Lumia went for a swim. Didn't survive. :(

FrankieA

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Ahhhhhhhh. :(

So I was trying to enjoy the beautiful seattle weather this weekend by taking out a kayak on the water.. and of course I had to fool around and ended up capsizing my boat. It seems luck was not with me, as I forgot to zip up the ziplock bag with my Lumia 900 in it before taking a dive since I was using it to snap some nice shots on the water.

Anyway, Lumia was in a bag filled with water for about 30 seconds. I took it out, pressed the power button to see if it was still on, but it had automatically turned off - and pressing the power button had started it back up again (UH OH!). I tried to shut it off again ASAP, but alas, I don't think I was quick enough. I let it dry out for the rest of the day, but when I tried to turn it on again the next day - it just wasn't the same. :( It seems the phone powered on - but the screen didn't display anything and that's about as far as it got.

tl;dr: Lumia got wet. And now it's dead.

I'm sad, as expected. I'm not sure what to do with it now.
I tried calling AT&T, but they wouldn't let me add Insurance anymore since I'm 4 days past the 30-day mark (just my luck, right?).

Anyone have any suggestions? Any other place I can try to get warranty w/ accidental coverage for cheaper than the cost of a new phone?

aarondr

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Ouch - eject the SIM slot - throw it in a bag of rice for a few days. You might have to replace the screen. I've fixed an iPhone 4 that took a swim by replacing the digitizer/screen, but in the end it was really flaky. Sucky part about not having a removable battery :(

At least it isn't an expensive phone. I bet you could ebay or craigstlist a replacement. You could also just find a used 2nd gen device like a Focus S or Titan - they aren't the lumia, but they'll do until we get some Apollo hardware right :D?

Anyone have a source for parts yet?

ftap

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
If you used American express they may help you out with a replacement. 90 days accidental protection. Another reason to always used Amex.

FrankieA

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the tips guys. I tried the rice bag thing already for the last 2 days - no luck. =(

I think I might have damaged so many components that fixing just the screen and/or digitizer might still not be enough.

@ftap23 - unfortunately my cc company offers no such awesomeness.

Craigslisting a new one looks to be ~350. I'm actually using my backup phone right now - an HTC Titan - but after using the Lumia 900.. it's so tough to go back to the Titan! I miss the sleekness, the cyan, button placement, and that sick amoled screen.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks stinks...hope you can find a good deal on a used one! While not as disappointing, I had the same feeling when I bricked my 710.

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Ahhhhhhhh. :(

So I was trying to enjoy the beautiful seattle weather this weekend by taking out a kayak on the water.. and of course I had to fool around and ended up capsizing my boat. It seems luck was not with me, as I forgot to zip up the ziplock bag with my Lumia 900 in it before taking a dive since I was using it to snap some nice shots on the water.

Anyway, Lumia was in a bag filled with water for about 30 seconds. I took it out, pressed the power button to see if it was still on, but it had automatically turned off - and pressing the power button had started it back up again (UH OH!). I tried to shut it off again ASAP, but alas, I don't think I was quick enough. I let it dry out for the rest of the day, but when I tried to turn it on again the next day - it just wasn't the same. :( It seems the phone powered on - but the screen didn't display anything and that's about as far as it got.

tl;dr: Lumia got wet. And now it's dead.

I'm sad, as expected. I'm not sure what to do with it now.
I tried calling AT&T, but they wouldn't let me add Insurance anymore since I'm 4 days past the 30-day mark (just my luck, right?).

Anyone have any suggestions? Any other place I can try to get warranty w/ accidental coverage for cheaper than the cost of a new phone?
I think, you made one mistake. You should not have tried to turn it on after it fell in water.
You should let it remain off and put in rice bag or even in sun and let it dry for atleast 24 hours before turning on. That was Nokia's recommendation, which I read somewhere for any phone with such a heavy water damage.
Reason is that, if water enters on the pcb, you try to operate the device, which can cause short-circuits on the board or cause certain component pins to arc or go wonky due to high current draw.
So, never turn on any electronic device, if possible, immediately after water damage. This doesn't mean that there is a guaranteed 100% failure rate, but it's a precaution, which will help in more cases than not using that precaution.

FrankieA

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
@hary536 - definitely agree. I really didn't mean to turn it on - I wanted to turn it OFF. But somehow it was already off, and instead I made it turn on. :(

Anyway, I just had a chat with AT&T this morning, and the CSR was really nice and is trying to add on the mobile insurance package for me even though I'm a few days over the 30-day period. Hopefully it works out, and if so I should be able to get a replacement for 6.99 + $125 deductible - which is much better than buying a new phone. :) So if it goes through - yay for AT&T!

aarondr

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Sorry bro :(. #FirstWorldProblems lol

Yeah no kidding! - "Crap - I have to go back to this 4.7" SLCD phone w/ a faster processor and better camera".

You know you could always sell the titan on craigslist or ebay and get yourself a new lumia straight from AT&T for about the cost of the insurance you're trying to buy. I see no reason to have a backup phone when you can pocket cash and buy a new one if you need it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss