Mango and WiFi

scdkad

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know if Mango gives the option of leaving WiFi on when the phone times out? This is very annoying in having to wait for it to reconnect after waking the phone up. I know MS did it conserve the battery but how about letting us users decide that?

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
The way I understand it, is that if an app is using it under a locked screen then it will stay connected. But if it's idle then it will disconnect.

Wiccan Lagar

Aug 17, 2011
www.mpiofny.com
Actually I have a question as well. Is there or will there be a way to log into hidden WiFi connections. the CEO and high level execs have a hidden WiFi just fot them and I wanna stick it to the man seeing I know how to find it and authenticate. (I am such naughty naughty little PC tech.j

Sent from my Dell Venue Pro using Board Express

Wiccan Lagar

Aug 17, 2011
www.mpiofny.com
Now any idea if mango will be able to authenticate with enterprise level encryption? bTw if this info is posted somewhere please just send me the link. Don't want to be redundant.

gerrymad

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Now any idea if mango will be able to authenticate with enterprise level encryption? bTw if this info is posted somewhere please just send me the link. Don't want to be redundant.

It does WPA2 security. That pretty much covers it all.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
i haven’t notice my WIFI disconnecting.....

sometimes i Queue like 5 games to Download *on wifi * my phone goes into standby ... when i re-open it all my games are downloaded..... maybe it doesn’t affect the marketplace

well if we get WIFI hotspot app , it better not time out . i use it all the time for my Xbox at my Summer home.

massifheed

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
i haven?t notice my WIFI disconnecting.....
sometimes i Queue like 5 games to Download *on wifi * my phone goes into standby ... when i re-open it all my games are downloaded..... maybe it doesn?t affect the marketplace

If you put your phone into standby while it's still doing things that require the WiFi connection (downloading music/games etc) then the connection stays active until it's finished with it. It'll also stay connected so long as it's charging. But if it's running on battery and not actively using the WiFi connection then it'll drop it.

This has been a big problem for me, as it seems to confuse the **** out of my WiFi router (a BT Homehub 3). Typically, I'll play around with my phone a bit, then put it down, then come back to it a few minutes later and do some other stuff, then put it down, then wake it to check the time etc etc. Every time it wakes it tries to reconnect to my router, seemingly whether it needs to or not. After a while it stops connecting to my router alltogether, and I get a message saying "cannot reach 'Home Hub 3'". I would say that it probably only connects 4 times out of 10 attempts.

All my other wireless devices at home have no such issues, so it's clearly only WP7, and I just dont get the thinking behind dropping the wireless connection unless it's actively using it. Every other phone I've had with WiFi has made a connection and maintained it, with little obvious effect on battery life. The WP7 approach seems a strange way to handle WiFi connections, and in some circumstances (such as mine), it's obviously detremental.

wp7outlaw

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
If you put your phone into standby while it's still doing things that require the WiFi connection (downloading music/games etc) then the connection stays active until it's finished with it. It'll also stay connected so long as it's charging. But if it's running on battery and not actively using the WiFi connection then it'll drop it.

This has been a big problem for me, as it seems to confuse the **** out of my WiFi router (a BT Homehub 3). Typically, I'll play around with my phone a bit, then put it down, then come back to it a few minutes later and do some other stuff, then put it down, then wake it to check the time etc etc. Every time it wakes it tries to reconnect to my router, seemingly whether it needs to or not. After a while it stops connecting to my router alltogether, and I get a message saying "cannot reach 'Home Hub 3'". I would say that it probably only connects 4 times out of 10 attempts.

All my other wireless devices at home have no such issues, so it's clearly only WP7, and I just dont get the thinking behind dropping the wireless connection unless it's actively using it. Every other phone I've had with WiFi has made a connection and maintained it, with little obvious effect on battery life. The WP7 approach seems a strange way to handle WiFi connections, and in some circumstances (such as mine), it's obviously detremental.

Im not having this problem on my trophy im always connected to wifi if i leave my phone a while and pick it up i can get straight on to the net with no waiting for reconnection's to my router or anything never have had that problem in 8 months of owning the phone..

jimmy1one

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
i haven?t notice my WIFI disconnecting.....

sometimes i Queue like 5 games to Download *on wifi * my phone goes into standby ... when i re-open it all my games are downloaded..... maybe it doesn?t affect the marketplace well if we get WIFI hotspot app , it better not time out . i use it all the time for my Xbox at my Summer home.
You are correct it will not disconnect as long as it has an AC power connection. In Mango WiFI will run background events called by apps. Pointedly the development podcast specifies running most content gathering functions at night over WiFI using agents. Mango even specifies what the agent are allowed to do, how many be uses at the same time, duration and when they can be ran

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Epoch4