Microsoft lied!

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the folks saying that it's awkward on a desktop pc. A big problem is that from what I could tell, it doesn't really bring anything new to the table if you're not interested in Metro mode.

I posted a while ago in some other thread that it would probably be great for a tablet but not for a desktop pc. A lot of what I do on my pc is only available from the desktop mode, and transitioning between metro and desktop felt clunky, just adding a layer of complexity that didn't need to be there. And I'm sorry, but I think getting rid of the start menu was just a poor decision. If you're using a mouse then the start menu has way more features and is a lot more useful than the metro start screen. Huge WTF by Microsoft in my opinion.

Multi monitor support was pretty bad when I tried it. Good to hear that they've cleaned that up, but by now I've already given up on Win8. I think I'll be skipping this one unless I decide to get a tablet. But I'm not really a tablet fan, so I don't know about that either.

Edit: One thing I forgot to mention is a positive. The new task manager is pretty awesome. They did a great job with that. But it's hardly a good enough reason for me to upgrade.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Also annoying: Mail (when I last used it over a month ago) is similar to WP7 in when you delete an e-mail it doesn't immediately reflect that change on the server. It doesn't annoy me so much now, but imagine if you have a Window Phone, Windows RT tablet, and Windows 8. You get a new mail notification on your phone, you delete the e-mail. A few minutes later, you get on your tablet and PC, and at this point the changes still haven't gone back to the server so you see that very same e-mail that you just deleted on your phone still marked unread in your inbox on your PC or tablet.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Sorry but its not awkward for me using a PC. Again with the generalization. For YOU its awkward, not for everyone

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evan.mason5724