Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer confirms some Xbox games are headed to PlayStation 5 and Nintendo Switch

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
We waited damn near a week FOR THIS?!?

"Hey y'all, 4 of our so-so smaller titles will launch on other platforms but I can't tell you which or when."

While I do believe that sticking with their current strategy is the best of the worst options, I can't believe Microsoft/Phil allowed this much anxiety and negative rumors to build before announcing basically nothing. I expected an actual shift in their strategy that went beyond what they've done in the past.

bazanime

Dec 9, 2023
Visit site
The Internet today is always anxious, and nothing will stop that until folks try not to panic and jump on bandwagons of negativity.

Have a discussion rather than a tirade and doomsday preaching.

It's good they had this podcast that clears things up and sets up the future. We can look forward to what's coming up.

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
So... the Internet was wrong that Xbox is giving up, throwing in the towel, and ceding its big exclusives to Sony.

Now, for me, the question is: was that what Phil planned to announce last week when he told us there would be a big business update this week, or did the uproar surprise Microsoft and cause a shift in strategy to what we heard today. Perhaps it gave more ammo to the people within MS who wanted to maintain the exclusives. It did sound like this was the plan all along, but I still can't help but wonder...

naddy69

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
It's also entirely possible that MS knew nothing about the "internet uproar" over this. I really don't think Microsoft executives are fan boys.

I remember the MS Build event in 2016 (I think, maybe 2017?). Anyway, it was near the end of the Windows Phone era. They showed all kinds of new stuff for iOS and Android first. Crowd silence. Later they demoed something using a Windows Phone. The crowd exploded in cheering and everyone on stage stopped what they were doing and looked VERY surprised. As in, "what are you cheering about?"

That's when I knew Windows phones were dead.

Last edited:

Samuel Tolbert

Staff member
Apr 14, 2023
Visit site
We waited damn near a week FOR THIS?!?

"Hey y'all, 4 of our so-so smaller titles will launch on other platforms but I can't tell you which or when."

While I do believe that sticking with their current strategy is the best of the worst options, I can't believe Microsoft/Phil allowed this much anxiety and negative rumors to build before announcing basically nothing. I expected an actual shift in their strategy that went beyond what they've done in the past.
I understand where you're coming from, but the fact is, Xbox shouldn't be expected to respond to every single rumor. They were already planning on doing this exact podcast, they just bumped it up because of the nonsense that exploded.

Looking ahead, I do hope Xbox players stop being quite so anxious about things. Not saying there aren't reasons to have concerns, but Xbox is clearly here to stay as a healthy business.

fjtorres5591

May 16, 2023
Visit site
I understand where you're coming from, but the fact is, Xbox shouldn't be expected to respond to every single rumor. They were already planning on doing this exact podcast, they just bumped it up because of the nonsense that exploded.

Looking ahead, I do hope Xbox players stop being quite so anxious about things. Not saying there aren't reasons to have concerns, but Xbox is clearly here to stay as a healthy business.
Not every single rumor needs addressing but some rumors are too pernicious and ill-timed they need to be swatted down immediately.
This was one of them.

How it came to be remains to be seen but coming on the heels of the consolidation layoffs, malicious intent can't be excluded which made the lack of immediate response even more baffling.

It has long been established that MS is just awful on public relations and marketing but this one goes beyond even their previous low.

For an example of good rumor management, look to James Gunn. He is usually quick and concise, often with a single word. "No." "One of the three isn't impossible." "Yes." "Totally made up." "Misrepresented." "Nobody will be cast until the script is finished." It is doubtful he spends even 15 minutes a day on rumor control. And for all we know the channel is vetted by an intern somewhere.

All MS had to do was tweet: "New and recent exclusives will remain exclusive. Newer and more powerful hardware will be announced this fall."
What's so hard about that? They waited two weeks and spent a half hour just to say that?

Reactions: GraniteStateColin

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zahrajooon1254