokia Lumia Icon compatible cases at the moment. However, you are welcome to subscribe to our newsletter for notifications of future launches and promotions. Let us know if you need anything else and thank you for contacting us.". Which sucks! Now I'm at a loss for a case.

marmau

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
+1 for Zagg if they make one yet. I've used them on the last 5+ phone I've had. First few days it looks weird, but it shinks up and the bubbles and sticky texture go away. I highly recommend if you want a screen protector.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynempire