Microsoft Lumia 950XL (and 950) camera information

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
So after seeing (actually... hearing it) the keynote and pouring over the datasheets and factsheets that are available on the Microsoft site, it appears there is very little we ACTUALLY know about the camera specifications and camera performance...
If you follow Juha Alakarhu on twitter, then you may have some more info such as ISO12800 and dual exposure in one shot etc.

This is all well and good - but why did Microsoft not put more emphasis on the camera performance?
where were the images?
Why gloss over it so much?

Here;s what i know....
20MP
f/1.9 aperture
possibly 1/2.4" sensor size - i thought i had seen this myself on one of the datasheets but now that i go back, its not there, but AAWP also state this.
5" Gen OIS
RGB flash
content aware exp. times
next gen dynamic exposure

Apparently according to Juha, the 950 and 950XL will be identical in camera (not sure about actual shot/shot performance as their SOCs are different)

So , whats the thought or opinions on why this camera performance wasnt more stressed / emphasized in the keynote or even afterwards with some blog post?
why the delay?
is this really due to them not being "ready"?

full disclosure - long time Nokia phone user - never used anything else.
Have a Nokia Pureview 808 and Nokia N8, so am used to the larger sensor devices
Currently been waiting for a flagship like others while using a low end Lumia 520 on 8.1 and Lumia 521 with Windows 10 Mobile.

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
The camera has always been superb in Lumia phones, and Nokia previously :) I think this one will do even better than L930, which is not bad at all. My only wish is for high fps recording, such as 120, that would be nice :D

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
The camera has always been superb in Lumia phones, and Nokia previously :) I think this one will do even better than L930, which is not bad at all. My only wish is for high fps recording, such as 120, that would be nice :D

well according to Juha's tweet, you will get 60fps 1080p, 30fps 4K.

https://twitter.com/jalakarhu/status/651490582892834816

One thing i just noticed from reading a few tweets is that there appears there are meetings today with some of the press about imaging or phones... so i am hoping we will see more info about the camera performance later today or after today.

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
◾ISO12800
◾F1.9
◾5th gen OIS
◾Nnatural pixel processing,
◾RGB flash
◾Content aware exp. times,
◾Next gen dynamic exposure: Two exposure times in the same image. Short for moving and long for static part in Rich capture.

That's more info. Microsoft stated more will be revealed in their blogs.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
ok - so we have info - but in the past for every Pureview camera they have released, there has been corresponding camera images and white papers and blog posts ready and published that same day...
just saying - this is a departure for them... one has to wonder why.

frith360

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
The deal breaker for me is post processing speed. <3'd my 1020, but goddamn did it take a long time to process each shot. Meanwhile, my GS6 Edge I can hold down the shutter and bam, 30 shots in like 2 seconds. Sadly however, outside having more apps, I really miss WP :\

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
The deal breaker for me is post processing speed. <3'd my 1020, but goddamn did it take a long time to process each shot. Meanwhile, my GS6 Edge I can hold down the shutter and bam, 30 shots in like 2 seconds. Sadly however, outside having more apps, I really miss WP :\

My 1520 can ALMOST---almost do the same thing... almost.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
lumia cam 5 seemed fast af already, I'm sure Microsoft can improve over it, they control both software and hardware now they can do awesomely just like apple, I'm really glad they moved back to roots and have low light supremacy back just like 92x lumias, but I'm still calling bs on a so called RGB triple led, give me a xenon+led please...

bugelrex

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
The photos Juha posted look simply amazing, I hope they are not going to let us down. But with enough light, most photos can be made to look very good

bugelrex

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
But how where the photos taken?
- tripod, professional 3rd party flash, huge light reflectors to maximize sunlight?

With a large professional setup, the latest cameras wont vary too much

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99