Microsoft Mobile - "Unsustainable"

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Apple is probably over 10% with Mac, now.

What is the meaning of this?

A Microsoft is loosing it because people "massively" chang to Mac.

B It took Apple several years to get a "decent" foothold so it is possible to go from a "small" number to "sustainable number because if Apple can do it why not MS.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
If they were going to throw in the towel then why move phones under Panos?

That is THE question in my book (pun of course intended :winktongue: ).

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
If we talk about mobile services, Microsoft is in an even more difficult situation than mobile devices.

Almost 99.999..% of people use Google Maps. Many people use Google search and "google" has become a word in dictionary. Many people have a gmail account but not an outlook one.

More and more people are using Google Docs, Google Forms instead of Office 365. Especially the younger generations. I have a class of high school students having Office 365 (offered by my school) installed on their Windows tablets and most of them use Google Docs everyday despite Office 365 offer more complete features. Many online e-learning services (e.g. Kahoot!, Nearpod) offer signing in with Google account but not Microsoft account.

It seems that Microsoft services are only safe in the enterprise. They are not anymore in the consumer space. I hope Microsoft is aware of the situation.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
If we talk about mobile services, Microsoft is in an even more difficult situation than mobile devices.

It seems that Microsoft services are only safe in the enterprise. They are not anymore in the consumer space. I hope Microsoft is aware of the situation.

I think this is a reach, and it probably varies on various situations. Google Docs is great but it has its limits, especially when it comes to particular things that might be required in post secondary education. I work at an institution that is subscribed to Office 365, which allows for students to use OneDrive cloud storage connected to their accounts. Additionally, outlook email is also connected to Office 365, as well. Trying to do Chicago style citations on Google Docs, good luck. Universities using Office 365 is very common, at least in the United States.

I have also seen some news stories recently saying that a good amount of Apple users have set their default search to Bing on their iPhone. Outlook on mobile is a service that is very popular on both iOS and Android. Word Flow has gained so much steam on iOS (for good reason). So I'm not sure I can agree that MS is in a hard situation. Maps is a hard battle, though.

ADGrant

Jun 14, 2007
Visit site
Apple is not close to 10% of the PC market

That's going to depend on what market your are talking about. In the US they are probably over 10% if you exclude Enterprise users. If you are looking at the non Enterprise laptop market it's even higher.

For the US premium retail market (non Enterprise over $1000 a unit), they have been at around 90% for some time.

Many of the Silicon Valley tech companies use Macs instead of Windows, Google doesn't actually allow its employees to use Windows.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
If you exclude this and add this and ignore this you can make numbers appear to be anything you want them to be. Or does the rest of the world not count.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliveeAria