Microsoft slaps Apple in lazy new Siri vs Cortana advertisement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maitrikkataria

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
We all have been waiting for Microsoft to come out and start educating users with the help of quality marketing. It seems like Microsoft is listening now, Certainly this advertisement shows that! :smile:

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I already have a catch phrase going with this: "Windows Phone with Cortona, the new device for terrible husbands." ;-)

Personally I don't like the "we are so cool, the others aren't!!!!!" approach, seems childish to me. They could just make a commercial showing how awesome Cortona is and not trying to compare the 635 to an iPhone 5S, apart from Cortana and obviously the price they can only lose in such a comparison.

lancepr

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
They have to compare it, people just do not know Microsoft even makes a phone! I was showing a guy my phone the other day and he ask, "What droid phone is that??"
Microsoft has a big hill to climb on educating consumers about what they are making.
They really need to push the advertisement of windowsphone.com

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I already have a catch phrase going with this: "Windows Phone with Cortona, the new device for terrible husbands." ;-)Personally I don't like the "we are so cool, the others aren't!!!!!" approach, seems childish to me. They could just make a commercial showing how awesome Cortona is and not trying to compare the 635 to an iPhone 5S, apart from Cortana and obviously the price they can only lose in such a comparison.

Huh!!?! this doesn't compare the 635 to the 5S at all, it shows what Cortana can do regardless of the device. They could have used Samsung ATIV SE instead but they chose not to and lets not forget the Mac vs. PC adverts that Apple used to bash Microsoft.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Anyway, they're not comparing phones... the comparison is between Cortana and Siri - the 5S and 635 are the handsets they chose to use for the advert.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Huh!!?! this doesn't compare the 635 to the 5S at all, it shows what Cortana can do regardless of the device. They could have used Samsung ATIV SE instead but they chose not to and lets not forget the Mac vs. PC adverts that Apple used to bash Microsoft.

People obviously see a Lumia 635 compared to an iPhone 5S (probably the most recognized phone design). You can't put both phones next to each other and then expect people only to see Cortana and Siri.

Of course, this ad might work for Android users that dislike the iPhone, want to buy a new phone and think it's cool what they show in the ad. It don't see how it should attract iPhone users.

The Mac vs. PC adverts were terrible, they were crap. I really don't see why Microsoft should imitate it then. They are recycling an idea that was bad in the first place?

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
I already have a catch phrase going with this: "Windows Phone with Cortona, the new device for terrible husbands." ;-)

Personally I don't like the "we are so cool, the others aren't!!!!!" approach, seems childish to me. They could just make a commercial showing how awesome Cortona is and not trying to compare the 635 to an iPhone 5S, apart from Cortana and obviously the price they can only lose in such a comparison.

The comparision was with the virtual assistant both operating systems have. Coming back to your point,they showed that even so called iPhone 5s can't make Siri to help her chief but a low-end 635 can do it with Cortana! You can take it that way ;-)
Secondly, it was a pure advertisement of an AI assistant who is still in infancy but defeats all purpose of a matured AI (Siri) :p
Good to go MS, keep advertising like that. Let's be aggressive on what we have and how is it better than Siri :)

kencaz

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
It will be hard to get the Apple Fan-Boys and Girls to switch environments. But MS is doing a great job this year coming out with some nice hardware and software...

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Ok...well how do I tell. Cortana what time I have to be to work at? I get no traffic notifications. Not even with events in my calendar much less daily routine trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss