Microsoft's image is definitely turning around

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
It sure did in my eyes.

I was a lifelong Microsoft hating Apple fan for years.

Microsoft Office 2004 for the Mac, Zune and the Xbox were the first things I ever saw Microsoft do that I didn't think completely sucked.

Then Windows 7 came out and I really began to see that Microsoft was capable of making efficient, attractive and easy to use software. I never imagined it was possible after years of suffering through Windows 95, 98 and XP (my apologies to those of you who liked those OS's)

I bought a Lenovo ThinkPad with Windows 7 to complement my Mac (the only PC I've ever bought aside from an earlier ThinkPad running XP that turned out to be a bad experience)

I loved Windows 7. Still do.

I also noticed Windows Phone around the same time and I took a shine to it immediately. I was in the market for a phone for a while and I kept coming back to the store and playing with iPhones, Androids, Palm WebOS and the Windows Phones. The Palm WebOS phones and Windows Phones were the most appealing to me by far.

WebOS's future was in doubt then, so I was iffy about committing to it (I still haven't forgiven HP for running such a great platform into the ground)

Before Mango I wasn't ready to jump on board with no copy/paste. Once Mango came, I looked again... I still loved Windows Phone, but none of the hardware really excited me. Then I saw a rumor about a Nokia phone codenamed Stingray (this became the Lumia 800) and I fell in love with the design immediately.

I was sure that would be my next phone....So I waited and watched for a year.

Then one day the Lumia 900 appeared and I heard angels sing, and I've been here ever since.

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
But does it have Instagram?

Sorry. Someone had to. :cool:
lol...it didn't have all sorts of **** (Slingplayer was the breaking point...despite it being a launch announcement/patner, it never came), so I jumped, begrudgingly, to iOS. Now I sit with WP8, in a slightly better app situation, but still hoping for some other big players to come around. It wasn't a huge hit for me as I swapped my iP4 to my business line and dumped by BB Bold 9800. So any apps I am missing on my personal WP8 phone, I keep around on my business iP4.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
This...all of this! webOS is still, IMO, the most elegant phone OS to use.

Yes... I loved Palm devices since my Palm III back in 1998 or so. They've always done a brilliant job of designing a clear and attractive UI that is quite natural to use.

I loved WebOS when I saw it. Finally Palm had a worthy successor to Palm OS and it was superb, really made everything else seem rather ugly and limited by comparison.

I still feel my heart sink a little when I think about what has been lost there. Such a shame... I really hope the open source WebOS amounts to something and it lives on...

I remember seeing people buying up the heavily discounted HP TouchPads and then hacking them to install Android and I wanted to smack them. :angry:

The OS was the best part of the device and all they wanted to do was wipe it out so they could install ANDROID??? Really. Ugh...

Anyway, WebOS is effectively gone unfortunately, unless the open source version picks up and maybe by some miracle another OEM picks it up and decides to build new hardware around it. I'm not holding my breath though :/

I have to admit, there is a lot I liked about WebOS versus Windows Phone. I'd like to see Microsoft "borrow" some of their better ideas.

darkoman4

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
What was attractive about WebOS? I'm not familiar with it, but then I just got into smart phones at the end of 2011.
You can get used unlocked pixi+ for less then 35 dollars. Buy it and see for yourself. I have 5 WebOS devices, and every time I go back to them, I feel joy.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Just to point out, while we've all decided to go off-topic anyway, Palm-Pre had universal search! WP7 had it. 7.1 to 8.0 doesn't have it.

iHuGi

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
The New Microsoft is absolutely much better!

Windows Phone is a joy, Xbox has grown and its na awesome Console with amazing games, Windows 7/8 are absolutely outstanding :D New Office swings, Bing on the places it isnt BETA is pretty damn good!

New Microsoft is the best Microsoft, they now actually care about us consumers, something that didnt happen before.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss