Memory card for Lumia 530?

SamJHannan

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
I've just ordered a Lumia 530 for my girlfriend (excellent deal for ?29.95 and a ?10 top up from Carphone Warehouse UK), and due to the low storage inside I plan on purchasing a memory card also. I've seen a few people recommend higher class memory cards as class 4 level is too low for app storage - any posters have opinions on this? And can anyone remind me of the amount of free OneDrive storage available for photos (and anything else)? Thanks in advance.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
For normal use and stuff, I'd say Class 4 is the baseline. (I wouldn't have any qualms if I had to live with it)
Looks like even with apps, it'll work fine.
Although paying more to get a higher speed can be nice.

The baseline amount of OneDrive storage is 15 GB.
Most Office 365 subscriptions come with unlimited space. (10 TB in the meantime as it rolls out)
I believe there is a 15 GB photo upload bonus (don't know if its still around) just for uploading one photo.
You can refer people as well for more storage as well.

umangpop777

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I think memory card is very very essential in case of Lumia 530.

Decision of class will be upon how you are going to use it.
If you(r girlfriend) put just photos and music on memory card then class 6 will also be sufficient.

If she is apps/games+social apps/selfie lover then definitely go for class 10 memory card. Because class 4/6 will slow down phone and causes lag.

SamJHannan

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
So the consensus is a class 10 card for apps? Because 4gb is nothing, she'll definitely be using it for apps. Out of interest (having only ever had a 920 with no sd support) can all apps be installed on the sd card? Thanks for the replies

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So the consensus is a class 10 card for apps? Because 4gb is nothing, she'll definitely be using it for apps. Out of interest (having only ever had a 920 with no sd support) can all apps be installed on the sd card? Thanks for the replies

Most apps can be moved. I believe developers can disallow movement.

You can't go wrong with Class 10.
I personally would get 10 if I was doing heavy lifting (large files being moved etc often), and otherwise throw a 6 in there, but yea, 10 works.

SamJHannan

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Most apps can be moved. I believe developers can disallow movement.

You can't go wrong with Class 10.
I personally would get 10 if I was doing heavy lifting (large files being moved etc often), and otherwise throw a 6 in there, but yea, 10 works.

When you say moved, does that mean apps can't be installed directly to the sd?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
When you say moved, does that mean apps can't be installed directly to the sd?

I have a 920, so I cant say firsthand, but there is an option that lets you choose the SD as the default location for new apps.
So I would assume a direct install is fine, although I would want some breathing room space in main memory in case it uses that as a staging area.

Some apps don't allow card installs IIRC, but that's probably the exception.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb