Microsoft made quite a few changes to Internet Explorer in Update 1

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
The update is both good and bad. The thing that MS did with supporting other non-standards is fine, but the thing that they are imitating other browsers and systems is TERRIBLE! So they should just revert to the old User-agent string, and everything will be fine.

DarkGray Knight

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: Microsoft made quit the changes to Internet Explorer in Update 1

Browser vendors need to stop pushing extensions in release versions of the browser. The extensions are supposed to be there only to allow testing of new features before they become standardized. Developers should also push back when possible to explain that adding "that feature" will cost significantly more, as it'll have to be fixed if/when it becomes standardized. Once it is standardized, it may actually work differently than what was originally built by the browser vendor.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Re: Microsoft made quit the changes to Internet Explorer in Update 1

MS is doing the right thing here and makes me as a Web dev and a WP user happy. Webkit, specifically mobile Safari, is pretty much the standard the mobile web works on these days. If IE and Safari both work the same, that saves valuable testing and development resources that could be used doing other things. As a web developer, that makes me happy. As a user, I want the sites that I visit to look good and work as expected.

Here's the other thing: I care about IE11 because it's half our IE traffic. I don't care much about WP (even though I use a WP phone) because it's 0.25% of our total traffic. I wouldn't have put that ugly hack in if it was a WP-only issue. Now I don't need to worry. If I can support mobile Safari, WP should work. This is good for devs and users.

So how about the fact that now we get ios and android spam and apps shoved at us when we browse the web,how is that good for WP users?