MMS broken on Lumia 925

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Just picked up a Lumia 925 for my sister last week. Only issue is, the MMS doesn't work. If she sends one it never shows up, and if she receives one it shows on her phone but says it cannot download it. Anyone else run into this or know what the issue could be?

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
There are two things known to affect MMS. Make sure you have Wi-Fi Calling set to "Cellular preferred" and turn off Wi-Fi and turn on your cellular data. It should work after that, both sending and receiving.

tollonodre

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
So to be clear, it only works on a cell signal and not WiFi - I have my WiFi calling set to 'Cellular Preferred' but it still doesn't work for me because I have ZERO cell bars where I'm at.

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Ahh now I understand why some things don't go through. I, like tollonodre usually have no bars where I live. The phone would be useless without wifi calling and wifi calling is stopping the messaged photos. One mystery cleared up...........thanks.

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know the technical reason why MMS doesn't work over WiFi? Just like on my 920 on AT&T as well, when I am overseas you cannot send MMS without data roaming enabled, even if you are connected to WiFi. So it seems this is a wider problem around how MMS works.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know the technical reason why MMS doesn't work over WiFi? Just like on my 920 on AT&T as well, when I am overseas you cannot send MMS without data roaming enabled, even if you are connected to WiFi. So it seems this is a wider problem around how MMS works.

I'm pretty sure it's just T-Mobile not allowing it. They're weird that way. I never had problems with MMS with any phones up until I got my iPhone 4 because I always kept my data active, even on the old phones that only got GPRS. It's kinda lame, actually.

kwambe5

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure it's just T-Mobile not allowing it. They're weird that way. I never had problems with MMS with any phones up until I got my iPhone 4 because I always kept my data active, even on the old phones that only got GPRS. It's kinda lame, actually.
Well that is the difference. You have kept your data connection active all the time so you never had a problem with your MMS. MMS is connected to your cell service so if you have none, it will not work.

tpapictures

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I have the Lumia 925 in France on my provider SFR. Someone just sent me an MMS from an iPhone, I was on WiFi, and I had the same issue. Switching to my 4G data worked. So, clearly this isn't just a T-Mo thing. But I was under the impression that MMS and SMS use telephony to be sent and not data. So why does the WiFi being on have anything to do with an MMS not getting through? Does it have anything to do with the MMS coming from an iPhone? It doesn't appear to me as much to be that the 4G somehow lets the MMS pass, but rather more that the WiFi somehow blocks it. That seems like it would make more sense to me.
Any ideas or concrete knowledge on this?

Dusteater

Aug 24, 2010
Visit site
I have the Lumia 925 in France on my provider SFR. Someone just sent me an MMS from an iPhone, I was on WiFi, and I had the same issue. Switching to my 4G data worked. So, clearly this isn't just a T-Mo thing. But I was under the impression that MMS and SMS use telephony to be sent and not data. So why does the WiFi being on have anything to do with an MMS not getting through? Does it have anything to do with the MMS coming from an iPhone? It doesn't appear to me as much to be that the 4G somehow lets the MMS pass, but rather more that the WiFi somehow blocks it. That seems like it would make more sense to me.
Any ideas or concrete knowledge on this?

MMS does use data to send unlike SMS. All four of my phones have this issue on T-Mobile. It seems to have to do with Wi-Fi calling. T-Mobile stated they are working with Nokia on new firmware, but doubt it's high on the priority list. I just got 1520's on AT&T because WP simply won't work on T-Mobile.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss