Microsoft owns Skype... and GroupMe, why are they not owning messaging?

anon(8763253)

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I think most people still use skype for video messaging but i don't see the point in using skype for Instant messaging so whatsapp and facebook messenger are just easier for that.

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site
International contacts are the reason for the IM apps. I chat with folks from Canada, UK, India, Australia. If I were to use SMS, I simply could not chat with those folks, since the costs would be ridiculous.

As to that, it takes a minute to send a photo over SMS, and got luck sending a video or a voice recording.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I would love msft to improve skype on windows phone . Not because I hate it :p I enjoy using it when I need to. Most of my contacts uses skype and I truly is cross platform because I have have it on my iPod , surface , phone and desktop . Unlike whatsapp I can only use whatsapp on my phone . If msft just put more work on windows phone to bring it up to par to iOS I would be satisfied . For me Skype is miles better then whatsapp

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
When using Skype, you need to wait to be logged in, while other messengers like WhatsApp just needs to be opened and get right into chatting

Sent from my Xperia Z2

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
1. I think Skype is more known for video chatting than IM. We used MSN at work and when support went for that everybody switched to Yahoo.

2. Have you tried making a video call from the W8.1 Skype App? It fails up to twice every time before the call goes through.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
When using Skype, you need to wait to be logged in, while other messengers like WhatsApp just needs to be opened and get right into chatting

Sent from my Xperia Z2

Is whatsapp cross platform as in you can install whatsapp on any device and have your convos synced ? I'm asking because I don't know if whatsapp can do that :/ skype on the other hand is cross platform and See the messages I typed using my 810 on my computer and surface and iPod

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Reebs Reebs

May 18, 2013
Visit site
1. I think Skype is more known for video chatting than IM. We used MSN at work and when support went for that everybody switched to Yahoo.

2. Have you tried making a video call from the W8.1 Skype App? It fails up to twice every time before the call goes through.

This is me today. Called mom on Skype. Call failed. Called again. Call failed. Called on Viber. Goes through the first time. O feel dumb trying again and again ask the time, but I always do, wanting Skype to be successful... But it doesn't want to be.

anon(8763253)

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

The only problem I've had with video calls is the battery drain its crazy i continued to lose battery while my phone was charging

Jonathanmr7

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Said that before, its always "soon" and when it arrives it will still lack features compared to the competition. Not holding my breath.
i guess the updates are big because joe tweet about it xD and the "soon" of joe its not like the soon of whatsapp... so lets wait, at least end of the month when 8.1 arrive :X

tylerpw

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
There's growing dissatisfaction amongst WP users because of the lack of support for MS apps. I understand that MS is trying to focus efforts on iOS/android because of market share but how do you expect WP to grow if apps like Skype/GroupMe suck on your platform?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077