Lumia storage check beta not available for download anymore?

John Salmento

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I recently was able to move Here maps to the SD card on my son's new Lumia 530 (running Cyan, version 8.10.12400.899) without using Lumia Storage Check Beta. I couldn't use Lumia Storage Check Beta, because Microsoft has removed it. Here is the procedure as a remember it; unfortunately, I didn't write it down. This procedure may only work on Windows Cyan. I haven't been able to get it to work on Denim, see below.

1. Download Storage Sense if you don't have it.
  2. In Storage Sense, I set everything to be stored on the SD card. However, you may only need to set "store new apps on my SD card" and "Store new downloads on my SD card."
  3. In believe I went through Storage Sense and tapped on the "phone" memory, scrolled down and tapped on "maps."
  4. In maps, I tapped on "manage" and tapped on "delete history" and then tapped on "download maps."
  5. Hit the "..." in the bottom right hand corner and tapped on "delete all maps."
  6. Got out and then uninstalled both Here Maps & Here Drive. I would also suggest deleting other Here apps that use maps.
  7. In Storage Sense, I tapped on the "phone" memory and scrolled down to "maps." It indicated that 0 bytes are stored in maps. I think this is key. I don't think this will work if you can't get this down to 0 bytes. Try deleting all maps again and the history. I think if the program used to download and install the maps cannot find any maps on the Phone memory and you have set "apps" and "new downloads" to the SD card it will put the new maps on the SD card.
  8. I may have restarted the phone at this point, but I don't remember
  9. Downloaded Here Maps and Here Drive. These will be stored on SD card.
  10. In Storage Sense, tap on "SD Card", scroll down and tap on "maps." and then tap on "manage."
  11. Download one map and use Storage Sense to check that the map is stored on the SD card and not in the phone memory.
  12. If it works, then download the other maps.
I have successfully downloaded all of the USA, Canada, and Mexico (5.9GB) to the SD card on my son's Lumia 530, which only has 4GB of phone memory.

However, I have not been able to do the same thing on my dad's new Lumia 640 XL (running Denim I think). I have tried multiple times. The main difference other than the Windows version is that after I delete Here Maps and Here Drive and all the maps and history, Storage Sense indicates that there is anywhere between ~60 kbytes and ~5.5 Mbytes of maps stored in the phone memory. When I download any maps it puts them in the phone memory; even though, Here Maps and Here Drive are stored on the SD card.

This is very frustrating. I wish Microsoft or whoever is developing the Here map programs will fix this issue. It makes downloading maps almost useless. Also since this method seems to be broken in newer versions of Windows, I have disabled automatic updates. I don't want to lose this feature.

Vittorio B

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
I'm trying on Lumia 532 and even if the Maps on Phone in the Storage Sense says 0, after installing properly Here Maps and Drive on SD when I go on SS, SD, Maps, Manage and try to install a map it goes on the phone instead.

The strange thinks is that when downloading at certain % it stops and say it can connect to the store, after I go in SS looking for Maps both on Phone and SD and I found the MBs on the Phone side...

Damn!!!!! :eck:

tomastomas

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
Do not follow the above advice if you have lumia 640. I did it and I lost Here Maps and Here drive. You cannot install the apps back from the store. Apparently these two apps are on their final leg. They come with the firmware, but then if you uninstall it you lose the ability to get them back. Suffice to say that the maps never got to the SD card. I had to reset my phone to get back the HERE Maps and HERE drive.
Phone: Lumia 640 with Denim operating system, OS version: 8.10.15148.160

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes