Maps effectively replace Nokia Maps now/

meathead88

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Is the new Maps app better than Nokia Maps?

Do we need both installed? Seems like you have to download maps for both (they can't share)

vindicarblack

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
apparently you need Here Drive for Voice nav - Microsoft needs to collapse all these apps to one offering - way to confusing 0 like the Xbox music/Music video etc

AndrewL920

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone tell me if Satellite view will only works if there are data connection or WiFi? I opened my Here Maps and set it to "Satellite View". With WiFi On, the satellite view works fine in my location and other places but when I turned Off my WiFi, the satellite view shows only Blurry images.

MARKjotep

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
I believe the reason why we got bing map in the update is because its a general 8.1 Dev preview? not OEM specific update.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I believe the reason why we got bing map in the update is because its a general 8.1 Dev preview? not OEM specific update.
Exactly. It's also why we got "Microsoft Camera" where Nokia Camera is waaaaay better. The Microsoft (Bing) Maps app is good, but nowhere near the quality of Nokia's HERE Mapping and HERE Drive navigation software... not even close!

makarand14

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
What I personally don't like is the way of setting favorites. Cortana doesn't pull favorites from Here Maps. She has to have favorites from the default Microsoft Maps.

They should enable syncing of favorite places.

poots1101

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I would actually argue that the Bing Maps app is better than the HERE Maps app now, in WP8.1. This morning while getting ready for work (Des Moines, IA), I noticed that Bing Maps now has the bus routes available when looking for directions. So when I asked Cortana "what's the traffic like to work" she showed a map (I'm assuming it's Bing Maps not HERE), and when I clicked on the map i could change from driving to transit. VERY cool stuff.

Both HERE Maps and HERE Transit do not have any sort of bus route information for Iowa. Obviously larger cities in the US or other countries might not have this issue, but it's reassuring for someone in a smaller city.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786