Maximizing mobile data. Lumia 950XL dual sim setup. AT&T and T-mobile

Juan Stevens

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Just wanted to share a pic of my setup.

Background: This all started because I had a CLEAR hotspot that I used for all my mobile data needs. It was unlimited and perfect until Sprint bought them and cut the service a few weeks ago. I'm a fed govt worker so I can't just hook up my electronics to the network.

So I had to go about finding a new solution. It just so happens T-Mobile had just announced their Binge-On program. I currently have an AT&T account but I purchased a T-Mobile account to try it out. I was going to carry around two phones. The 950XL and a cheap android phone with mobile hotspot capability. And then I found out that the XL was Dual Sim. OH MY!

Long story short. I have a AT&T and T-Mobile sim in my 950 xl. The T-Mobile plan I have gives 14 gb hotspot and unlimited(21 gb before prioritizing) on the phone. I use continuum on the phone and the hotspot for my Surface book. I have both docks hooked up to a KVC switch so I can switch between the book and phone. It works quite nice actually. The only issue I have with the phone is sites like these and all the ads. You think WindowsCentral ads are awful on a regular computer. Try it on the phone. omg.

WP_20151210.jpg

Last edited:

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have both docks hooked up to a KVC switch so I can switch between the book and phone.
Hey cool, that solves one huge drawback of the dock: the need to have a dedicated monitor/mouse/kb setup for the phone. Which switch did you buy and how much did it cost?

Mark Morales

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Nice setup!

My monitor has multiple inputs so I just use the monitor's controls to switch the input. As for keyboard / mouse, I use this SIIG usb switch...

wp_ss_20151211_0001.jpg

The only issue I have with the phone is sites like these and all the ads.

Wish we could edit the Host file on W10M!

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Sorry about that. I forgot to register so I could see replies. It's $128 and here's the link.
Amazon.com: StarTech.com SV231DPUA 2 Port Professional USB DisplayPort KVM Switch with Audio: Electronics
Thanks. That's a pretty hefty price tag though. I really hope MS will release a universal USB-type C dock that supports both the 950 series and newer Surface devices.

Edit, so this is not really a KVM discussion, but it looks you one could do this cheaper with something like this KVM. It's $26, but it's VGA + USB only, so you'd also need $8 adapter cables for DP or HDMI to VGA. Still, for under $50 you'd be set. Display quality on VGA might not be great though and it would be a bit of a cable tangle.

Last edited:

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I have similar Dual SIM config, but both are AT&T.
Corporate issued SIM is my phone number that I have had for 15+ years. But my family plan is a HUGE 40Gig rollover data plan. I used to use a second device for the hotspot with the family plan SIM. Lumia 2520, or L640, or even a L1520. But it's kind of cool to just switch between which SIM on the 950XL is the "data" SIM. Probably my only complaint is that the SIM 1 slot seems to, at times, get a 1-bar weaker signal than SIM 2 (or the other devices I have) Not always, but it does when I'm holding it cradled in my hand. Also, the 950XL is more likely to drop from LTE to 4G when I get home. I work in a 5-BAR LTE environment, but live very rural and drop to 2-3 bar LTE at home. The 950XL is likely in my hands, where the other devices that could serve as a Hotspot can be set in a place undisturbed, giving them a more ideal condition.
Regardless, I am very pleased with the 950XL. I must be fortunate because I haven't had the issues that many have reported. Maybe a couple of snags here and there, but overall an amazing device. It had to EARN its way to being my preferred device because I have an arsenal to choose from. I was skeptical there was ever going to be a phone to topple my beloved 1520.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leliawindler