Microsoft's Lumia line will be killed off in December, report claims

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
As Zac stated on our site, the Lumia lineup may be closing shop but the more important thing is that Windows 10 Mobile support will continue for a long time.
Like when the XP support was extended? That doesn't really mean much because they might patch security holes and stuff, but no improvements to apps will be made.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Lumia line won't be sold anymore - but that paves the way for the surface brand, right? You just can't have an empty hole there for the next few years - it has to be filled up. Sure there could be a delay but a few months at most

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Like when the XP support was extended? That doesn't really mean much because they might patch security holes and stuff, but no improvements to apps will be made.

If you read the article on WC you'll see that the support will mostly be for the X50 phones, which would make sense. But for how long? Who knows?

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Lumia line won't be sold anymore - but that paves the way for the surface brand, right? You just can't have an empty hole there for the next few years - it has to be filled up. Sure there could be a delay but a few months at most

MS isn't into making hardware. I thought most people would have caught onto that by now.

They want OEMs to make hardware in the way OEMs make hardware for PCs.

MS will most likely bring out some sort of 'Surface phone' but they'll be high end like the Surface tablet. This whole belief that there's some golden phone ready to be released and will save WM is a bit funny at times. I'm sure it will be a great phone for those who can afford it and if you're happy with what's available on W10M.

So anyone wanting a mid or low end device will probably have to look to the OEMs for that. That's when/if they get released.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Are you saying im FAT or PHAT? ;P

NO, NO!!! Look at my avatar. Happy Dog Here.

As Zac stated on our site, the Lumia lineup may be closing shop but the more important thing is that Windows 10 Mobile support will continue for a long time.
THey won't have anything to support for me if they don't have any phones for me.

So anyone wanting a mid or low end device will probably have to look to the OEMs for that. That's when/if they get released.
You said it !

Peace. Alan
ICON 929 [Win10 M, Insider Preview, Redstone 2, 14915.1000.] :winktongue:

Last edited by a moderator:

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Not to mention if Carriers take them on since the regular consumer is unlikely to go looking for an unlocked Windows Phone online. So far the T-Mobile Alcatel is the only available inexpensive OEM consumer device available in this regard.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...anyone wanting a mid or low end device will probably have to look to the OEMs for that. That's when/if they get released.

Not to mention if Carriers take them on since the regular consumer is unlikely to go looking for an unlocked Windows Phone online. So far the T-Mobile Alcatel is the only available inexpensive OEM consumer device available in this regard.

Looking to carriers will probably result in frustration.

Yep, T-Mo is the only one seemingly willing to carry a 3rd party OEM for W10M. I believe it is so they can have an "exclusive" and nurse hurt feelings over AT&T being the only one to carry any of the x50 Lumias. I wouldn't look to T-Mo long though with their lackluster record of Windows device grab and drop.

By and large we are going to be BYOD around this platform. Sorry Verizon people.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

Yep, T-Mo is the only one seemingly willing to carry a 3rd party OEM for W10M. I believe it is so they can have an "exclusive" and nurse hurt feelings over AT&T being the only one to carry any of the x50 Lumias. I wouldn't look to T-Mo long though with their lackluster record of Windows device grab and drop.

By and large we are going to be BYOD around this platform. Sorry Verizon people.
On the other hand, if T-Mobile do get Windows OEM phones I wouldn't have any trouble buying direct from them since they are generally much cheaper and I can always unlock it later through them.

Anyway, let's see if that Alcatel Idol Pro 4 makes an appearance...

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Its W10M that is letting the Lumias down. Constant crashing, restarting, apps not working, skype broken, one drive broken and they keep moving the settings around in each build. 950 excellent, W10 crap.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

I know :crying:

Peace. Alan
ICON 929 [Win10 M, Insider Preview, Redstone 2, 14915.1000.] :crying:

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

BUT WAIT!!! The HP Elite X3 has a CDMA radio in it but MS and HP have it turned off by firmware. Isn't this a sign that MS may start playing with VZW. If MS want's to get businesses to buy into W10M on phones with the "One Whole Ecosystem", Continuum, in mind, they HAVE to bare in mind that there may well be more businesses on Verizon than all the other carriers combined.
How many big corporations are on T-Mobile or Sprint - especially nationwide corporations?

Peace. Alan

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
BUT WAIT!!! The HP Elite X3 has a CDMA radio in it but MS and HP have it turned off by firmware. Isn't this a sign that MS may start playing with VZW.

By default, Qualcomm SoCs have all the radios. OEM's pay for the ones they want enabled. What a model has is a sign of what the OEM finds it worthwhile to pay for.

Shamshi-Adad

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
By default, Qualcomm SoCs have all the radios. OEM's pay for the ones they want enabled. What a model has is a sign of what the OEM finds it worthwhile to pay for.
Oh... Still a LOT of corporations on VZW. Let me hope.:grincry:

Peace. Alan

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site

It makes sense to think along the klines of ' they spent a lot of money on Nokia so they wouldn't just dump it'.
Unfortunately, in the business world, it will save them more money to cut their losses.
Lumia is the best brand of phone I've seen. In my opinion, it is better than iDevices and Samsung lines. They are still dropping it though which makes one think that they are looking at it purely from a business point of view.

At this point, everything I've read about the surface phone points to it being pure speculation. If there was going to be a surface phone, it will be geared towards business users and the camera (the reason people buy high end Lumias) will not be top of the range or have particularly newsworthy specs.

jadonx

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
For what I've seen there is nothing that can replace my Lumia. Its frustrating that there has been poor marketing and a stubborn willingness to create some apps from certain companies. As can be seen below from phone Arena users know the best phones and not the marketers-

Attachments

• lumia 930.jpg
    lumia 930.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 14
  • lumia comparisson.jpg
    lumia comparisson.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

iamakii

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
If OEMs wont bother why would consumers do? Windows 10 Mobile is going down the drain and will be enterprise focused.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb