Make Your Voice Heard on WP7.8 VOTE!

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks fatclue_98. You gave my thumbs a rest. Well said.

The 800lb. Gorilla is still slumbering a bit after being in shackles for 10 years. But he will be pounding his chest come this Fall. Something that most twenty-something's (and younger) in this crowd have not experienced. This Gorilla won't be happy till it's the market leader in every category, again.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

vp710

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
The 2 year contract argument is irrelevant. It's not MS's fault you signed such a contract. Blame yourself, or the carrier for pushing a phone on you. Personally, I think the subsidized phone business plan needs to stop. Pay your phone full price then pay less on your monthly bill and be free to choose the best carrier for your use. People would have a little more respect for their devices this way anyways.

The noise about 7.8 is ridiculous. 90% of people got a $600 phone for free or next to nothing and they're throwing tantrums demanding totally unreasonable things from MS like free phones, money back and a lot more BS.

People don't understand they WILL get new app support except for games that wouldn't run on their weak phone anyways and apps taking advantage of NFC. You can expect 7.8 to get all main apps until at least the end of 2013.

This nonsense needs to stop. :mad:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
In all seriousness what is your main point in this argument? Forget people whining about WP8 as far as the OS goes. Should people who have recently just locked themselves into 2 or 3 year contract not be concerned about apps? They have every right to be concerned imo. I think we will be fine but your post is exactly what this guy is talking about. There is no reason for you to come in here and try to put people down because they are voicing concerns. Does MS pay you? The fact that Microsoft has such a low market share is not the fault of anyone on this forum, and if we are not 'supporting' this platform who the **** is? I won't use the word owe but MS should really try to take care of the people who have been supporting their product. IMO its bad pr. No one owns a window phone and why would someone want to cone over to a platform with a reputation of ditching its loyal customers?
I wouldn't exactly call 2% market penetration "support", more like curiosity. For all their faults, the Android & Apple crowd DO support their products fervently. That's part of the reason Google can make it's million devices per day claim. I'm not paid by MS, I'm in the Medical Gas design & installation business. My needs are unique and WP7 has not (yet) produced the functionality I need so I've reverted back to WinMo. If you locked yourself into a 2-3 year contract based on hope vs. reality, then my friend you're honoring P.T. Barnum's memory.

Bee Mon

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
For all their faults, the Android & Apple crowd DO support their products fervently. That's part of the reason Google can make it's million devices per day claim.

Nope that's not the reason where I come from. I am from an Asian country and yes mostly everyone is buying android. Why? Because they are cheap. They dump old android phones wrapped in black plastic bags to clueless users that don't know what they are buying except its a smartphone than can run facebook and it can play angry birds. They don't bloody care if its android. If they had money, they would have probably bought an iPhone instead, which everyone else tells them its the prestige device. None of them has probably even seen a Windows Phone before. So enuff with the million devices activated per day claim. If Nokia/Samsung/HTC can make their Windows phone dirt cheap, they can get the similar numbers too at least around here.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Nope that's not the reason where I come from. I am from an Asian country and yes mostly everyone is buying android. Why? Because they are cheap. They dump old android phones wrapped in black plastic bags to clueless users that don't know what they are buying except its a smartphone than can run facebook and it can play angry birds. They don't bloody care if its android. If they had money, they would have probably bought an iPhone instead, which everyone else tells them its the prestige device. None of them has probably even seen a Windows Phone before. So enuff with the million devices activated per day claim. If Nokia/Samsung/HTC can make their Windows phone dirt cheap, they can get the similar numbers too at least around here.
I'm glad you pointed that out. I've never heard any mention of "dumping" cheap Android phones on the populace like you've described. I plead guilty as charged on the first count of the indictment for being an ignorant American. I always wondered about that number, that's my Cuban part talking, 'cause it seems very high. Unless they're counting people like myself who switches device frequently, I can't see a million. But since I haven't read anybody disputing it until your post, I have to assume it's accurate. Thank you for setting me straight.

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't exactly call 2% market penetration "support", more like curiosity. For all their faults, the Android & Apple crowd DO support their products fervently. That's part of the reason Google can make it's million devices per day claim. I'm not paid by MS, I'm in the Medical Gas design & installation business. My needs are unique and WP7 has not (yet) produced the functionality I need so I've reverted back to WinMo. If you locked yourself into a 2-3 year contract based on hope vs. reality, then my friend you're honoring P.T. Barnum's memory.

the reason windows phone only has 2-3% market share is multi-facetted. One point would def. be the fact that they ditched all of their WinMo customers in a 'generational shift',but seriously its more complicated than that. I bought my trophy well before any rumors started to circulate concerning WP8's upgrade path, and by the time my update is ready WP8 will be in full swing. I love where Microsoft is headed but bad p.r. is hard to shake. Google has so much of the market not because of its followers but because it costs nothing to use its OS. They flooded the world with cheap, inexpensive phones that gave people the opportunity to have a smartphone that could not afford an iPhone. So many people I work with have Android because they are cheap, and targeting that low end area has been huge for them. The bottom line is you don't hear a lot of negative press about Apple or Google concerning their phone platforms. Not from the mass media anyway, maybe tech sites will have more in depth articles but they cater to a specific group of people. Being so behind MS cant afford to be upsetting their customers imo. this is all irrelevant until MS officially states what is in 7.8 and even then it really is about apps. If we get the short-end of the stick on that regard I think a lot of ppl will be unhappy.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
The 2 year contract argument is irrelevant. It's not MS's fault you signed such a contract. Blame yourself, or the carrier for pushing a phone on you. Personally, I think the subsidized phone business plan needs to stop. Pay your phone full price then pay less on your monthly bill and be free to choose the best carrier for your use. People would have a little more respect for their devices this way anyways.

The noise about 7.8 is ridiculous. 90% of people got a $600 phone for free or next to nothing and they're throwing tantrums demanding totally unreasonable things from MS like free phones, money back and a lot more BS.

People don't understand they WILL get new app support except for games that wouldn't run on their weak phone anyways and apps taking advantage of NFC. You can expect 7.8 to get all main apps until at least the end of 2013.

This nonsense needs to stop. :mad:

Whether you like it or not or agree with it or not that is the carrier business model that we have in place in the US anyways. In most plans you will end up paying the same amount monthly regardless of what your phone costs the carrier so you may as well get something out of it instead of knowing you can spend an extra $500-$850 whenever the mood strikes for an upgrade which you can do anyways. There is a reason the iPhone schedule works the way it is (minor/major upgrade cycle and the last generation of phone so far has always been supported by the latest OS revision)

As for the "unreasonable demands" I really don't see how asking for MS to make some effort to make sure 7.8 can run most apps from W8 without having to hope/rely on developers to bother doing it is unreasonable.

The only nonsense that needs to stop around here is all the comments from people like you. I get it there is 900000 threads and articles about how current customers are feeling pretty boned by MS (And I think with good reason). But if they make a stink about it though MS will possibly take action, heck even Apple has bent to the whim and whine of its customers after they make enough noise even if its a vocal minority. As a result everyone was better for it. What the heck are you all scared of? That MS will listen and let users run W8 apps not dependent on the hardware? Boy that would really suck for everyone wouldn't it now?

Bee Mon

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I always wondered about that number, that's my Cuban part talking, 'cause it seems very high. Unless they're counting people like myself who switches device frequently, I can't see a million.

Pardon me but since I don't follow Android news, its the one million devices phone only? Here we also have a lot of cheap brand-less tablets and portable media players running Android imported from China. My friend bought one to save money and now she regrets it. The battery lasts barely 2 hours on basic use. She felt cheated. As soon as she saves up enough money to get a new tablet, she will dump it. Her next choice is iPad as she says she'll never buy another Android tablet again even though in reality its not really Android's fault for sucking battery but the manufacturer for not proving a battery big enough for the suckage :D However most people around here can't tell the difference between OS and hardware. So these devices actually make Android look bad so Google shouldn't be proud of these kinds of activations.

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Pardon me but since I don't follow Android news, its the one million devices phone only? Here we also have a lot of cheap brand-less tablets and portable media players running Android imported from China. My friend bought one to save money and now she regrets it. The battery lasts barely 2 hours on basic use. She felt cheated. As soon as she saves up enough money to get a new tablet, she will dump it. Her next choice is iPad as she says she'll never buy another Android tablet again even though in reality its not really Android's fault for sucking battery but the manufacturer for not proving a battery big enough for the suckage :D However most people around here can't tell the difference between OS and hardware. So these devices actually make Android look bad so Google shouldn't be proud of these kinds of activations.
I would be guessing that it's devices in general. I'm also guessing they're just taking a count of user ID log-ins so I doubt that it's a million new devices everyday.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zahrajooon1254